GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Broken shifter lever's shaft

Go down 
+14
BruPo
rick pope
Street
Bill Hagan
RedMogAndy
Steak
Clancy
Diablo Loco
Grisonut
Richard
NewApriliaGuy
Pete Roper
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:58 am

In 17 years of working on CARC bikes I have NEVER had to replace one or had one break unless the bike had been dropped or the lever has copped some abuse in some way. (Shrug.)

Look, by all means contact Piaggio USA and complain about it. I really doubt you'll get anything other than the bum's rush or an email of platitudes. All I'm saying is I really don't think the part is the problem. My bike has done over 140,000 km, I have customers who have done well in excess of 200,000 km. We've all dropped our bikes once or twice, mine seems to take a nap regularly, but I've not had an issue with suddenly failing pivot bolts. Every time I do it I check the pivot when I get home by removing it and having a squizz. If it was going to snap I'd prefer it to happen in the workshop.

I understand it was annoying and frustrating but blaming the part seems a bit counter productive when the part isn't really the problem. YOMV. That's fine.

Oh, and I was in no way trying to get 'On your tits'. Simply offering an alternative view.

BruPo likes this post

Back to top Go down
PilotJet
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PilotJet

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:31 am

Mine broke right off last summer going for an MRI appointment about 25 miles from home. I went to shift and it was gone. I've never had my 17 drop, unless it was stressed somehow before I picked it up new from the dealer with 2 miles on it. At the time, AF1 didn't have any in stock. I ended up finding a new bolt from a place in England somewhere. He told me thru his email that he goes thru a lot of them.

BruPo likes this post

Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:18 pm

Apart from my own experience there's a thread about damage to the right side "pork chop?" from a static fall that involved the part needing rewelding. That and my experience when I came adrift was what persuaded me that I definitely wanted to install folding ends if feasible.

Since as far as I can see when the bike goes over the folding footpeg does its thing and all the weight of the bike comes on to the end of the levers.
A folding end doesn't entirely stop that but does mitigate and spread the load and the folding end hopefully returns preventing having to ride with no back brake or gear shifter.

As to the bolt breaking it sounds as if the metallurgy of the bolt is suspect on some bikes. If they're heat treated they have probably not been post cured correctly.

It wouldn't be hard to work out an appropriate material and get a replacement turned up.
I've had no problems but if I were concerned that is the fix I'd go for.

BruPo likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://c-space-solutions.com/
BruPo
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BruPo

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:01 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
In 17 years of working on CARC bikes I have NEVER had to replace one or had one break unless the bike had been dropped or the lever has copped some abuse in some way. (Shrug.)

Look, by all means contact Piaggio USA and complain about it. I really doubt you'll get anything other than the bum's rush or an email of platitudes. All I'm saying is I really don't think the part is the problem. My bike has done over 140,000 km, I have customers who have done well in excess of 200,000 km. We've all dropped our bikes once or twice, mine seems to take a nap regularly, but I've not had an issue with suddenly failing pivot bolts. Every time I do it I check the pivot when I get home by removing it and having a squizz. If it was going to snap I'd prefer it to happen in the workshop.

I understand it was annoying and frustrating but blaming the part seems a bit counter productive when the part isn't really the problem. YOMV. That's fine.

Oh, and I was in no way trying to get 'On your tits'. Simply offering an alternative view.

-- I hear ya.
Based on what I'm seeing in this thread alone there well may have been a bad batch of bolts late in GRiSO's production run / or a Samson wrench hand on the Tuono line.
Piaggio is likely using this bolt on other bikes.

It'd be nice to create a stronger alternative part - a tad heavier, out of a more common bolt.

My easy solution will be to carry an extra, hoping for providence if i need a local shop to extract the flush tip as I'm needing. That and checking the other bolt for cracks, while not over torquing..

AF1Racing.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.brettcartwright.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:11 pm

Ideally the way to go would be something like Titanium I suppose but then you'd probably find it even more likely the 'Pork Cop' would become the sacrificial part. Ti is a bastard to machine as well.

BruPo likes this post

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:58 am

I always thought these newer SE's werent up to much, from what I've read here they all seem to made from butter. So glad bought an earlier model Very Happy
One of the first parts I serviced, replaced gear one as excessive wear (dry as a bone) and right side was dropped, pin was fine but also dry.
Its a decent sized bolt and doesnt require wanging up super tight.
As Pete says its not under any kind of excess load no reason in the world for it to fail unless you own a later SE model Laughing
Back to top Go down
BruPo
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BruPo

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:16 pm

Buellbloke wrote:
I always thought these newer SE's werent up to much, from what I've read here they all seem to made from butter. So glad bought an earlier model Very Happy
One of the first parts I serviced, replaced gear one as excessive wear (dry as a bone) and right side was dropped, pin was fine but also dry.
Its a decent sized bolt and doesnt require wanging up super tight.
As Pete says its not under any kind of excess load no reason in the world for it to fail unless you own a later SE model Laughing

Like Buttah!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.brettcartwright.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Broken shifter lever's shaft
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3