GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

New member and hard bag questions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

New member and hard bag questions Empty
PostSubject: New member and hard bag questions   New member and hard bag questions Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:58 pm

Hello all,

Having lusted after a GRiSO ever since they came out, I have picked up a fine 2015 example that is sure to make me the coolest kid on my block. Thumbs Up

Sadly, the riding season in Ohio wanes by the day, so our relationship may be limited to gazing, fondling and perhaps some farkling for the next few months.

It already has a screen and a pipe, so practicality demands that it have some cargo capacity.

My initial thought is to go for the HB C-bows and perhaps the Orbit cases. I had some softies on a Breva, but I've been spoiled by the HB 40s on my Cali and don't think I'd be happy with softies long term.

If someone can make a case (pun) for HB 30s with the standard frame rack, that would be attractive from a versatility standpoint, since they could also be used on the Cali. However I suspect that might result in a vulgar affront to the looks of the bike.

Anyone have any experience with this setup? Suggestions for something else? I hate tank bags, but I'm not above a top box - then again, vulgarity.

Thanks for any input-

Terry
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: New member and hard bag questions   New member and hard bag questions Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:57 pm

Hi Terry, I have 40's on my bike and a top box rack which can't be used with the panniers (bad design there Hepco and Becker) and my partner has 30's on her Honda CB500x. The 40's are quite a bit wider, but carry so much more, including helmets if you need to. Another plus is, if you drop your bike with the panniers on, they can protect you bike from damage.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: New member and hard bag questions   New member and hard bag questions Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:53 pm

Welcome to the Ghetto, Terry.

Here's my set-up. Yeah, it does intrude upon the Grisos's handsome good looks a bit, but for utility it really does a nice job. 50,000 miles on the red one before I got the Diavolo Nero. Haven't logged a lot of miles on this one yet, but it's ready to go whenever the opportunity presents itself. The GRiSO Rosso had a tail bag and a custom rack I made over the pillion seat, the Black Devil has a Givi tank bag with quick-release Onur tank ring.

Pete (Street)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

PostSubject: Re: New member and hard bag questions   New member and hard bag questions Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:32 pm

Thanks for the pics Pete. It looks like the bags sit quite a bit higher on the newer one, which would preclude the use of a top box, as wyno mentioned. Perhaps not so on the red? What's going on there?

Also, what is that screen on the red one? It looks dangerously close to the Givi A770 on my Cali, but mine doesn't go around the bottom of the headlight as yours seems to.

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: New member and hard bag questions   New member and hard bag questions Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:24 pm

Terry,

The red fairing was a Givi A770. The A750 doesn't wrap around the headlight. I had both at various points in that bike's life.

Regarding the side bag mounts, you are correct. When I first got the Grisso Rosso the HB racks were on back-order so I made my own and they were lower than the real McCoy. With the Diavolo Nero I went with the actual HB racks.

Pete

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: New member and hard bag questions   New member and hard bag questions Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:43 pm

Terry , if you do want to get the top box rack as well as the pannier racks, you might want to (before you actually fit it) use an oxy torch to cut the rack from the rails and splice in some risers that lift the rack about 6 inches. That would be all it takes to be able to use the panniers and top box at the same time.
Back to top Go down
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

PostSubject: Re: New member and hard bag questions   New member and hard bag questions Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:34 am

wyno:
Any issues running those 40s? I seem to recall that the V11 Le Mans would develop some stability "squirrely-ness" above 80 mph if fitted with them.
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: New member and hard bag questions   New member and hard bag questions Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:46 pm

Here in Oz we're not allowed to ride/drive over 130kmh (about 75mph) on any road and most highways are 110 or 100kmh (65 or 60mph). However being the good, upright citizen that I am, yes I have ridden with the bags at around 150 kmh (90mph). For some reason Hepco and Becker don't recommend riding at over 80mph with the bags on. I have not noticed any "squirrely ness" at any speed. They do, however, cut into the foot space available for a pillion passenger, so choose a pillion with small feet.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: New member and hard bag questions   New member and hard bag questions Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:41 pm

Mine survived at over 200 km/h - though I didn't keep her at that speed for long - run out of road or wallopers spoil you fun.
Back to top Go down
GreggF
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GreggF

PostSubject: Re: New member and hard bag questions   New member and hard bag questions Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:20 pm

With a Givi top box and an Andy Straps AA bag strapped to the pillion seat managed to hit the rev limiter in 6th on a very long downhill section - no problem with the bike weaving, but did improve my tuck position tightness to the extent that I am sure I passed wind at least 6 times in a kilometer or so 💨

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: New member and hard bag questions   New member and hard bag questions Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:50 pm

Ah, wind assisted Gregg?
Back to top Go down
GreggF
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GreggF

PostSubject: Re: New member and hard bag questions   New member and hard bag questions Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:56 pm

May have not stood up to Olympic committee scrutiny, and could have been unpleasant for following traffic. It was just South of Junee on the way back from Marks after re-mapping. Glad I found the local HWP boys were on the other side of town 😁

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member and hard bag questions   New member and hard bag questions Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New member and hard bag questions
Page 1 of 1