GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?

Go down 
+10
Converted Duc
cognosticator
bahamazoo
ratso88
sidrat
nblades
Pete Roper
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
Bill Hagan
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Empty
PostSubject: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:40 pm

I searched and found several brand-specific ones, but thought we had a "best tire for Grisos" generic one.

Yeah, I know those are subjective, with anecdata, not real numbers, but I like such things.

Anyway, pending someone pointing out that I missed the obvious long-lived and informative existing thread, I'll just ask here.

So ... my GRiSO has gone 7K+ miles on its MPR4's.  They are now at their wear bars and, lucky me for the curvy back roads I ride, they are rounded from center to side, not squared.  Still, while cords are probably a K away, it's time for new ones.

I have the "regular" 4's on the GRiSO, and the GT's on the Norge -- on which the previous set gave me 8K+ miles.  Bear in mind that my previous typical cording was at 4.2K average.  Moreover, I am no Rossi, but I have been able to detect deterioration in performance on other tires as soon as halfway from cording.  The MPR 4's, not at all.

OK, OK, here's my quandary.

Do I put the the tried and true MP4's (tho in GT version) on the GRiSO, or the new 5's, which seem not to have a GT model?

High mileage is nice, and the 5's apparently out-perform the 4's in that race, but safety and handling are more important to me.

Anyone tried 5's on a GRiSO?

Here's ads for both:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Grazie mille.

Bill

P.S.  "As I speak," I hear the blipping of thousands throttles.  In Erie for Kathi's 50th high-school reunion -- where, yes, I am her trophy husband and eye candy  jocolor  -- it's also the weekend for the "Roar on the Shore," [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] & [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  OMG.

Last edited by Bill Hagan on Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Bill, quandry indeed. Someone has to be the first with the PR5s and you are at the bleeding edge in so many other ways - a veritable trailblazer, methinks.

I thought the PR5 was coming out with a GT version - either that or I expected they would.

Having the same kinda weight, the GTs would suit the GRiSO, as does the Norge (and Sport and Breva). I dunno, what does the wallet say?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:20 pm

I thought there was a tyre thread as well?  scratch

I'm also sure a member here is using PR5's....

I like the GT's. They suit the corpulent fat portly sturdy GRiSO.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:25 pm

Found it:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:25 pm

^^^^

Grazie, Mark, tho at the warp speed of tire technology -- I doff my helmet in respect to the engineers who have done so much for safety and performance and fun in a relatively very short time -- that thread is dated.

I did see on the Michelin website just now that the GT version won't show up until next year, so I think I'll re-shoe my sweetie with the MPR 4' GT's and wait for next time for the Road 5 GT's.

Best from Erie, Pa., where  ... oh, never mind. Rolling Eyes

Bill
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:49 am

I have gone to Road5 from PR4 and I have to admit I prefer the PR4

Last edited by Robinson_Spike on Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:11 am

There are also 'experts' who say the flat tappet issue is just internet hysteria. So, I take that sage advice under advisement. PR4 GT + GRiSO = good.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:54 am

Robinson_Spike wrote:

Thanks.

As I said, above, if I mount the 5's, I'll wait for the GT's.

Nonetheless curious if you have to time to say here why you prefer the 4's.  

I very much like mine, but the (factory) claims and all reviews I've seen -- beyond some comments on vids and elsewhere -- are all very positive about the 5's.

Thanks.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Hagan on Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:04 am

Bill Hagan wrote:
Robinson_Spike wrote:

Thanks.

I very much like mine, but the (factory) claims and all reviews I've seen -- beyond some comments on vids and elsewhere -- are all very positive.

Thanks.

Bill

I did and in good faith but the first shots were fired so I just deleted it all hence the ‘edited’ note
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:33 am

It's all pretty subjective I think. There are certainly tyres that are worse in some applications than others and generally because it's a big, heavy, pig the GRiSO prefers tyres with a good stiff sidewall and that is the main reason the PR4's work so well for most people. I'm a big fan too.

Currently I'm running Conti Sport Attacks on the alloy wheels on my bike. They are great and give tons of feedback as well as sticking like shit to a blanket but boy oh boy they aren't going to last long! Not so much of a problem for me as generally for longer distance work I'll use the Stelvio nowadays. The GRiSO is used more for stress relief and ripping up shit on the weekend.

Pete

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:03 am

Robinson_Spike wrote:

I did and in good faith but the first shots were fired so I just deleted it all hence the ‘edited’ note

I was referring to your tyre guy's comment re the PR4 GT & GRiSO, not your review, FFS.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:40 am

Bill Hagan wrote:
Robinson_Spike wrote:

Thanks.

I very much like mine, but the (factory) claims and all reviews I've seen -- beyond some comments on vids and elsewhere -- are all very positive about the 5's.

Thanks.

Bill

Ok PR4 are great never missed a beat good wear 5000miles from the rear no problem. At 40psi the full tyre gets used just as the footpeg or sidestand touch down. Rode 2000 miles in a wet dry and damp Picos mountains - just faultless.

The R5 is only better than the PR4 in the wet according to Michelin - how much do you ride in the wet?
R5 are a different profile and are more triangular section like sports tyre so tips in quickly but i am not able to get all the way to the edge of the rear before metal hits the floor - less tyre pressure does allow this but they soon turn to snot when hot. When cold they do slip a bit on initial turn in and I have managed to spin it up coming out of corners which never happened on PR4.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:41 am

beetle wrote:
Robinson_Spike wrote:

I was referring to your tyre guy's comment re the PR4 GT & GRiSO, not your review, FFS.

I’d not had my happy pill this morning x

Back to top Go down
nblades
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
nblades

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:14 am

Thanks for the advise so far everyone. I have been thinking about the PR5's also. I'm still running the original Metzelers from the factory, and I'm just cresting 8k. I'l be watching this thread to see what others say. Hoping to run my current tires till winter (October), and then change tires once the snow fly's.

Norm
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:06 pm

just for a change, i use Pirelli Angel ST front and rear, grip like poo to a blanket, but dont get the mileage you guys are getting out of the michelins. Maybe 7K out of the front and 5k out of the rear.
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:21 am

I'm running the R5's. I picked up a set when I got a rear flat leaving Phoenix this past spring. The stock Metzelers are the only thing I have to compare them against so not much depth on my part. I do like the ride quality and yes they turn in much better. Makes the GRiSO feel lighter and smaller. As far as wear, I have a couple thousand miles on them and have not noted any excessive wear.

I would recommend them. Two thumbs up.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:39 am

What about wet riding (grip, confidence) Ratso?
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:35 am

Like Mr Roper, I too have the Conti Road Attack II Evo... -well, I'm guessing his are the Evo...
All of wot ee said, with the addition of being great in the wet, and mine are now up to 10,000km...
- and they are still very legal. I'm guessing another 3-4000.
They have had to do (unfortunately) about 5500km on the boring slab, but with very little squaring off.
I've had enjoyed the Angels, and the MP4's, but when required, I will be re-shoeing with these again.
and again.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:50 am

They are favourably priced when compared to the PR4's, too. Hmm...

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:13 am

I'll post pics tomoz if you like...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:06 am

Mine are actually Sport Attacks and are much softer than the Road Attacks which explains their rapid wear but boy they're fun.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:38 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Mine are actually Sport Attacks and are much softer than the Road Attacks which explains their rapid wear but boy they're fun.

Intersting, i have tried the sportier Pirelli Diablos but the sidewalls are too soft for such a big beast making them wear is a peculier fashon, not a problem with the sport attacks then?

I have the track attacks on the trak day bike and they are great
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:35 pm

I am on my second set of Pirelli Angel ST. Did a track day with the first set back in Feb and changed them out at 4,000 miles but probably had another 1,000 left in them but made a trip to the mountains and decided to put new ones on. I can ride as hard as I want to in both wet and dry, and I did a couple of weeks ago. Heading out Wednesday for 5 days in Western North Carolina stationed out of the Iron Horse motorcycle campground.

At $210 a set delivered, they work great for me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:41 pm

I am currently runnning the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2s and can only compare them to the original Metzlers that were on the bike and completely squared off when I first got it.
The Pirellis work well once warmed up but I never have had much faith in the front end, it always felt vague.
I sprung for a new rear shock and had work done to the front forks at the same time. The bike was then set up by someone who knows what they are doing as oposed to me.
Following this the bike feels more planted and I get better use out of the tyres. I still am not completely sold on the front and will try another make when necessary. They only have around 3000 km up so no wear issues as yet, the dual compound rear feels great and is still nice and round.
The vague front end might be something to do with pressures I still have to experiement I have been running F 34 - R 38.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:35 pm

as mentioned...
ContiRoadAttack 2 EVO

they have a dual compound... or perhaps they "blend an advanced compound with their tread technology that delivers radically improved mileage combined with a level of grip, safety and dynamics never known before in the hyper sport-touring market."

whatever that means... Sleep

but they do have 10,132km on them...

ok, the 1200 2V only just weighs in at 246kg (542lb) at the kerb, and I am a measly 105kg (230lb) straight outta the shower, so not the massive bulk of Mr GRiSO, and maybe potentially possibly around 70kW (94hp) so again not the staggering wallop of the 4V head... but I do try to use most of them around the bendy bits...
They do not seem to require much warming up either!!
As I said, I'll be slipping another set on when these get thin.

ok, front not shown, but its at the other end and looks quite similar Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?   What, No GRiSO Tire Thread? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What, No GRiSO Tire Thread?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next