GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Valves: to adjust or not to adjust?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

Valves: to adjust or not to adjust? Empty
PostSubject: Valves: to adjust or not to adjust?   Valves: to adjust or not to adjust? Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:40 am

I feel the urge to adjust my valves, but my reasoning might be questionable. I rollerized at 6,980 miles and of course adjusted at that time. Now it is only 3,000 miles later which is well before the recommended interval, but I am wondering if there is some “settling in period” after putting in a new tappet assembly where it should be adjusted sooner. The engine is running PERFECTLY and I couldn’t imagine it running any better, so “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” might be the overarching consideration here.

I was wondering if any of the experts here had opinions on this? Should I just hold my horses and wait another 3,200 miles or so before doing the valve adjustment? Or have at it right away?

Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

PostSubject: Re: Valves: to adjust or not to adjust?   Valves: to adjust or not to adjust? Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:45 am

Its running well and presumably starting easily, I would leave it until its due time.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Valves: to adjust or not to adjust?   Valves: to adjust or not to adjust? Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:49 am

Yes it starts immediately, idles steadily at 1250 RPM, runs strong at all RPM and doesn’t make excessive valve noise. I know, it sounds like I’m answering my own question here... but I always felt like the initial adjustment after rollerize should be something more like the initial adjustment on a new engine that’s at a lower than usual mileage.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Valves: to adjust or not to adjust?   Valves: to adjust or not to adjust? Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:50 pm

No need. Roller clearances change very little and because the gaskets don't compress there is nothing likely to cause them to change unlike the pushrod motors. No gaskets at all between cambox and head which would be the critical one.

Pete
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Valves: to adjust or not to adjust?   Valves: to adjust or not to adjust? Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:41 pm

Thanks Pete! Good to know. It’s better then that I keep riding while the riding is good, rather than mess with it for no good reason.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Valves: to adjust or not to adjust?   Valves: to adjust or not to adjust? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Valves: to adjust or not to adjust?
Page 1 of 1