GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Please show me your tail

Go down 
+11
Kiwi_Roy
LBC Tenni
sideshowbob
2highlander
Ulf
Steak
Pete Roper
JohnA
paulbrice
beetle
kiwi dave
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

Please show me your tail - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Please show me your tail   Please show me your tail - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat May 02, 2020 10:34 pm

I have one of Spaceclam's brilliant dipsticks in my EV. I'd love to get one for the Grizz.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Please show me your tail   Please show me your tail - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 04, 2020 6:29 pm

OldMojo wrote:
I have one of Spaceclam's brilliant dipsticks in my EV. I'd love to get one for the Grizz.
Whats so special about it?
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Please show me your tail   Please show me your tail - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 04, 2020 9:16 pm

Just get a dipstick OEM Stock for the Stelvio.  It's an o-ring sealed pull out jobbie for level checking.  If you need to fill, just remove the sleeve that holds onto the o-ringed dip sticker. They're not cheap though... About $50 from AF1 in Texas

I prefer it to the stock GRiSO dipstick and a certain someone here was nice enough to send me one from overseas just because I mentioned it!

Thanks again for that one!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

PostSubject: Re: Please show me your tail   Please show me your tail - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2020 4:21 am

Kiwi_Roy wrote:
OldMojo wrote:
Whats so special about it?

It's actually readable!

It's a lovely CNC machined aluminum piece, with a cross-hatched band for the read area, and a nice meaty cap that you can actually get your fingers on when removing.

I'll post a pic when I get a chance.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Please show me your tail   Please show me your tail - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2020 2:12 pm

I replaced my dipstick with an oil temperature gauge.  I was too lazy to do the complex Beetle oil cooler automatic bypass system, so I just use Beetle's earlier suggestion to block off the oil cooler with plastic strips made from an ice cream container (black of course).  I made two sizes, and keep an eye on the oil temperature, reducing the strip size when the temperatures go above 100°C.

My GRiSO doesn't loose any oil, but the temperature gauge doubles as a dipstick should I desire to check it.
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Please show me your tail   Please show me your tail - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2020 3:49 pm

kiwi dave wrote:
I replaced my dipstick with an oil temperature gauge.

Where did you get that from, Dave?

kiwi dave wrote:
... block off the oil cooler with plastic strips made from an ice cream container (black of course).

You mean Chocolate? Laughing
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Please show me your tail   Please show me your tail - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2020 7:09 pm

bioman wrote:
kiwi dave wrote:
I replaced my dipstick with an oil temperature gauge.

Where did you get that from, Dave?

MG Cycle.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Please show me your tail   Please show me your tail - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2020 11:49 pm

So is 100C the temperature to aim for or something a bit higher?
I think I read somewhere the oil is overcooled
I was wondering if I have enough air flow through my backing plate, if not I will drill the holes a bit larger.
Where is the optimal place to read the temperature, in the sump or somewhere on the block?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Please show me your tail   Please show me your tail - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2020 11:53 pm

With your 1100 you don't need to worry about blocking off the cooler as they have a thermostat. It's only the 1200's that don't.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Please show me your tail   Please show me your tail - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 07, 2020 12:57 am

Pete Roper wrote:
It's only the 1200's that don't.

Any thoughts why the 1200 8Vs missed out, Pete?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Please show me your tail   Please show me your tail - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 07, 2020 1:10 am

My guess in this, as in all things Guzzi since the bean counters took over, is cost.

The weird thing is that the thermostat could easily of been kept in the lubrication circuit but it's the ungoverned cooling circuit that leads to the massive over cooling. I suppose they thought that since it was going to run so cool because of that there was no point in adding the expense of a thermostat that would in most circumstances be closed and putting one in the cooling circuit would of been more costly and harder to hide.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Please show me your tail   Please show me your tail - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri May 08, 2020 2:08 am

Pete Roper wrote:
With your 1100 you don't need to worry about blocking off the cooler as they have a thermostat. It's only the 1200's that don't.
Thanks Pete, I will increase the hole size then, I don't think its getting over warm but we are not into summer yet.
Is there an optimum temperature for the oil in the sump?

Update: I doubled the cross sectional area of all the holes around the outside.

Last edited by Kiwi_Roy on Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Please show me your tail   Please show me your tail - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri May 08, 2020 2:36 am

Over 90*C minimum. While water changes state at 100*C at sea level it will begin to sublime off a bit before that and because there is a constant throughput and expulsion of gas from the engine the vast majority of the moisture within the crankcase and it's contents will get expelled above that 90*c point.

How hot is too hot is governed by the ability of the oil to maintain its ability to do its jobs and modern synthetic oils can, and in the 8V more than the earlier engines, get very hot albeit momentarily in places like the galleries around the exhaust valves and the under piston sprays. Overall you don't want to see temperatures much above 135-140*C for any length of time but I've rarely seen temperatures that high even stuck in Canberra traffic on days when the mercury is hovering around 42*C! As soon as there is air flow through the cooler in those temperatures the oil temp will rapidly drop to 120*C or less which is fine with a decent synthetic.

Mind you, now I've got the Mana back on the road the number of times I'll bother riding the GRiSO in town in those temps will be measurable on the fingers of one foot! Mana is liquid cooled and has a very effective thermofan that keeps it sweet in even the hottest conditions!
Back to top Go down
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

PostSubject: Re: Please show me your tail   Please show me your tail - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri May 08, 2020 3:51 pm

BEHOLD!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please show me your tail   Please show me your tail - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Please show me your tail
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2