GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Hello from California

Go down 
+8
Grisonut
midnite
Pete Roper
usedtobefast
wardentm
Street
Bill Hagan
Juan1
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Juan1
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Juan1

Hello from California Empty
PostSubject: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:00 am

Hello everyone! I'm currently trying to decide between keeping my Ducati S2R800 (with upgraded everything) and GSX650f, or selling both and buying a SE 8V. The Guzzi really does it for me, but the cost is a perfect commuter/light tourer as well as my favorite all-time Ducati Monster.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:29 am

No way to keep your present fleet and just add to it? cheers

Bill
Back to top Go down
Juan1
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Juan1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:07 am

Unfortunately, no. The addition of soft luggage and a dart screen would address the commuting aspect, but I'd miss the Duc...well maybe not the desmo valve adjustments.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:00 pm

Welcome to the Ghetto, Juan. Of course everyone here will encourage you to get a GRiSO. We're all a bit biased that way.

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:34 pm

Welcome Juan ....
And greetings from Tasmania ...
Be bold, keep e'm all, AND get a GRiSO
cheers
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:26 pm

Hum, I'm with the others, I think you need all three.

If you've really set the Monster up well, that would be sad to let go. And if you wanted another one, you'd have to re-do the other one, again. And it is much lighter and is zippier than a GRiSO, so you'd miss that.

If the GSX650f is stock-ish, you could sell it, get the GRiSO, keep the Monster, that'd work. (Thinking if you ever miss a previous bike, how hard is it to go back and get another)

And selling 2 to buy 1 is just wrong! Smile Should be more like sell 1 to buy 2. Smile

Have you ridden a GRiSO?
Back to top Go down
Juan1
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Juan1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 am

I have ridden a GRiSO at a demo day, and really enjoyed the bike. Looking at the spec sheet I was prepared to be disappointed by its handling, but I definitely wasn't. Beautiful bike, exceptionally powerful, characterful, easy to maintain, and it handles well despite not being "flickable". Maybe I'll check the used market for a '12+ GRiSO.

I've had about ten bikes, and this '05 Monster S2R800 is tied with the SV650 as my favorite. It is old enough to have the original Monster look (stacked exhaust, single sided swingarm, best Monster tank shape, best looking exposed frame I've seen), yet new and modern enough so that it won't break down. The torquey 2V engine was enough of a gem that Ducati still uses it 13 years later in two different models. If the Monster didn't require new timing belts every two years (easy to do) and valve inspections every 7,500 miles with frequent adjustments (not easy to do and $600 for a dealership to handle), it would be the best bike I've owned.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:44 am

The 2V Ducati motor was first sold in the Pantah in about '79-'80. A lot longer than 13 years ago! Closer to 40. God I'm old! Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
Juan1
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Juan1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:21 pm

Alright you jerks, I took your dumb advice and now have motorcycles from two places in northern Italy. It's pretty great.
Back to top Go down
midnite
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
midnite

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:45 pm

Juan1 wrote:
Alright you jerks, I took your dumb advice and now have motorcycles from two places in northern Italy.  It's pretty great.

Tremendous! Welcome to the club (from a new member)! Where in CA are you?
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:44 pm

So you ditched the Gixxer...good move. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:04 pm

Good move. Welcome to the club.
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:18 pm

Great job! What GRiSO did you end up with? I've been looking at Monsters. A carb'ed 900 is pretty cheap these days.
Back to top Go down
Juan1
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Juan1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:21 pm

Thanks! A 2011 Tenni Green with 3k miles. It's getting rollerized as soon as the kit arrives.

If I may, the S2R800 is a pretty great bike. Under 4k on the used market gets you a bike that weighs under 420 pounds and has 50 ft lbs of torque. It also has a slipper clutch and fuel injection.
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:50 am

Juan1 wrote:
Thanks!  A 2011 Tenni Green with 3k miles.  

Wow, great find! I looked for a good Tenni GRiSO for ~6-9 months, gave up and bought a new one. Was thinking of having mine painted and get the tan seat, but then the silver/black grew on me ... but still have thoughts of making it a Tenni. Smile

Your rollerizing it yourself?
Back to top Go down
Juan1
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Juan1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:12 pm

I watched Cycletrader a few times per day for a while and found one near my parents in Texas. Got lucky.

The plan is to rollerize it myself. If kit C was needed I wouldn't have purchased the bike.

Silver and black looks pretty great, especially the way it makes the red badge and Moto Guzzi script on the wheels stand out! Nice work!
Back to top Go down
Spruce Goose
Carlotto
Carlotto
Spruce Goose

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Sun May 05, 2019 1:42 pm

Hey Juan1, did you see the one they had in El Paso? I flew to TX and rode it back to CT on April 1st. Mine came with a surprise in the saddlebags lol (a Crocodile Dunee folding knife haha). Where did you find yours?
Back to top Go down
Griso Lad
Carlotto
Carlotto
Griso Lad

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Mon May 06, 2019 2:44 am

Hello Juan 1,
By the GRiSO,you will love it.We all do.I have the SE 8V 1200 in red & black.The bike has a few quirks,but it in no way detracts for the absolute pleasure of owning the GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Tue May 07, 2019 6:06 pm

Bravo for not being stymied by the rollerization. That Tenni is a special GRiSO, resides in a soft spot for many of us!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Juan1
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Juan1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1Wed May 08, 2019 10:27 am

Spruce Goose wrote:
Hey Juan1, did you see the one they had in El Paso?  I flew to TX and rode it back to CT on April 1st.  Mine came with a surprise in the saddlebags lol (a Crocodile Dunee folding knife haha).  Where did you find yours?
I did not, but nice work. Sounds like you purchased the least well-armed motorcycle in all of Texas!

Finding mine was a bit of a challenge. First I almost purchased a very low mileage 2015 in Tucson, AZ. The salesman at the dealership offered to hold the bike and give me three days to decide on the motorcycle. I enthusiastically got back to him two days later to start the sale, but he had broken his promise and sold the bike. This one came from Ft. Worth, Texas.

I've got to say, so far the GRiSO isn't perfect for me. My sweet spot has been sub 450 pound, torquey standards with 50-75 horsepower. For me that's the sweet spot for a street bike. I need to rollerize my 8V, flash a better map, get rid of the 8 year old tires, and see if the bike grows on me after a few runs through the canyons.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California   Hello from California Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Hello from California
Page 1 of 1