GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Shock Settings

Go down 
+3
waterbottle
sidrat
Kiwi_Roy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:34 pm

Electrickery is a piece of cake for me but suspension setting is black magic, I don't have a clue about it.
I had the rear strut (OEM Sachs) rebuilt after trashing it on the Dempster, now I would like to learn how to adjust it for a somewhat softer ride
I think I understand the concept of rider sag as compensating for my fat butt ~ 30% of full travel, I carved out a wrench for that from 1/8" Aluminum

I tweaked the screws a bit (about 1/4 turn) but couldn't notice any difference.
The bike is an 07 1100 with I believe the stock suspension.
I read the thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] not much of it stuck but it impressed the hell out of me.

I sort of understand the concept of one adjustment for compression and one for rebound.
I assume if I hit a Speed bump as the wheel gets pushed up, that's compression, as it passes over the bump and drops back down that's rebound
By the same token if the wheel drops into a pothole the first damper would be rebound then as it climbs back out would be compression
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

On the front fork which adjustment is Compression and which is for rebound?

On the rear strut which adjustment is for compression which for rebound?

So I thought I would copy down my current settings and beg for some advice

Front Top  One full turn CCW  

Front Bottom  One full turn CCW (Toward S)

Rear Top  1/2 turn CCW Its hard to tell if this is toward S or H

Rear Bottom 10 clicks (1 full turn CCW)  Towards S I think

Any suggestion of a good starting point would be much appreciated.

I dont do track days like some of you guys, I just want a ride that doesn't rattle my choppers out

Thanks in advance

Roy
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:03 am

Ok so the adjusters on both the forks and rear shock the bottom adjuster is for rebound and the top adjuster is for Compression.

Although its a pain to do on the rear, you need to set some static sag, as there is not much shock movement then 10mm is fine, same with the front (but easier to do).

The rear shock is undersprung and over damped and the stock damping settings are trying to comensate for that, the front end is a little harsh, but so so bad. As a starting point try these settings.

Front
compression: 1/4 T (stock: 1 T)
rebound: 2 1/4 T (stock: 1.5 T)
preload: 5th mark (stock: 4th)

Rear
compression: 1/4 T (stock: 1.5 T)
rebound: 40 clicks (stock: 17)
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:37 am

Thanks for the quick response, from your suggested settings I am obviously a mile out.

So Static sag, is that without my fat backside on the bike?
I assume thats set with the rear spring adjuster.

Preload on the front, did I miss how to adjust that, what marks are you referring to?

So the rear compression is fully closed then open just 1/4 turn (half what it is now)?
Rebound 4 x present setting.

BTW I should confess I weigh in at 217 lb (85 kg) oopps 98 kg

Last edited by Kiwi_Roy on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:58 am

Yes static sag is just the weight of the bike, so that there is a little bit of suspension over bumps for the bike and yes you set it with the rear spring adjuster. The problem you are going to have with the standard spring is that as it is too soft you will probably need a LOT more preload to make it work for you. I ran mine without any static sag at all and i am 85kg.

Front preload is adjusted with the silver nut on the top of the forks, there are two, the larger one underneath dismantles the forks so its the top one you want. As you unscrew it it will slowly show you some rings, mine is showing 5.

your 217lb sounds nearer to 98kg??

Dont worry about being a mile out with your rebound and compression, its not you, its the factory!!!!

I have since added a little more rebound, i was up to about 25 before i purchased a stelvio shock that sorted the problem as it has a far stronger spring :-)
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:24 am

Thanks for that,
Yes I was being kind to myself when I converted lb to kg 98 it is
So if I hear you correct when I set the preload for my fat arse I will have no static sag as the result.
I will dial in your damper figures and try it out over the weekend.

Thanks again for your help
Roy
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:28 am

Kiwi_Roy wrote:

So if I hear you correct when I set the preload for my fat arse I will have no static sag as the result.
Roy

Yes i am sorry to tell you that is correct. You will need to adjust the spring according to your weight, as you can see from the picture below, even with my 85KG i had my old GRiSO shock (red spring) almost all wound in. That is what you will need to do along with the damping changes i suggested as a starting point, you will notice the difference.

Your next stop after that is a stelvio shock!! (yellow spring)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:18 am

sidrat wrote:
Ok so the adjusters on both the forks and rear shock the bottom adjuster is for rebound and the top adjuster is for Compression.

Ummm, SidRat, Upper adjuster on the forks is Rebound. The Lower Adjuster is Compression Suspect Standard adjustment recommendations are in the pilots handbook cheers
Rear shock is correct, upper compression, lower rebound Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 am

^^^^^^ You are absolutely right :-) ^^^^^^^
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:58 am

So I need to transpose the numbers on the front. 2-1/4 at the top, 1/4 at the bottom.

You mean theres some information in the owners manual, i thought it was just dire warnings.

Thank you gentlemen.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:37 pm

These are the settings I ended up with. I initially changed it all to the stock settings and then the one recommended in the Ghetto, and ended up with what is below. Almost 3 years now and haven't made any changes. Several have used the settings and been very happy.

FRONT
Preload - 3 lines showing tube is on 4th line
BOTTOM (compression) - 1.25 turns out
TOP (rebound) 1.5 turns out

REAR
Preload - in stock position
BOTTOM (rebound) - 22 clicks out
TOP (compression) - Turned ALL the way out, fully open
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:49 pm

I went for a nice ride today, the suspension seems much better than before although I haven't really put it to a proper test yet.
I'm now looking for bumps rather than trying to avoid them thanks to Sidrat's settings.

Just to summarize the settings in case anyone is interested

According to the Manual
Front Forks
Compression (bottom screws) 1 turn CCW
Rebound (top screws) 1-1/2 Turns CCW
Preload (top nuts) 5th (4 bands showing 5th band just hidden)

Rear Strut
Compression (top screw) 1/4 turn CCW
Rebound (bottom screw) 17 clicks CCW (1-3/4 turns)
Preload (large nuts) not given.

According to Sidrat
Front Forks
Compression (bottom screws) 1/4 turn CCW
Rebound (top screws) 2-1/4 Turns CCW
Preload (top nuts) 5th (4 bands showing 5th band just hidden)

Rear Strut
Compression (top screw) 1/4 turn CCW
Rebound (bottom screw) 40 clicks CCW (4 turns)
Preload (large nuts) not given

Last edited by Kiwi_Roy on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:15 pm

now all you have to do is fine tune it for you :-)
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:10 pm

Yes, its already much better.
The guy who overhauled the rear strut has a great reputation I will try and get him to do it.

I hope you don't mind me posting your settings, if you see anything wrong I will change it accordingly.
Thanks
Roy
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Post away the more people that adjust the suspension to make it work as it should the more enjoyment for everyone. Now all you need to do is look for a second hand stelvio shock :-) Its an even bigger improvement!
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:58 pm

I just ordered a used Traxxion Dynamic Stelvio shock from fleabay (Pinwall cycle parts) US$289,
we will see.

Last edited by Kiwi_Roy on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:35 pm

Just check that it is the standard spring rate 11kg/mm
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:53 am

Kiwi_Roy wrote:
I just ordered a used Traxxion Dynamic Stelvio shock from flabby (Pinwall cycle parts) US$289,
we will see.

I talked to Traxxion about rebuilding that shock, they said for $260 they would completely rebuild it. Still not a bad price for a "new" shock and the guys at Traxxion are very helpful and love to talk about suspensions.
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:56 am

Still with the stock suspension I had a petite lady pillion the other day, she asked if I had any suspension, seems like it jolted her back when we went over a bump, maybe just 1/4 turn on rear compression is not enough.
Then again maybe it was bottoming out.
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:03 pm

sidrat wrote:

Although its a pain to do on the rear, you need to set some static sag, as there is not much shock movement then 10mm is fine, same with the front (but easier to do).

The rear shock is undersprung and over damped and the stock damping settings are trying to comensate for that, the front end is a little harsh, but so so bad. As a starting point try these settings.

Front
compression: 1/4 T (stock: 1 T)
rebound: 2 1/4 T (stock: 1.5 T)
preload: 5th mark (stock: 4th)

Rear
compression: 1/4 T (stock: 1.5 T)
rebound: 40 clicks (stock: 17)

Before a 700 mile trip this past weekend I went with your rebound and compression setting. I had already set my sag but used some suggestions about the compression and rebound from another forum. I will say your settings made the ride very comfortable going over the normal bumps and dips. Thanks for the suggestions
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:53 pm

Kiwi_Roy wrote:
Still with the stock suspension I had a petite lady pillion the other day, she asked if I had any suspension, seems like it jolted her back when we went over a bump, maybe just 1/4 turn on rear compression is not enough.
Then again maybe it was bottoming out.

Spring rate is too low on the standard spring supplied with the bike, which is 9.5kg/mm. I am running a stelvio shock which comes as standard with a 11kg/mm spring. If you cannot afford/dont want to change the rear shock then a heavier spring will help a lot.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:59 pm

I still have on the red spring OEM shock

I also have a Traxxion Dynamic Stelvio shock from fleabay - Black spring I think it's waiting for me to pick up this Friday.
Back to top Go down
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:57 pm

sidrat wrote:
heavier spring will help a lot.

What spring options are available for the OEM setup?  OR with the various spring rates is there a set of specs that the OEM set up needs like unsprung length , ID, OD ...

Right now the more  inexpensive change the spring option is right for me.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
svru
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
svru

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:07 pm

Using Ohlins 1095 spring on OEM shock. 180 mm long, ID 57mm. Going from what I believe to be an early 8,7 kg/mm to a 14,3 kg/mm made a huge improvement. Fully open comp damping and a bit more rebound. Now running a 11,2 kg/mm, not to much difference, but easier to dial in SAG. A bit over 90 kg geared up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shock Settings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock Settings   Shock Settings Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Shock Settings
Page 1 of 1