GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Heated Grips

Go down 
+5
nblades
not-fishing
GUZ21
sidrat
MrGPz
9 posters
AuthorMessage
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Heated Grips   Heated Grips Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:46 am

Just put on Oxford heated grips, ready for winter
Was going to photo but you all know what a pair of grips look like Smile
They were very easy to fit, instructions clear and controls are nicely mounted on the handlebar
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips   Heated Grips Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:58 pm

on mine too, they are great
Back to top Go down
GUZ21
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
GUZ21

Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips   Heated Grips Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:28 pm

Only criticism might be that they are useless on anything less than max setting. Gotta wonder if the designer tested them without gloves.

For those times when you need them they are a quantum leap forward from warming your hands on the rocker covers.
Back to top Go down
not-fishing
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
not-fishing

Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips   Heated Grips Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:48 am

Hey, I'm not warming my hands on the rocker covers. I'm just giving my GRiSO a little pat like horsemen do.
Back to top Go down
nblades
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
nblades

Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips   Heated Grips Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:24 pm

Here in Canada those rocker covers come in handy! They even make winter rated motorcycle tires, but I haven't seen anyone use a pair yet. I guess some provinces require winter tires between December 15 and March 15.
I had the Oxford grips on my cruiser, and loved them. I justed used my thin gloves so I could feel the heat on the lower settings.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips   Heated Grips Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:39 pm

GUZ21 wrote:
Only criticism might be that they are useless on anything less than max setting. Gotta wonder if the designer tested them without gloves.

For those times when you need them they are a quantum leap forward from warming your hands on the rocker covers.

Thats intersting, because even when my fingers froze to death, i found i has sweaty palms and couldnt have it on 100%
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips   Heated Grips Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:35 pm

Me too, the Oxfords are much hotter than the OEM heated grips that Guzzi supply for their other models.

If they have to run on high, I suggest you have a fault. First thing i would check would be the ground connection. Mine are connected directly across the battery, which invalidated my battery warranty according to my dealer.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips   Heated Grips Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:37 am

Just fitting Heat Demons to replace temporary (2 years) wrap on oxford ones. Suggestion in Forum is to have the wire coming out underneath at front but when I do that the element is underneath the throttle with gap on top ?. Anyone know if this is right (so your fingers get heated more than palm) or am I missing something - picture attached. If I move the wire to the other gap for wire, it sits front/top and looks crap
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PS the meths is for removing the grips & not for personal consumption
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips   Heated Grips Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:07 am

heated gloves is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips   Heated Grips Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:30 pm

Ease-of-use for me .....problem solved by trimming the sleeve off the wiring to the heat pad so it can move but not leave a bulge under grip (only the small wires are under the grip up to shoulder). Also adapted the symtec bracket to move it closer to horizontal. Ordered up wires, relays & connectors/fuses to put it under switched relay and separate wiring under seat rather than direct common connection to headlamp wires (which don't look like they would fancy another 3 amps), which was suggested elsewhere

Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips   Heated Grips Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:59 pm

paulbrice wrote:
Just fitting Heat Demons to replace temporary (2 years) wrap on oxford ones. Suggestion in Forum is to have the wire coming out underneath at front but when I do that the element is underneath the throttle with gap on top ?. Anyone know if this is right (so your fingers get heated more than palm) or am I missing something - picture attached. If I move the wire to the other gap for wire, it sits front/top and looks crap

First time I have seen this heater.
I am sure it will be a bugger to fit the rubber grips back on the handlebar. they were pretty hard to get off.
The throttle slider also has a heap of ridges, that I had to shave off to get the Oxford on, don't know how much trouble these will be.

Let us know the outcome,
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips   Heated Grips Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:28 am

They came off really easily just lifting the edge with small plastic tool & meths poured in......I cut all the ridges off the throttle side and put heat shrink over to increase diameter (heat shrink throttle side second time around - first time the throttle tube was too small diameter after shaving ridges even with the elements, so grip twisted). Refit using hair spray to lubricate it.....

It's actually easy to do but need to have spare heat shrink around & I bought new grips to change at same time (and as insurance policy also comes with another throttle tube)
Back to top Go down
2cylinderguy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
2cylinderguy

Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips   Heated Grips Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:27 pm

paulbrice wrote:

I shall be very interested to hear how you get on with the fitting, and living with these. They're what I'm looking at but now that spring has 'finally' decided to slightly arrive in the UK I shall wait until the end of summer now. In about two weeks...
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips   Heated Grips Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:26 am

Some fitting details for reference in case it helps.....

With the ribs & stuff shaved off the throttle tube it is just over 2mm thinner diameter. After just fitting pads to that & grips bit wobbly I stripped it down again & added two 30mm id heat shrinks (Turnigy) which added back about 2.6 mm diameter; then stuck on the heater pad which is almost nothing thickness.

Carved out the shape you see to 'hold' the cable from slipping out & had tested and was going to use small ring og 23 mm bike inner tube to hold cable around throttle tube (but forgot to fit it in my excitement 0 would recommend it though).

Carved out small exit in end of throttle grip at throttle side for cable out

Wiggle the wires as picture and fit cable to shaped notch; spray loads of hair lacquer & slide on.

All fits & just needs electrics connecting, switch and tie clips.....currently planning whether to do it all at handlebars behind control switch with solder & heat shrink joints & just run two wire back to relay (already there from oxford external heat grips); or host all the connections behind headlamp or even back behind snorkel (I have enough wire !)
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips   Heated Grips Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:45 am

Paul, i saved the money and bought these grips, although i didn't go to the lengths you have gone to, but i was happy with them, for about a week when one failed.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips   Heated Grips Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Heated Grips
Page 1 of 1