GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

New Purchase Advice

Go down 
+9
Pisano
usedtobefast
sideshowbob
kiwi dave
Street
H-E-ROSS
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
Donzo
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Donzo
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Donzo

New Purchase Advice Empty
PostSubject: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:42 pm

Hi Folks,

Am about to commit to buying a “new” 2017 SE 8V BUT I need guidance as follows since bike has been sitting in dealership for 2 years:
1. Should I insist on an oil change despite oil being synthetic?
2. Bike has a Termignoni pipe in place of stock pipe. Should I ask for electronics to be remapped or at least analyzed?
3. Is it worth asking for the stock pipe to be included?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:49 pm

Donzo,

See GRiSO.org for mapping or remapping. The dealer will most likely be unable or not interested in doing that. This community can probably assist in this process more than a dealer can.

Stock pipe is much heavier than the Termi - you can ask though, can't hurt.

Experts on oil will be along soon, though you can do it yourself, it is not a complicated process and you will know it is done right if you do it yourself - owning a Guzzi is about getting your relationship right so you are one with the machine.

Oh, and welcome!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:59 pm

The Termi is factory approved. It won't need remapping as such. It will run just as poorly on the Termi as it does on the 'stock' pipe. I'd ask for the stock pipe. I prefer it over the Termi, even if it is 3kg heavier. Just my opinion.

Welcome to the Ghetto!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
H-E-ROSS
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
H-E-ROSS

PostSubject: Re: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:55 pm

I have the Termignoli on my bike and prefer the look. In the future I am sure there will be greater interest in preserving the original design. Luckily my bike came with both pipes. While there are many exhaust options, the factory approved Termi is one of the more expensive ones. ($1200. US, list Price)
That being said get your bike re-mapped with the specific Beetle-Map for your configuration. It is well worth the effort. Welcome to the fold, the GRiSO is a great machine!
Back to top Go down
http://h-e-ross.com
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Welcome to the Ghetto, Donzo. I love the stock exhaust. There is really nothing else like it, a totally unique design that just looks cool. And with a Beetle map, you can't go wrong. In any case, if the dealer will throw it in, you can decide for yourself which one you prefer.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:08 pm

I'd take it with the Termi. You're bound to find a stock muffler it you think it might have a better resale value with it.

Hell, I could sell you mine. Shipping is likely to be prohibitive.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:49 pm

If it in fact is a new bike, I would just run the oil until the first service. Better yet see if they will toss in a free first service on the deal.
Back to top Go down
Donzo
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Donzo

PostSubject: Re: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:25 pm

Such great and instant advice from this community. I am grateful for the many pointers given. I think I’m going to like this community a lot!
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:21 am

I bought a new 2017 GRiSO in Sept/Oct 2018.

I would get the stock exhaust with it.
I would go with a Beetle map and not even worry about asking the dealer about it.
Don't worry about the oil.

For my bike, the stock battery died in about 4-5 months. My dealer was going to charge me for an electrical test and then pro-rate a new battery and try to sell me the same crappy battery for $175. So I did the electrical test myself (took about 5 minutes, bike was fine), and bought a new Shorai battery for around $140 (not from that dealer!). So bottom line, I'd worry more about the old battery than anything else.

For the exhaust ... I would get it with both, take off the termi and sell it on ebay for ~$600ish and run the stock one.

Back to top Go down
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

PostSubject: Re: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:02 pm

I bought a 2014 that was sitting on the showroom floor for a couple years.  No issue with stock pipe but improved with a beetle map.

If you get it do three things:
1) get a beetle map
2) join the ontario guzzi riders group
3) park it far away from a natural gas line
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:40 pm

I was thinking about no 3 as well. Maybe after what just happened in London he won't be buying the GRiSO after all Shocked

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

PostSubject: Re: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:11 am

Luckily no civilians got hurt but maybe after what happened there you realize life might be too short; so get a GRiSO while you can still ride one.No
Back to top Go down
Dave Swanson
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave Swanson

PostSubject: Re: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:56 am

I will add my voice to the choir.

Don't worry about the oil. It is fine

Ask for the stock can.

And get a Beetle map at your earliest convenience.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:26 pm

What's this about a natural gas line? Google didn't help on this .
Back to top Go down
Donzo
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Donzo

PostSubject: Update on purchase   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:32 pm

Well, bit the bullet and confirmed GRiSO purchase today! The solid advice received here was very helpful. Keeping Termi pipe but will also get the original one. Have joined Ontario Guzzi Riders and will be avoiding the “booming” area of east London for a while! The recent explosion displaced a few homeowners.

Need to ride bike for a bit before getting Beetle map. Ordered a Dart Marlin flycatcher and now need to figure out an aftermarket cover that will fit. Ideas
are welcomed.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:08 pm

tvboy wrote:
What's this about a natural gas line?  Google didn't help on this .

CLICKY:

Bad Drivers & Natural Gas Don't Mix

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

PostSubject: Re: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:16 pm

A cover for the bike when parked? Get a Wunderlich from BMW Motorad. Lasts longer than anything else I've come across (but will still melt if put on a hot bike).
Back to top Go down
Donzo
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Donzo

PostSubject: Re: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:35 pm

Thanks MalG. Good to know. Will have a look.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Purchase Advice   New Purchase Advice Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New Purchase Advice
Page 1 of 1