GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Question re Rizoma LED signal lights

Go down 
+2
pauldaytona
ITSecurity
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

Question re Rizoma LED signal lights Empty
PostSubject: Question re Rizoma LED signal lights   Question re Rizoma LED signal lights Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:09 am

From what I've read, the Rizoma LED turn signal lights have internal resistors to be compatible with many bikes. However, it's also noted that additional resistors are needed for other machines. I've got some of these on the way, and I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's installed Rizoma LED turn indicators on whether they needed additional resistor blocks.
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: Question re Rizoma LED signal lights   Question re Rizoma LED signal lights Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:39 am

I don't have them, but they are mainly for bimetal relais. Could only be that the lamp check doesn't get the LED's , so then it's handy for that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
cbxtc6
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
cbxtc6

PostSubject: Re: Question re Rizoma LED signal lights   Question re Rizoma LED signal lights Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:54 am

I have these on my GRiSO, and don't have the additional resistors. Work great - so well, I get compliments from other riders on how visible they are!
Back to top Go down
thekenheld
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
thekenheld

PostSubject: Re: Question re Rizoma LED signal lights   Question re Rizoma LED signal lights Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:22 am

Don't know if they're all the same, but my Rizomas came with two plug-in resistors each. I had to use one of those for each indicator to avoid the dash warning.
But like I said: they were included in the package.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Question re Rizoma LED signal lights   Question re Rizoma LED signal lights Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:37 am

Which ones have you ordered ? ....will be useful to know how they turn out (and turn on & off Wink ) for future decisions
Back to top Go down
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Question re Rizoma LED signal lights   Question re Rizoma LED signal lights Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:17 am

thekenheld wrote:
Don't know if they're all the same, but my Rizomas came with two plug-in resistors each. I had to use one of those for each indicator to avoid the dash warning.
But like I said: they were included in the package.

AF1 includes the extra resistors in the package, as I recall - but I ordered mine from Amazon to get the style I wanted (in stock) and they came with just the lights. Not sure what practices other vendors follow.
Back to top Go down
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Question re Rizoma LED signal lights   Question re Rizoma LED signal lights Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:18 am

paulbrice wrote:
Which ones have you ordered ? ....will be useful to know how they turn out (and turn on & off Wink ) for future decisions

I'll post all that once they're installed, likely later this week.
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Question re Rizoma LED signal lights   Question re Rizoma LED signal lights Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:02 pm

Tony - the bike had cheapo LED turn indicators when I bought it and they lit up the dash warning light. My $.02 is use the resistors.
Back to top Go down
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Question re Rizoma LED signal lights   Question re Rizoma LED signal lights Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:38 pm

EricS wrote:
Tony - the bike had cheapo LED turn indicators when I bought it and they lit up the dash warning light. My $.02 is use the resistors.

I suspected that when I saw the telecom splices in the wiring behind the signals. Wink

The reason I was asking is that the Rizoma info specifically states that on some Piaggio bikes (Aprilia) their internal resistors are adequate, while on others they are not. My tests yesterday showed the GRiSO is one of those where the external resistors are required. I have some that I'd prefer not to use (too physically big, 50W 8 Ohm) so I ordered some ones about half that size (25W 6 Ohm) which should be up to the job. These are supposed to arrive Saturday, so I should have some results after the weekend.

There are some unused threaded holes in the mount for the headlight shell that I'll likely use as mount points for the resistors so that they can act as proper heat sinks. I may also fabricate some different mounts for the carbon-fiber flyscreen that go to those holes (or some other location) rather than using the shell mount screws. I like that flyscreen, but the mounting tabs on it are a bit cheesy. Oddly, when I go to Lockhart-Phillips' website I can't find it anywhere, nor any mounting parts that look like they'd fit.
Back to top Go down
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Question re Rizoma LED signal lights   Question re Rizoma LED signal lights Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:22 pm

Well, the definitive answer for adding Rizoma signals is this:

They do require an external resistor bridged across the circuit just before the lines go to the turn signal. You do not need to use the commonly offered 50 watt 8 Ohm resistor blocks (big!); the smaller 25 watt 6 Ohm blocks (much easier to hide) are up to the task.

Behind the headlight, the resistors have no place to be easily mounted, so the best bet is to use a hose clamp to bind them together back-to-back and then suspend them in open air so the heat they create won't melt anything. I used zip ties up and down to do this.

At the rear, best bet is to splice them in within the tail-piece at the VERY back end behind the seat. If you take off the tail/side bodywork, it's easy to use hose clamps to tie one resistor down on each side to the frame; again, this will keep them out of the way and where they can dissipate heat without affecting anything adversely.

Photos to come shortly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question re Rizoma LED signal lights   Question re Rizoma LED signal lights Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Question re Rizoma LED signal lights
Page 1 of 1