GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fuel Tank Modification

Go down 
+16
Steak
Stubbie
Grisodude
kiwi dave
waterbottle
Street
2highlander
sideshowbob
Bill Hagan
Nobleswood
motor-timothy
davem
Grisonut
Oz1200Guzzi
V11
MrGPz
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

Fuel Tank Modification Empty
PostSubject: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi,

Following on from another thread, I am going to experiment with modifying a fuel tank.
I need at least 6 litres extra. This will give me a range of 300+kms.
Currently the fuel light comes on at 210kms.
So, I have a used tank on the way from the States.
I expect that cutting it round the widest part, above the frame rail is the best, and it needs to be raised somewhere between 1 ½ and 2” (38 – 50mm+).
Also, the fuel filler may need to be repositioned due to the angle it ends up at.
What I need from you artistic types is some sketches based on the premise above.
I usually use a tank bag, and will have to get a smaller one, if I raise the tank height.

Anyway Sketch away, show me you designs, the winning design gets a chocolate fish
Back to top Go down
V11
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
V11

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Watch this space. I have just 3D scanned a GRiSO tank. I'll play with the design over the next month or two. Just out of interest does anyone on this list have Auto Cad .dwg or .rvt modelling experience? The aim is to build a tank with increased capacity that can then be 3d printed from the file I build.
Unfortunately I have just left work so I no longer have the toys to play with. On the flipside I'm now funemployed so should have the time to sort it out.
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:31 pm

Awesome, I have AutoCad electrical at work but not 3D.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:37 pm

Darrell, avail yourself of several packages:
- DraftSight is an AutoCAD 1:1 replacement, and free, but is a 2D package;
- DesignSpark Mechanical is a full 3D package, again free, and you can generate 3D printing files directly from it;

The only "catch" is you have to re-register every 6 months. A small imposition...
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:09 pm

It would be tricky to raise the tank without destroying the slick look of the GRiSO but could be done in my opinion.
You said you need about 6 more liters in capacity...it translates to me as a gallon and the half roughly, so that let me think that you'd have to raise the tank by probably more than an inch like you said. I could be wrong since I'm just eye balling this in my mind...

I've looked into this by making one from scratch in metal with an extra 1 US gallon capacity (3.8 liters).
There is at least half a gallon to be gained below the frame area while the rest would be up top.
The "raise" would need to be sloped inwards at the outside edges in order to flow with the look, instead of straight up, which would look like arse.
I just don't have enough time at the moment to custom fabricate a metal tank but it's still in my things to do for this bike.
While in the Carolina Mountains on a few occasions, I had to shorten my routes according to the smallish capacity of the bike's tank because gas station are scarce where I ride...so an extra gallon would allow me to ride all day into wilderness from 7am to 6pm anywhere in the area with only one stop at lunch time to eat and refuel and be back to base by day's end. I'm hard core I know. Very Happy

Sorry, I can't draw or sketch for crap so I ain't going there...

Lastly, I don't know of any product on the market that would allow fusing successfully an "extension" to our plastic tanks.
Look into that before getting your hopes too high.

Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:17 am

It would be awesome to be able to 3D print a larger tank in the correct fuel resistant plastic. I was involved in the early days of CNC machining with basic CAD/CAM software, the latest technology blows my mind.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:38 am

Following this topic with interest. I like to do long tours and the low fuel capacity is definitely a small hindrance especially when you are as absent minded as me and happily ride past well-advertised fuelstations without noticing them cherry
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:14 am

For a 3D software program look into Fusion 360.

Going through the AutoCad website forms, if you tick the boxes that say you are a student or will not be using it for commercial purposes, can't remember which. You can get the program for free. Thumbs Up

I am hoping to follow some of the Youtube tutorials this winter break & get started learning this program, otherwise I'd have offered to help out.

Street, you're the Photoshop master, any photo suggestions for what this might look like ?
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:40 pm

motor-timothy wrote:
Following this topic with interest. I like to do long tours and the low fuel capacity is definitely a small hindrance especially when you are as absent minded as me and happily ride past well-advertised  fuelstations without noticing them cherry

Anyone who needs longer legs on a GRiSO is obviously younger than I am or has steel-lined bladder, or both! Wink

I am quite ready to do bladder maintenance, grab some water or coffee, and annoy gas-station attendants with tales of yore by the time the yellow light comes on. cheers

Bill
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:40 pm

I couldn't agree more Bill.
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:04 am

Did You ever think of installing an Ipothesys Aria V12 tank? Could fit plug and pray....
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:17 pm

Nobleswood wrote:
Street, you're the Photoshop master, any photo suggestions for what this might look like ?

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm afraid I wouldn't even know where to start with this one. I'm with Bill, ready to pee and stretch my legs every couple of hours so not too worried about getting more mileage. I put 50k on my GRiSO Rosso so very happy with it as a tourer. Granted, there have been a few times when I cut it a little close, but remodeling the tank seems pretty extreme to me. I'd prefer to carry a small amount of extra fuel, or maybe ride a different bike.

Pete

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:38 pm

Street wrote:
Nobleswood wrote:

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm afraid I wouldn't even know where to start with this one. I'm with Bill, ready to pee and stretch my legs every couple of hours so not too worried about getting more mileage. I put 50k on my GRiSO Rosso so very happy with it as a tourer. Granted, there have been a few times when I cut it a little close, but remodeling the tank seems pretty extreme to me. I'd prefer to carry a small amount of extra fuel, or maybe ride a different bike.

Pete

Me too, I've often thought a bit more range would be good and considered crafting a vinyl ester Glass or carbon tank, but then I saw a pretty Fat GRiSO with a 32 litre tank Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:56 pm

I'm missing the point. Why not just buy a Stelvio NTX if you want a larger tank.

I'm happy with the range on my GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
Grisodude
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Grisodude

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:32 pm

My 2006 2V gets about the same around town 220 and light is on.
Open road 300km light on, I have a 4ltr fuel bag if needed.
Maybe a cheaper option, try Ballards off road.
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:15 am

There's a lot of good points of view here.
My reason for a bigger tank is this;
I like to do long distance rides, there is usually a time limit, so less fuel stops the better.
Should I get another bike, I won't trade in the GRiSO.
Also, a second bike means twice rego and insurance another $1200 per year,
I want to ride my GRiSO, can't do that while riding something else?
I've seen external fuel tanks, mounted behind the back wheel, or on the pillion seat, they don't look the part. It still needs to look like a GRiSO.
I ride with my brother usually, he is on a KTM adventure that gets 450km to a tank, I need to get to a minimum of 300kms, at a reasonable pace, to maintain the riding partnership. Anyway, I have just found a box of Kronenbourg 1664 that I am working my way through
Back to top Go down
Stubbie
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stubbie

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:24 pm

Here ya go.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:34 pm

Hmm, wonder why they didn't show both their faces. I also wonder how well it ran on cold water!
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:42 pm

2highlander wrote:
Did You ever think of installing an Ipothesys Aria V12 tank? Could fit plug and pray....

Just looked at their website, looks like they may be able to help Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:45 pm

Stubbie wrote:
Here ya go.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I thought about it, might be good help shape the top of the tank, for a mould
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:46 pm

So, here it is the blank canvas.
First impressions;
there are two drain tubes from around the filler to the back of the tank, getting these extended could be a job in itself
The plastic is quite thick, so plastic welding will be easier
Back to top Go down
Stubbie
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stubbie

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:34 pm

I saw someone the other day that had made a fiberglass tank and just sealed it with some POR paint for the inside of steel tanks. Not shure though how successful it was.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:34 pm

Surely finding/fabricating a mounting point suitable for 1 or 1.5 gallon Rotopax or Fuelpax for the occasional touring jaunt is a better option than fiddling with fine Italian lines...

Get creative...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:53 pm

I'm willing to look at all options,
did some rides with a ZX10 and S1000, also small tanks, so I wasn't the only one needing to stop frequently
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:35 am

I am thinking about mounting a rotopax 2 gallon tank to the back where I have a givi rack attached.

I can go 130 miles before I need to find a gas station, and I am ready to stop and stretch by then. The problem with the 130 range isn't me, but I like to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway when I head north and I find that gas stations are few and far between and I don't want to run out of fuel nor do I want to have to ride 20 miles into a town and back. I wish they had put the tank capacity for the 1200 sport on the GRiSO.

I am headed to a COG rally in Pennsylvania in July and want to ride most of the BRP north and the range concerns me
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Tank Modification   Fuel Tank Modification Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fuel Tank Modification
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next