GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA

Go down 
+4
Street
GHTE
MrGPz
Mbeach
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mbeach
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Mbeach

New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA Empty
PostSubject: New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA   New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:20 pm

I took delivery of my 2017 a few weeks ago, and I've managed to put a few enjoyable miles on the bike since.
I bought it completely unseen, having never even sat on a GRiSO, I took a chance on a leftover 2017 at a good price that I found in San Diego.  I'm glad I did, as it's a real head turner and will become a fun ride.

I'm a bigger guy, at 6'2 with a 34" inseam and 225 pounds geared up.  The riding position required a change in footwear (switched from Sidi Canyon boots to riding shoes,) but aside from that is comfortable for a couple hours in the saddle.
To address the riding position further I am considering a firmer aftermarket seat, with more rounded corners instead of the current square edges at my thighs.  Suggestions are welcome.

The current suspension set up needs some work to accommodate my heft, and I'm looking towards the recommendation for a longer rear shock with a stiffer spring.  A couple hours with a good suspension tuner would be welcome too.

I'd like to put her on a diet, address the known lubrication shortages, and do some heat management - it's been in the low 100s, and my rides always include some roasted genitalia.  Probably also not good for the battery, air box and fuel tank/lines, so I'll protect what I can in some leftover DEI heat shielding.

Once I get the suspension sorted, I'll be able to properly wring out the bike and likely upload a Beetle map.  Has anyone found benefit to getting a hotter spark via a new coil and bigger gaps?  I live at 6000', and ride a 2000' elevation change each day.

But for now, it's back under a cover and locked away.  I work overseas, and she'll be a garage queen for the next few months at least.

Thank you all for maintaining such a wealth of knowledge, I really look forward to digging into all of your posts.
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA   New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Welcome,

6' 32" inseam 220 pounds all up
I had the seat reshaped , and the seam removed it is now very comfortable.

Wilbers rear shock, raised the rear a bit and made handling a lot better.

Beetle map, and a new pipe.
I rather like the original shape pipe, but it is definitely too heavy.

Glenn
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA   New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:23 pm

You might like bar risers as well. Be careful as the cables etc do not allow much more than a one inch lift.
I recommend a CARC saver (guard) and a front fender extender and perhaps a small screen.
The Beetle map is the best thing I did for my 1100, it is not designed as a power increaser, rather it smooths out the engines lumps, gives better roll on and improves fuel economy.
When you have time look at greasing up the drive shaft-both ends and the swing arm bearings-the factory can be a tad light on in this area.
Above all else welcome to the clan and happy riding.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA   New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:20 pm

Welcome to the Ghetto, Mbeach. Rhymes with impeach. No, we don't go there on this forum. Welcome, and enjoy your GRiSO.

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Mbeach
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Mbeach

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA   New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:31 pm

Thank you all for the suggestions!

I'm hoping a map will smooth out the throttle response as well, our roads are terrible and I've been off a bike for over a year - to say I'm a bit jerky at the wrist would be an understatement, especially at low speeds.
Back to top Go down
BB43215
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BB43215

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA   New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:53 am

congrats on your new GRiSO and welcome to the ghetto. I'm 6'-1" and I bought the Knight Design lowered foot pegs (1"). That's all I needed – the bike fits me perfectly now. cheers!
Back to top Go down
https://columbuscraftcocktailtour.com
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA   New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:30 pm

Mbeach wrote:
I took delivery of my 2017 a few weeks ago, and I've managed to put a few enjoyable miles on the bike since.
I bought it completely unseen, having never even sat on a GRiSO, I took a chance on a leftover 2017 at a good price that I found in San Diego.  I'm glad I did, as it's a real head turner and will become a fun ride.

I am considering a firmer aftermarket seat, with more rounded corners instead of the current square edges at my thighs.  Suggestions are welcome.

I suspect a relatively inexpensive approach might be to find (or see if a present owner will swap) an early -- at least through 2010 models -- saddle as those are, I think, all "smooth" saddles.

Street wrote:
Welcome to the Ghetto, Mbeach. Rhymes with impeach. No, we don't go there on this forum. Welcome, and enjoy your GRiSO.

Pete (Street)

I think it in singular poor taste, Pete, to comment from Washington State on West Virginia politics. cheers Razz

Bill
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA   New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:22 pm

Bill Hagan wrote:
I think it in singular poor taste, Pete, to comment from Washington State on West Virginia politics. cheers Razz

Bill

You're probably right, Bill. I'm crawling back under my rock now.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA   New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Pete, I'm in the Moto Grappa hands covered in grease, in way over my head, saw your post and was, I swear, just tweaking you.

Not at all serious.

Back to what I don't know ... which is just about everything in the Moto Grappa! Embarassed

Last edited by Bill Hagan on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
anguscameron1966
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
anguscameron1966

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA   New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:11 pm

Hi MBeach and welcome!

You might want to consider swapping out the rear shock for a Stelvio shock. 15mm longer with more travel also, you can tweak the settings to suit your weight (a search on here will give you loads more info on this). That will give the bike a little more clearance and may accommodate you lowering the foot pegs an inch for more leg room.
I would recommend you drop in a beetle map, (see GRiSO.org) this sorted out the snatching throttle response, improved my mpg and just smoothed the bike out nicely.

Cheers,

Angus.

Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA   New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:28 am

I'm 6'1 and weigh more than that geared up Smile I sent my shock to Traxxion in Atlanta and they took care of it for less than $400.

I haven't tackled the seat just yet but the brown seats for the Tenni were less than $100 from your dealer a while back. I picked one up so now I have a spare to do "something" with. I just haven't decided what "something" is just yet but you could pick one up and then have options for a custom approach.
Back to top Go down
Mbeach
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Mbeach

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA   New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:30 am

I've been coveting the Corbin Gunfighter saddle, and if I can get a slightly taller version, that might be a solution.  I don't carry a passenger ever.

As for the shock, whatever I settle on will be getting a shock sock.  I was amazed at how much grime it picks up after just a few rides.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA   New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Bill Hagan wrote:
...I swear, just tweaking you...

I knew that, Bill. I was only pretending to have my feelings hurt.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA   New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New owner, 2017 Nero, in Utah USA
Page 1 of 1