GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Shift and brake pedal extensions?

Go down 
+7
Cereal KLR
plantboy
Steak
beetle
Street
NorthBayGriso
Canyon Carver
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

Shift and brake pedal extensions? Empty
PostSubject: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:56 pm

Perhaps I'm a bit of a clutz with my giant 8.5 shoes, but I keep missing the up and down shifter, or just graze it on occassion. I really am getting tired of this. I bet someone knows of a proper replacement part number for a longer and/or more robust option.

I am NOT talking about the arm, only the rubber shaft part.

I found this. Will it work on the GRiSO?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
NorthBayGriso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
NorthBayGriso

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:40 pm

I've enjoyed my Knight Design pegs: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:11 pm

NorthBayGriso wrote:
I've enjoyed my Knight Design pegs: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wrong product link, but I did find a shifter lower appendage there, thanks. I don't need the shifter lower, just to stick out farther.
Will that work?
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:13 pm

I don't know about extensions, but you might enjoy seeing the beefing up/repair I did for Steak the other day. Having mangled his stock shifter to a really weird angle, a compound fracture hanging together by a thread, I suggested I might could fix it. Certainly worth a try - if I failed he was going to have to buy a new one anyway. And having just done the same thing to Bill Lovelady's rear brake pedal a couple of weeks ago (though it was nowhere near as bad a break) I was pretty confident it would work. I guess we'll have to wait for Steak to weigh in on how he likes it, but here are a couple of pictures. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture before I started, maybe Steve has one he can add. After heating and straightening it I welded the broken joint and formed a piece of aluminum sheet material and welded it on the back side to reinforce the whole thing. After sanding it out and buffing it out a bit with a piece of Scotchbrite you can hardly even tell.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Straightened (almost) and welded, a reinforcement sits at the ready.

Close enough.

Like I said, close enough. This is the back side.

From the front the repair is hardly noticible - just needs a bit more buffing out.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

Last edited by Street on Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:55 pm

The toe rubber in mine has gone hard and very stiff, so I don't want to pry it off.
Rather than using an OEM rubber, go buy one for an early Honda as I suspect they will be a little longer.

Take your stock toe piece to any machine shop and they will duplicate it, but include the extra length.
I used to have a lathe and that would have been a fun job over a beer or two.
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:57 pm

That is some great work, repairing that piece indeed. That being said, it seems I'm not being clear in what part I need. Do you see the little black rubber toe piece sticking out of the arm you repaired? That's the part I want extended or replaced with a longer part.
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:59 pm

ghezzi wrote:
The toe rubber in mine has gone hard and very stiff, so I don't want to pry it off.
Rather than using an OEM rubber, go buy one for an early Honda as I suspect they will be a little longer.

Take your stock toe piece to any machine shop and they will duplicate it, but include the extra length.
I used to have a lathe and that would have been a fun job over a beer or two.

Yes, that's more like it. I wonder if another Guzi model has a longer toe piece?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:10 pm

I made my own. The pegs have a 20mm deep hole in them. I used a 5mm tap in the hole to allow an extension to fit.

I used some threaded rod and a 5mm threaded 'extender'.

I used the inner rubber insulation from some air hose.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:21 pm

I thought I had a photo of my mangled shift lever, but alas no. Suffice it to say though that it was right buggered. It was functional, but not pretty. I had planned to just ride it out until I won the lottery so I could buy a new lever.

Then comes Pete, the Minister of Metallurgy, and says he, "I think I can fix that." So a deal was struck and we trade a tune-up for a lever fix and we end up enjoying a fun day in his studio between his art projects. Just another day in the GRiSO ghetto...

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:23 pm

beetle wrote:
I made my own. The pegs have a 20mm deep hole in them. I used a 5mm tap in the hole to allow an extension to fit.

Brilliant! Obviously I am not alone in the need for an extended piece. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:29 pm

Necessity, as they say, is the mother if invention.
I have the KD 1 inch lower foot pegs, which offset your foot more.
So, instead of constantly turning my foot in, make the toe peg stick further out!

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:16 am

I have the 1" lower pegs as well, so there you have it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:44 pm

May I suggest an easier approach and more professional appearance.
1. Tap the thread as you have done.
2. Buy 2 Hondayammagucci gear lever rubbers, you may have to shorten one.
3. Buy several 5mm ID sleeves to insert in the rubbers.
3. Just use a 5mm s/s button head Allen screw with Loctite.

Being longer than standard any tip over will bend it or the whole brake/gear lever.
Don't know how to calculate it but a hacksaw cut in the shank of the screw may create a sacrificial break point.
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:07 pm

another cool fix idea.
BTW I stopped into a Vespa/Moto Guzzi dealer who only sells the v-7 guzzis. I asked him to look up and see if there was a stock/longer part. He looked at me like I was crazy and told me to look it up myself on the internet, as he couldn't believe I wanted to "modify" my bike!
His head was so far up his ass, I couldn't believe it.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:11 pm

I actually ended up shortening mine because they were too long. I used a shorter piece of threaded rod and a locknut, then finished it off with a dome nut. All up about 12mm longer.  Professional look? Don't care. Have you seen my bar risers?  Very Happy 

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:15 am

Here's a part I just ordered. It will be a little loose as the inside diameter is 3/4". If it is too loose, I may tap the hole on the peg shaft, then drill a hole through the end of the new peg extension and retain it with a bolt.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
plantboy

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:27 am

Hey CC, I've used those push-on shift extensions on the wife's previous F800 R. They are mostly ok but I found the fatter size of the shift lever was not comfortable with my boots and required additional adjustment of the foot peg to correct foot positioning. Your experience may be different though - it's a very individual thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:55 am

How many people want these extenders?

I can pull Bella's toe piece and have my mate machine up a couple. What total length?
If you only want the standard rubber length, the inner portion of the shaft could be;
a) same diameter as the rubber
b) slightly smaller than the rubber OD
c) substantially smaller than rubber OD.

My 7 year old rubber is hard as a rock, anybody with a new bike want to pull it off and measure the shaft OD?
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:06 pm

Why not just machine a complete replacement toe piece thats 1/2"-3/4" longer to bolt on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:06 pm

With adjustable eccentric positioning as per original?
Same OD as rubber but knurled alloy?

I should state that Pete is a self employed machinist, the fulfilment of your dreams shall only be limited by the size of your wallet.
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:34 am

beetle wrote:

OK, I taped the hole and used drilled a hole in the BMW/Ilium Works part and bolted it up. It could be a bit too long for some, but seems good for my "Duck footed" posture.
Back to top Go down
Cereal KLR
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Cereal KLR

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:21 pm

Had to bump this old thread rather than start a new one. Both my brake and shift levers are bent in from previous owner (no really). In the past I have been lucky with a bit of heat and patience to straighten these type items out, but some of the alloys simply give up if this is attempted.

If I read this this correctly, these are "straightenable" with some gentle lovin?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Yes. I've had to straighten mine after an inelegant dismount.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Cereal KLR
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Cereal KLR

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:52 pm

With heat or just smooth talk and a bit o pipe?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:13 pm

No heat, just manly brute force with a pipe or similar.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shift and brake pedal extensions?   Shift and brake pedal extensions? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Shift and brake pedal extensions?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next