GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.

Go down 
+4
kiwi dave
Kiwi_Roy
2highlander
dlpannebakker
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
dlpannebakker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
dlpannebakker

Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:09 pm

When I had the ecu on in question I had my cheater side stand switch connected, the light remained on. When I attached my old OE ecu with the cheater switch connected, the light went out.
I remounted it to the bike but I can remove it again to show you the corrosion. I do it tomorrow after doc appointment.
Back to top Go down
dlpannebakker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
dlpannebakker

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:30 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
dlpannebakker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
dlpannebakker

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Look very close to the #38 pin along with a set of pins on the top row as well. You will notice greenish corrosion. Hard to see in the photos but you can see it.
Sorry for the copy of copies of photos !
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:19 pm

It's hard to tell from the photos, but that doesn't look too bad. Try the DeoxIT as moto suggested.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
dlpannebakker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
dlpannebakker

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:26 am

Beetle I will get some of the DeoxIT. What all will it do?
Thank you
Back to top Go down
dlpannebakker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
dlpannebakker

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:43 am

Outstanding. I was going to try doing the coating myself if one of the other dash’s that were junk. My luck I’d try to coat this new dash’s circuit board & static would kill something on it. I have real bad luck with electrical stuff. I had a very good friend that passed away 19 moths ago who was a brilliant electrical engineer with a PhD in it. He designed & made the only working wireless vehicle charging in the world. The company is called Momentum Dynamics if you’d like to research or even invest. My late friends name is Bruce Long. His business partner is Andy Daga. Anyway I would have sent it to him. I’ll look around here in AZ. A computer repair shop could they do repairs on a dash besides coating the board?
Who or what is Photobucket? That’s really ignorant for them to blur out something they don’t own. Photo copy rights protects your photos.
I will look like I said here in AZ, I’m sure there are a few.
Many thanks
Doug
PS you start your own coating business. There are plenty of GRiSO circuit boards needing coated besides being repaired. Guzzi wants 1400+!for a new dash & im sure they are no better.
Back to top Go down
dlpannebakker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
dlpannebakker

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:45 am

Beetle when you asked across the connector plug, you are meaning the pigtail or the ecu pin?
Back to top Go down
dlpannebakker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
dlpannebakker

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:50 am

Kiwi_Roy.
I had tried that but didn’t work. I attached a rocker switch thinking that will work, nope light remained on.
I do believe it my ecu. I’m going to see if I can find a reasonable shop here in the US or India.
Thank you
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:53 am

Quote :
Beetle I will get some of the DeoxIT. What all will it do?
Thank you

It will clean up any oxidation and (hopefully) improve conductivity. Only use the 5% solution.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:58 am

dlpannebakker wrote:
Beetle when you asked across the connector plug, you are meaning the pigtail or the ecu pin?

The pigtail.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:51 am

Corrosion on the pins is never good, no doubt that's where the problem lies.
It may be effecting the ECU and the socket.
Back to top Go down
dlpannebakker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
dlpannebakker

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:56 pm

Many thanks Beetle.
I reused my OE unit with a loose pin. The side stand light went out with my cheater side stand switch. The bike fired right up, put up the side stand light went out & took it for a ride. The sad & wasteful part of it I sent the ECM out for service the shop said it was beyond repair. Go figure. I plug it in & it worked. So much for some of these electronic tech’s. This company came highly recommended.
For sure, corrosion is not a good thing. Magnetti Marelli should perform better quality control of their products. I know I certainly don’t want anything else with their stuff, but I may not have a choice.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:35 pm

That's a good result.

A loose pin may well be able to be fixed by judicious use of epoxy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I fear corrosion like you've experienced may affect a lot of modern motorcycle electronics.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
dlpannebakker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
dlpannebakker

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:56 pm

Moto,
What was their purpose of blurring out your photos? Have you thought about doing it for a part time job or hobby? My third dash I bought off of a 08 8 valve GRiSO hoping Digitek has the brains to coat the boards or at least PIAGGIO requesting the coating. But the more they have fail means More money they get. A new dash is still what $1500.00 US. That sure hurts even thinking about that price. If this one goes bad, I will locate a electronics repair shop to fix it & see if they can coat the board.
Are you in the states? If so, who have you used? I noticed via past experience that some shops here in Prescott AZ are iffy.
Thanks Moto.
Doug
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:58 pm

I can supply you a dash for about half that if you need one. I'd have to order it and it might take a few weeks but it's doable.

Pete
Back to top Go down
dlpannebakker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
dlpannebakker

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:49 am

My dash is working fine I was just wondering if might be interested in coating the board since you have the experience doing that? I have an additional none functioning dash that I could practice on.
What type of sealant did you recommend if I decide to partake the adventure. Knowing my luck, I’d fry something on the board with static.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:26 pm

"Conformal coating" is the right product for PCBs - comes as either a spray can or a liquid. make sure whatever you are coating is clean first, else you are wasting your money. You should be able to get it from electronic outlets of from any of the professional electronic suppliers (Arrow, DigiKey, RS Components et al)
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:05 pm

dlpannebakker wrote:
Moto,
What was their purpose of blurring out your photos?  Have you thought about doing it for a part time job or hobby?  My third dash I bought off of a 08 8 valve GRiSO hoping Digitek has the brains to coat the boards or at least PIAGGIO requesting the coating.  But the more they have fail means More money they get.   A new dash is still what $1500.00 US. That sure hurts even thinking about that price.  If this one goes bad, I will locate a electronics repair shop to fix it & see if they can coat the board.  
Are you in the states?  If so, who have you used?  I noticed via past experience that some shops here in Prescott AZ are iffy.  
Thanks Moto.
Doug

I keep getting messages from Photobucket about using excessive bandwidth. Maybe it's true: I see that my thread on the dash has almost 10,000 hits, and there are one or two more of mine with large numbers. I don't want to pay for this, however.

I've thought about offering a coating service, but I'm pretty busy. Besides, Carmo (?) got out of the GRiSO dash repair business and they must have had a reason. I don't want dissatisfied customers who were expecting miracle cures, I suppose, sending me corroded dashes to raise from the dead.

I gave very detailed information about the coating procedure in the WG thread. Reading that should give you enough information to either do it or decide you don't want to.

Pete's offer is about the right price I think. If I acquired a brand new dash I'd coat it right from the start.

Maybe when I retire (not long) I'll offer to do some and see how it goes.

Moto
Back to top Go down
dlpannebakker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
dlpannebakker

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:40 pm

CARMO is a company that lied to me about the ECU I had sent them for repair & they stating it was beyond repair when in fact the unit works. It only had the loose pin & some corrosion. The US division was told by the division from the Netherlands.
I understand that your a busy person. With the lousy digitek junk that is put out & the companies that purchase them should be forced to recall the dash’s & Magneti Marelli with the ECU’s & thé stepper motors. It’s uncalled for a huge company like Marelli allows product to be released that should have failed quality control. They know no one will remove the item & actually look at the product carefully as I have. I’m looking at new bikes I ask what electronics they use.
I’m not wealthy my service connected disabilities made certain of that. Can’t afford the repairs these companies put upon us owners
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:41 pm

I'm a believer in using some form of organic solution to displace a water based solution.
If the space is filled up by something greasy water and oxygen won't have any space to corrode. I use Vaseline on all my wet connections, I swear by it on battery terminals for that reason. it excludes water, WD40 is made to do this also, the WD stands for Water Dispersant.
I don't have any real experience with Craig's Deoxit but I have heard from several who's opinion I value that it's a great product, I don't know how it can possibly replace metal that has been corroded away but perhaps it just cleans up the metal still there so it has a better contact.
I don't believe there is any such thing as a conductive grease, certainly copper cote to never seize isn't.
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:45 pm

dlpannebakker wrote:
CARMO is a company that lied to me about the ECU I had sent them for repair & they stating it was beyond repair when in fact the unit works.  It only had the loose pin & some corrosion.  The US division was told by the division from the Netherlands.

You're not the first one who's become enraged about Digitek, though I think you may be the first on this site who concluded and proclaimed that Carmo was lying.

Moto

Last edited by moto on Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
dlpannebakker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
dlpannebakker

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:54 pm

Kiwi Roy
The corrosion seems to be on the plastic coming from the pins on the ecu. Your smart to use Vaseline on the rubber for water preventive sealing. I’m just P Oed that the OE ECU has a loose pin & corrosion. Lousy quality control from Magneti Marelli & Digitek.. to me both are trash & PIAGGIO isn’t off the hook for not recalling those items. Bikes are too expensive for not recalling machines with problems.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:13 am

Its the metal of the pins corroding, not surprising really considering the wet location its installed. The way I see it we don't get all upset about having to grease the suspension bearings why should we worry because we have to do some preventative maintenance on the electrical connections, there are lots of other locations on the bike that will benefit from Vaseline, battery terminals, all the electrical connections at the rear any crimp joints.
I never start on a new to me bike without a tube handy, I've been using it for 50 years on electrical connections and contacts.

I take it your light is fixed, I don't think you said.
Back to top Go down
dlpannebakker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
dlpannebakker

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:04 am

The corrosion is of greenish hue on the plastic that the pins come through. I put on the ecu that came on the bike. It was sent out for pin repair but the tech said it was beyond repair. So far it works great on the pin & corrosion have me worried a bit. I rode it on Sunday went down to a friends micro-brewery about an hours ride from my place.
The only thing that didn’t work was my speedo. I found crushed wires that let to the speed sensor so I believe that might be the cause. Seems as if I didn’t pay too much attention when I put on a Stuuchi licence plate mount & thé wire were caught at the top at the bolt site. So the plate mount crushed the wiring & I didn’t notice it. I removed the crushed wiring & soldered the wire together..
it’s amazing on how the weather pak May allow som moisture by so to corrode metal.
Back to top Go down
dlpannebakker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
dlpannebakker

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:49 am

Hey Moto,
Since they blurred your photos of the dash, would you mind send me the photos if you still have them? I believe over the winter here in Prescott AZ., I may weather proof the dash. I appreciate your advice along with everyone else’s. I
The bike is running great finally on third dash. OE dash failed 10,000 miles the second didn’t work at all & this third one off a 1200
2008 model year. The stepper motor I by-passed completely since it just cycled none stop. I added two RC car micro switch’s. On when riding off when not. Side stand switch works well now after the I went back to OE ecu. I’ll send out the replacement ecu I got from Australia since it is the one that’s not allowing the side stand light to go out.
My GRiSO has two K&N cone filter’s on each throttle body. I done away with the stock airbox. The puke/breather tank I ran a hose from it to a T that went into the throttle bodies. It burns off what comes out of the puke tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.    Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Side stand light stays on no matter what I do.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2