GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system

Go down 
+16
Grisodude
moby
Stubbie
MalG
eeyore
cognosticator
Steak
saganIsMyHomeboy
Richard
Bill Hagan
paulbrice
Clancy
ratso88
kiwi dave
Oz1200Guzzi
Brent S
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Empty
PostSubject: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi all. Got a long weekend trip coming up, and need to take the plunge on a luggage system for the GRiSO. I've got the OEM Guzzi tailbag (the small one that clips to the studs under the seat), but its barely adequate for an over-nighter, and falls short if I want to include a puncture kit etc.

I've read the various threads on luggage options, and the Hepco & Becker C-Bow system (with the street softbags) looks good. Its not cheap, but nothing much is these days. A system that doesn't require drilling into the frame and doesn't look hideous with the bags removed is desirable. Also considered the Kriega tailbag (US20 or 30), but a little nervous that it'll take up too much of the seat room, and potentially push into my back and be slightly annoying. Requirement is for short tours only (1-2 nights). No camping gear. Just spare clothes, shoes, toiletries, waterproof pants, basic spares etc. Usual stuff.

If anyone has experience/opinions with the C-Bow system on their GRiSO, I'd appreciate any feedback. I run a Termi exhaust, and from what I have been able to ascertain, the Hepco street softbags allegedly will clear the pipe (???) Again, any direct personal experience with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brent.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Brent, seen it on GRiSOs, somewhere, not sure who or where. However I have them on my Sport. The bags are 22 litres each, and the liner is a waste of time and space. I use (don't tell the greenies) single use singlet bags (from our supermarkets), but I use them until they are done.

The original waterproof bags look like they come from a much larger saddlebag, hence the use of lighter bags (which become a throw away item when usefulness is exceeded).

22 litres a side is not much, but if you are going away for 1-2 nights, you will have plenty of spare space - perhaps even for a bottle of your favourite tipple?

I find I can put all my clothing, footwear, and a bottle in the two bags. All my camping stuff is elsewhere (rear rack - which holds up to 2 slabs, rear seat bag that extends over the saddle bags) and it works. I always take too much, but I look at the possibility of getting wet, so I have at least a spare dry outfit. I have been getting better in recent years. I use fishing shoes at rallies - water tolerant, small, disposable, $20/pair). Enough undies so I don't have to do the reversal/inside-out thing, a few tees.

You will have no issues with only a few nights...

You can also get the attachments as spares, so you could graft them onto other bags if you so desired.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:22 pm

I have them on my GRiSO, the C-bow brackets are held on with just two screws each, I ususally remove them between trips as it is so easy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The bags shown here are Givi E21 which required an adaptor from Motomachines to fit. However, I also have H&B Nevada leather bags which are about 28 liters.

You can see them clear the Mistral silencer in the rear view.
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:31 pm

I used a combination of Kriega 20L & 30L bags on my trip out west earlier this year. They worked fine but as you mentioned they pushed into my back and over hung the tail a bit. They did get me down the road for 5K miles so there's that. I also tend to pack too much, things I never even touched while on the road. So next year I'll be more careful about what goes in/on.

Having said that I did pick up a set of C-Bow mounts and bags. They fit fine and took no time to install. I think a combination of the C-Bow bags and Kriega bags will work out better for three weeks riding.

I also used the Kriega tank bag set up. That was pretty useful and easy on/off. I liked it.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:42 pm

Thanks for the replies & pics gents. Greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:43 pm

I have used the same C-Bow bags now on both a V7-II and the GRiSO.

I really like the design of the mounting. Simple & secure, and the bike still looks good without the bags on,  although I don’t take them off very often.
The bags get used a lot and are handy for picking up supplies on the way home from work.

I agree with Tony’s comments re the liners. I do use them, but only when I’m sure it’s going to rain.
I have had a few issues with the zips.
On one bag the mount for the pull tag on the side pocket zip simply broke off in use. On the other bag one of the two-way zips completely came off.
I’ve also broken one of the bag brackets when I dropped the bag. Fixed it well enough with JB Weld.
Oh, and the carry handle on one bag also broke. Glued that back on with a hot stick glue gun.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:02 am

I run Termni & C-bow soft bags. It clears the exhaust and the indicators (only just clears OEM indicators if you re-position them with tail tidy - but OK). Waterproof inserts work well for me (just need to cover the top draw-string entry); expandable is really useful; and they are very secure especially with the over-seat strap....lockable onto C-bow brackets but need mini-padlocks to secure the zips closed....best bit is you can lift them off and carry across shoulder with the strap.  Pics below - it's second from left in the line !

Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:55 am

Paul, do you mean that the bags won’t properly clear the indicators unless you move them from their OEM position? My bike is totally stock in this regard. No tailtidy or any other bodywork mods. Surely they wouldn’t foul the indicators in their stock position???
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:43 am

If you move the OEM ones then they get close (ie not standard position) & mine 'just' touched edge of bags when fitted.  Wasn't a major issue but just meant had to be careful yanking the bags off when full.

In standard set up there's no issue at all.

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:56 am

Here is std set up view Wink

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:04 am

Not much to add to all of the above from folks who have them (as I do) except, possibly, that after several years of use, I am getting hard H-B's to replace them.  I liked the soft ones lots in theory, but always found them a bit "saggy," and otherwise not quite right.

Naturally, I always toss in disclaimers and disclosures, so I have to say that I am incapable of traveling light.  In my next life -- and assuming I do not return as a cockroach for being the guy I am in this one Shocked -- I want to to be, among other improvements (!), a better packer and traveler.

Mine have almost 20K miles of use, as I have been on many multi-day trips with them.  They do the job comma but.

First, if I ever got w/p liners, I long ago lost 'em or decided them too much a PITA to use.  I use various spray w/p sealants before long trips and have found very little water inside after downpours.  Be that as it may, as does Tony, I use plastic bags -- tho of the very large sort cheers -- when rain is in the offing ... as it seems always to be in this part of the world during riding season.

The sag I mentioned earlier is not really an issue WRT contacting turn indicators or anything else, but just annoying, especially on the right side when on side stand.  My DIY tool tube I made helps ensure no contact, tho it's OK without that, too.  Yes, a first-world problem that even smug I find somewhat embarrassing. Embarassed

A tow-truck driver scuffed one of my brother's hard bags on his V7 III, and, somewhat astonishingly, AMA replaced the entire set.  My brother is thus giving me his old one that one would be hard-pressed to even see the damage.

We will see how the hard bags work (and look) vis-á-vis the soft ones.  I may go back.

Trust this has been helpful.

Best,

Bill
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:53 am

Bill, you just reminded me of one other benefit for the soft versions - I've been known to 'softly' swipe the sides of cars with them whilst carving between traffic (especially when 'expanded to max capacity)....with hard ones I'd probably not have got away with it !
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:03 pm

kiwi dave wrote:
The bags shown here are Givi E21 which required an adaptor from Motomachines to fit.  However, I also have H&B Nevada leather bags which are about 28 liters.

Can you provide more information on the adaptator from Motomachines ? There is a huge choice of Givi bags so it could be worth to have it.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Richard_HdS wrote:
kiwi dave wrote:
The bags shown here are Givi E21 which required an adaptor from Motomachines to fit.  However, I also have H&B Nevada leather bags which are about 28 liters.

Can you provide more information on the adaptator from Motomachines ? There is a huge choice of Givi bags so it could be worth to have it.

C-BOW Plastic Mold Mount, part number 700.427, two required.

Note these adaptors need to be attached to a flat surface on the bags you are trying to mount. In my case I chose the Givi E21 panniers that offer a flat inner surface, i.e. the surface closest to the motorcycle. These are now obsolete, and are replaced with the E22 which does not have a flat surface and not able to be used. i've also mounted them on the Givi E41 panniers.

Other manufacturers may also offer something suitable.
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:29 pm

Thank you Dave. Probably Hepco & Becker offers another solution to fit panniers similar to the Givi’s.
Back to top Go down
saganIsMyHomeboy
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
saganIsMyHomeboy

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Here's the C-bow system on my GRiSO earlier this summer. The bag on the pillion is a Kriega 20.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No problems with the standard exhaust, by the way.

I have the rack still on my bike. I can take some more pictures if you want.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:04 pm

Mark, that pic showing the Kriega 20 on the pillion makes me wonder if that's all I need (as opposed to a pannier system). I only travel overnight a couple of times a year, and even then its only 1-2 nights at a time. There's a fair chance that if I'm prudent, I could get away with a single tail pack like the Kriega. Do you find it OK in terms of not taking up too much of the seat? In other words, does it push into your back at all, or is it pretty well firmly fastened and out of the way?
Back to top Go down
saganIsMyHomeboy
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
saganIsMyHomeboy

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:22 pm

I struggled a bit, as I had a massive u-lock in it which used to slip down and bump into my coccyx in a most disagreeable way. Nothing to do with my massive arse at all, I assure you.

I'd commend the kriega bags to anyone, though in terms of quality and function.

The challenge I had was finding places to mount the Kriega straps on the non-modified GRiSO. in the above pics I used the H&B rack mounting to secure them to. Before that, I ran a loop under the seat at the back with two straps at the front, and the load moved a little. Perhaps without the lock it would have been more stable.

Space-wise, if you get a Kriega 20L sack you can always add a 10 if you want.

Last edited by saganIsMyHomeboy on Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:27 pm

Richard_HdS wrote:
Thank you Dave. Probably Hepco & Becker offers another solution to fit panniers similar to the Givi’s.

Yes they do, as I mentioned I have the H&B Nevada leather bags. See below for a selection:-

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:54 am

kiwi dave wrote:

C-BOW Plastic Mold Mount, part number 700.427, two required.

Note these adaptors need to be attached to a flat surface on the bags you are trying to mount.  In my case I chose the Givi E21 panniers that offer a flat inner surface, i.e. the surface closest to the motorcycle.  These are now obsolete, and are replaced with the E22 which does not have a flat surface and not able to be used.  i've also mounted them on the Givi E41 panniers.

Other manufacturers may also offer something suitable.

Thanks for the heads up...  I was wanting to experiment with some non-C-Bow bags but was hesitant to cannibalize my own bags.

I've been looking for a "parts" source for these mounts for years... $60 x2 is a little steep for what they are, but what are you going to do???

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:16 am

Thanks to everyone for the info and advice. Really appreciate the help here. I pulled the trigger on a set of H&B C-bow system soft bags. Should arrive in a few days. Can’t wait to have a look and fit them up.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Mine were a pain in the arse to fit - all the brackets came disassembled and the instruction failed to give a clue. I persisted, and finally got it together. Not long after I swapped all the bolts for quality stainless items - allen socket head instead of hex head
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:59 pm

Oz, you have the Sport don’t you? I hope the brackets come assembled for the GRiSO, otherwise there may be tears on my part. I was never good at puzzles as a kid!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:01 pm

Yeah the Sport. It's worth solving Brent - just might take some time...
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:21 am

Brent S wrote:
Oz, you have the Sport don’t you? I hope the brackets come assembled for the GRiSO, otherwise there may be tears on my part. I was never good at puzzles as a kid!

The ones I got for my GRiSO were in pieces, and it was a bitch figuring how to install, even with the instructions. I also got the tail rack with mine and the instructions for the c bow side carriers will include instructions for the tail rack, whether you get the tail rack or not. IIRC the pieces have removable stickers saying left and right except for a long bent piece that it took a while to determine which side went where and what orientation. I did get it figured out, eventually
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system   Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Hepco & Becker C-Bow Softbag system
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next