GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Love my new to me GRiSO

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jongood
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jongood

Love my new to me GRiSO  Empty
PostSubject: Love my new to me GRiSO    Love my new to me GRiSO  Icon_minitime1Sat May 25, 2019 7:34 am

Hi

I'm Jon Good from UK recently bought a 2009 GRiSO 1200. I must admit I saw it rode it loved it bought it and didnt come across this forum until afterwards.
The stories about tappets sounds a bit scary, I had a lot of air cooled boxers back in the day and the GRiSO sounds pretty similar mechanically and quieter than some of the water cooled alternatives tbf. sorry I know this must have been covered a million times on here but how do I tell if its an issue?

Cheers

Jon
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Love my new to me GRiSO    Love my new to me GRiSO  Icon_minitime1Sat May 25, 2019 7:44 am

Take a rocker cover off and look.

Tons of pics on the forum.

Chances are it hasn't been rollerised unless you were told it had been. It has to be done. All flat tappet top ends fail, no exceptions.

I suppose I should do a complete 'What to look for and what you'll need to buy' post. Perhaps it could be made a sticky?

Pete

PS. How many miles on this bike?
Back to top Go down
jongood
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jongood

PostSubject: Re: Love my new to me GRiSO    Love my new to me GRiSO  Icon_minitime1Sat May 25, 2019 8:16 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Take a rocker cover off and look.

Tons of pics on the forum.

Chances are it hasn't been rollerised unless you were told it had been. It has to be done. All flat tappet top ends fail, no exceptions.

I suppose I should do a complete 'What to look for and what you'll need to buy' post. Perhaps it could be made a sticky?

Pete

PS. How many miles on this bike?

Thanks Pete

Its only done 14k miles which the mots and the condition tend to support, its got 5 stamps in the book plus the 1000 miles but none of these were guzzi dealers so I guess they wouldnt know. I just watched your video and thats within my comfort zone but what am I looking for? as it looks like the tappets/lifters are hidden from view on the underside.

many thanks

Jon
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Love my new to me GRiSO    Love my new to me GRiSO  Icon_minitime1Sat May 25, 2019 8:19 am

G'day Jon
Welcome from us all down under in Tasmania.
Enjoy your stay here.
Bugger if you have flatties ....
You will also need to have a look at the swing arm greasing - search this topic on this site ...
Great bikes - stay safe
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Love my new to me GRiSO    Love my new to me GRiSO  Icon_minitime1Sat May 25, 2019 10:12 am

14K miles is well into serious damage territory. Don't ride it again until it's rollerised.

If it's been through a series of dealers, Guzzi or non Guzzi, I'd look carefully at the throttlebodies.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Love my new to me GRiSO    Love my new to me GRiSO  Icon_minitime1Sat May 25, 2019 3:43 pm

Congrats on your new GRiSO! It can be a big bummer to learn about the eroding tappets issue. Mr. Roper throws this turd in many, many, GRiSO party punchbowls... But it always comes with the best of intentions. Very Happy

Thumbs Up

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Love my new to me GRiSO    Love my new to me GRiSO  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Love my new to me GRiSO
Page 1 of 1