GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Sump spacer gasket swap

Go down 
+23
Evilgarfield
RobR
paulbrice
tsheep2
hezovka
janguzzi
MrBob
MotoJezek
Eire1400
motor-timothy
Muzsaxon
JohnA
beetle
Guzzi Cat
LBC Tenni
odder
ratso88
Pete Roper
bigbikerrick
GuzziSteve
Xcountry41
Oz1200Guzzi
guzziownr
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

Sump spacer gasket swap Empty
PostSubject: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2020 9:48 am

After reading about the various sounds of motors disintegrating I decided to invest $5 (plus shipping) in a new gasket.
The process went according to plan, following the instructions in the service manual, with two caveats:

There are 14 screws around the perimeter of the pan, plus four in recesses around the oil filter that are not mentioned, total of 18 not 14.

The two 4 mm screws securing the oil pickup had blue threadlock from the factory. I followed suit.

Wings, headers and kickstand (I let it dangle) were removed, two bolts securing oil cooler to spacer were removed. I left the oil filter in place and saved the oil as it had recently been changed.

Gasket was in good shape, the lower gasket came off in pieces and was also replaced. No debris inside the pan and nothing on the magnet.  My bike has low miles and is not ridden hard. I feel better knowing it's done.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2020 1:08 pm

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Xcountry41
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Xcountry41

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2020 2:05 pm

Thanks for posting this. It’s the exact issue that is the reason I’m picking up a new to me 2013 GRiSO tomorrow evening. My Stelvio had a couple of momentary low oil pressure fits so on advice from Pete Roper I’m fixing it with a new sump spacer gasket. Problem is, no stock for the parts here in Edmonton. Taking forever to get from Italy to Canuckistan.  it was the opportunity I needed to explain to my wife the merits of a second Guzzi. I’ll be riding by Thursday : cheers
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2020 2:23 pm

Want some from the US, I have a big stack in stock?

Same old gasket forever. Should be lots around.
Back to top Go down
bigbikerrick
Carlotto
Carlotto
bigbikerrick

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2020 2:42 pm

I have a 2017 GRiSO , I dont believe my year is affected by this spacer gasket issue, only earlier models, correct?
thanks
Rick.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2020 2:56 pm

Correct. Post 2015 Grisos use the Cali 14 sump arrangement and don't have a spacer.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2020 3:00 pm

Cheap as chips and great insurance - one less thing to worry about, knowing this gasket IS right.
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2020 5:34 pm

I just did the same thing this past weekend. Both gaskets were intact, so, cheap insurance I say. Who wants to worry about loss of oil pressure in the middle of BFE on the next road trip.

MG Cycle provided the gaskets. The cost was less than ten bucks and I received them in a few days.

Was a good opportunity to pull the canister too.
Back to top Go down
Xcountry41
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Xcountry41

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2020 7:18 pm

ratso88 wrote:
I just did the same thing this past weekend. Both gaskets were intact, so, cheap insurance I say. Who wants to worry about loss of oil pressure in the middle of BFE on the next road trip.

MG Cycle provided the gaskets. The cost was less than ten bucks and I received them in a few days.

Was a good opportunity to pull the canister too.

Yes I did order the upgraded sump spacer gasket from MG. My dealer could not figure out the correct part # . Now I'm kicking myself for not ordering it all from MGC, but then again the $35.00USD worth of items I ordered from Wisconsin will end up costing me approx. $125CAD by the time it gets here (Thick spacer gasket , oil filter wrench, and some crush washers). I'm hoping the dealer is open to some guzzi education and will be willing to stock at least some of the basics. They are new to guzzi ,having taken over the brand from the previous shop that went under, after building themselves a monster huge multi brand superstore.
Back to top Go down
Xcountry41
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Xcountry41

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2020 7:24 pm

GuzziSteve wrote:
Want some from the US, I have a big stack in stock?

Same old gasket forever. Should be lots around.

Thanks GS I think I'm sorted for now. Not sure who is who in here other than Pete but if you want to PM me and introduce yourself I would be happy to have you as one of my resources.
by Thursday morning I'll be riding a GRiSO so the panic for the Stelvio parts will be gone. Driving a cage to work sucks!
Back to top Go down
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2020 10:15 pm

Been thinking about this as well. Good excuse for a maintenance day! Thx for the reminder

I’ve seen two owners photos on this forum where the 5 hole part of the gasket was in pieces
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2020 2:55 pm

I’ll be doing this soon too. I understand this upgraded green gasket is needed for the spacer. How about the lower sump gasket? Is the OEM one ok, or also a failure risk? It looks like AF1 stocks the upgraded spacer gasket, but only the OEM version of the lower gasket.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2020 3:24 pm

The lower gasket doesn't have any pressurised galleries running through it so it's fine. Having said that the aftermarket ones I get are all made of the same thicker material as the spacer gaskets.

Some people have enquired as to whether any other substance, sealant or whatever, needs to be used on the new gaskets? My answer is no. We simply wipe the mating surfaces dry and install the gaskets dry.

One other thing that Michael mentioned is that it is important when re-installing the oil pick ups to ensure that they pass through the sealing o-rings in the cases cleanly. The end of the pipes can benefit from a thin smear of grease or oil and should we wiggled until you can feel them slide through the o-rings. The reason is that the brackets that attach them are really quite flimsy and it is possible for the bracket to bend before the pipe passes through the sealing o-ring and the pumps can then be compromised by 'Sucking air' leading to oil pressure warnings etc.

Now for people who have recently done the gasket swap please don't go tearing your hair out and thinking you need to do it all again because you don't. If you have been running the engine with no pressure warnings or 'Oil can' icon on the dash you're fine. Michael just felt it was important to mention it as he had the issue on Mark's bike when he built the 1400. Look at how the pick-up retainer plates/brackets sit before you remove them and then make sure they look the same and are un-deformed before you whack the sump back on. That's all.

Bill Hagan and SMTCapeCod like this post

Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2020 4:16 pm

Thanks Pete! And thanks to Michael for the additional instructions. I’ll try not to hamfist it.
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Upper sump gasket thickness?   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Thu May 14, 2020 11:08 am

Lads, can some of you give me a measurement on the thickness of the upper gasket? I ordered two gaskets to do the replacement on the GRiSO and the Stelvio. When I ordered them it showed the green gasket in the photo of what I was ordering But what was delivered was two grey in colour gaskets, they look to be good enough quality and are .5mm in thickness.

Are the green gaskets .5mm or are they thicker? as I don’t want to replace them with the same as what’s there already and working fine so far. If the ones you guys are using are .5mm then I will go ahead and use the grey ones and if not I’ll source the green ones.

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Thu May 14, 2020 12:35 pm

I'll take some pics and measurements later today.
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Thu May 14, 2020 12:55 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
I'll take some pics and measurements later today.

Sound Pete, the grey gasket paper looks good quality, but I won’t use them if the green ones that you use are thicker than 0.5mm
Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Thu May 14, 2020 6:54 pm

OK, pics of the two gaskets.

Sump.

Spacer.

The Spacer gasket is the important one and it's about 1.1mm thick.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Thu May 14, 2020 9:15 pm

Onya Pete, batteryless calipers - olds kool - same like mine.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Thu May 14, 2020 10:35 pm

I arksd the young apprentcreature at Dan's if he knew how to read a VC the other day, he said "Of course?" While looking at me as if I had just asked asked him to stick his head in a bucket of turds. So I flung a 0.85mm head gasket off an 8V at him and gave him my calipers and asked him how thick it was. "A bit under a millimeter." He sez....... Rolling Eyes

And people wonder why I drink!

Bill Hagan and DC950 like this post

Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Fri May 15, 2020 1:44 am

Thanks for the update Pete, I will have a look for and fit the meatier green ones. I am not sure if any European supplier has them, if not I will order from the USA. (I use the same Verniers also)

Good to get the thickness clarified Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Fri May 15, 2020 1:58 am

I use digikal one 'cos I blind and need big numbers. Take your analogue elitism and stick in bum. Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Fri May 15, 2020 2:45 am

Guzzi Cat wrote:
Thanks for the update Pete, I will have a look for and fit the meatier green ones. I am not sure if any European supplier has them, if not I will order from the USA. (I use the same Verniers also)

Good to get the thickness clarified Thumbs Up

TLM have the 'Good' gaskets.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Fri May 15, 2020 4:00 am

Would there be a recommendation on mileage or age before this procedure is deemed necessary?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1Fri May 15, 2020 4:10 am

No, not really. It's just one of those things that happens, or doesn't. I haven't done mine but I probably will before I do my round Oz trip.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Sump spacer gasket swap
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next