GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Sump spacer gasket swap

Go down 
+23
Evilgarfield
RobR
paulbrice
tsheep2
hezovka
janguzzi
MrBob
MotoJezek
Eire1400
motor-timothy
Muzsaxon
JohnA
beetle
Guzzi Cat
LBC Tenni
odder
ratso88
Pete Roper
bigbikerrick
GuzziSteve
Xcountry41
Oz1200Guzzi
guzziownr
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri May 15, 2020 11:44 pm

Pete, what's the difference from #14003601 ? Just bigger oil holes ? I thought I used these on the V11's 20yrs ago.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat May 16, 2020 3:43 am

Yup, one bigger oil hole. I think from memory that it's the pick-up gallery which has been enbiggened which makes sense and then the clamping pressure on the crappy gasket forces it outward. The low oil pressure in this case is not from oil escaping past the gasket but air/gas being drawn in.
Back to top Go down
Muzsaxon
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Muzsaxon

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat May 16, 2020 11:57 pm

I have digital, dial and vernier calipers. I like the verniers the best. No dead batteries at the worst time as in the digital calipers, no worries of debris messing up the rack and pinion in the dial calipers. The verniers are both metric and imperial. Stone reliable! When the unfamiliar see you wielding the verniers calipers the take you for an eccentric madman. How cool is that!

Bill Hagan and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 17, 2020 12:25 am

Do you like sponge? I like sponge because they don't allow me anything sharp! Very Happy

Really, I prefer verniers because most electronic ones aren't too accurate, their batteries don't go flat and in a pinch you can use them as a weapon! cheers
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 17, 2020 8:20 am

You guys are digital racists. Why don't you go and put carburettors on your GRiSO's. You clearly fear the 1's & 0's.

Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Availability in Europe   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 18, 2020 2:39 am

A heads up for anyone ordering the thicker gasket in Europe, Gutsibits in the UK showed a green one that I thought was the correct one but the grey 0.5mm one arrived and Stein Dinse in Germany also sent the wrong one.

So thanks to the heads-up from Pete, I have 2 thick ones ordered from TLM in Holland, shipping is pretty expensive, even within Europe So I ordered a T-shirt and a few bits to make it worthwhile.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 18, 2020 7:36 am

Is this is doable with the bike on the side stand? My GRiSO is due for an oil change and this topic has made me nervous, so I was thinking of changing the gaskets as well.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 18, 2020 7:42 am

No, the side stand bracket bolts to the sump spacer. You can leave it on but it's best to strap the bike upright.

Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 18, 2020 8:05 am

Thanks Pete, it will have to wait then until I own a paddock stand in the future.
Back to top Go down
Eire1400
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Eire1400

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 18, 2020 4:33 pm

Guzzi Cat wrote:
Thanks for the update Pete, I will have a look for and fit the meatier green ones. I am not sure if any European supplier has them, if not I will order from the USA. (I use the same Verniers also)

Good to get the thickness clarified Thumbs Up

Hi From Cork.
Let us know where u source it please.
I'm due a service and wouldn't mind getting this job done also.

Thanks
Shane
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 18, 2020 5:43 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Roll it into an order with a few other bits, sump gasket, a couple of oil filters, rocker cover gaskets and plug tube gaskets or o-rings, tampons, an air filter, MGS-01 etc. to amortise the freight costs
Back to top Go down
MotoJezek
Carlotto
Carlotto
MotoJezek

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 31, 2020 12:28 pm

Did mine today- 2014 with @ 10k miles. Gasket was intact.
Back to top Go down
MrBob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrBob

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:35 pm

Finally got around to doing the sump spacer ( or crankcase flange) gasket swap out.I had no problems to date, so was , preventative maintenance which needed to be done.

Glad I went ahead with this, ( at Petes suggestion)  as the gasket was brittle thin and was on the verge of blowing out any time soon. bit over 50K Klms on the clock.

Found it a PIA crawling around on the ground, but got the job done, tricky bit was the removal of the oil pick ups and the reinstalling of the same, hard to do by feel alone.All seems ok, as nothing amiss has shown on the dash or rattles and bangs by ear.

Bike hoist is now on the xmas list!

Oz1200Guzzi and Bill Hagan like this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:26 am

Excuse my ignorance....I have a 2014 and it appears to have a sump with no spacer. Is this possible?
Ive read that only 2015’s and forward are this way.
Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:28 pm

If the picture in your avatar is your bike it does indeed have a spacer.

The sump is obvious, the spacer is the next bit 'Up' from the sump, sandwiched between the sump and the crankcase.

If you look at the parts diagram exploded view of the crankcase you can see clearly the separate parts.

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:52 pm

Thank you Pete. That is my bike. It’s hard to tell that it’s two pieces. I looked in the parts manual and it shows two pieces but the manual says it’s from 2013. I haven’t found one newer and would rather trust you and the sme’s here than a manual anyway.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:48 pm

You have to realise you're talking Guzzi here. Change is glacial, almost Soviet, in its slowness!

In the 1200-8V series there were many detail changes but the major components changed very little.

In terms that effect most owners the 8V GRiSO didn't change hardly at all between 2008 and 2015. The exception being the change to roller tappets in 2013 of course. That caused a cascade of minor, detail changes, things like the depth of the cam weirs and corresponding machining of the head castings, rocker castings, tappet adjuster screws, spark plug tube placement and sealing but none of these things matter to an individual owner.

In terms of things like the block, the crank, rods and pistons, valves, cylinders, in fact all the stuff that makes the 'Engine' nothing much changed until the advent of the Cali 14 which in itself is a descendent of the 1200 and from 2015 the GRiSO adopted its sump and lubrication paraphernalia.'

These bikes and this company are not like the 'Big-4' Japanese companies in the 1980's who would pump out endless series of quite radically differently engineered models year after year. It's a small, poor, subsidiary company and has been for decades. The CARC series bikes were it seems the last, splendid, burst of inventive competitiveness I'm likely to see in my lifetime as Piaggio seems bent on reducing Guzzi to a state of bland nondescriptness. It seems to be working though as the insipid V85 is selling like hot cakes!

I'll ride out my career on my GRiSO thanks. Unless someone at Piaggio has a brain fart, sacks the current *Design* team at Guzzi and appoints someone who can build an exciting motorbike again.

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:04 am

I’d love to see something the size and displacement of the GRiSO come out.
Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:52 am

HMB Guzzi (Germany) has those:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.janguzzi.de/
hezovka
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
hezovka

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:15 am

I did ask local dealer for thick gasket and received GU01003650. As I see it is the thin one 0,55 mm. So let's order from HMB another one.
Back to top Go down
Eire1400
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Eire1400

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:12 pm

Got around to checking / replacing my spacer gasket over the weekend. Badly blown gasket. Job went smoothly thanks to this and other threads.

Found these pieces in my sump tho, could they be flat tappet failure related that were never cleaned out properly when she was rollerised?

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:30 am

No idea on the 'Free bits' in the sump but the pic clearly shows why it's a good idea to replace the rather inadequate original gasket.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:30 am

Guys,
Some questions on replacing both gaskets on my 2014. I keep the GRiSO on a good front wheel chock so its always upright and it will give me a little more height to get under the sump.
- First, is there a procedure written anyplace? I know this sounds not too complicated but I've read some gotcha's
- Is it necessary to disassemble the headers just to get the kickstand off? Looks like I can get a wrench behind the exhaust to get the back bolt on the kickstand. May be a harder to get it back on....
- steps are: drain the oil and remove filter, deal with the kickstand, remove the 14 bolts on the sump, then look for 4 more up near where the filter sits? Then both the sump and the spacer will drop down? What holds the two pieces of the sump together? The 14 outside bolts?

- Do both pieces of the sump get married together with the new gaskets and then pushed back up in place to be bolted back together? What do you need to look out for going back together?

Many thanks!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:10 am

Remove the headers, the pretzel and can can stay in place. Once the sump is off there are half a dozen more bolts, (Of different lengths so don't mix them up!) that hold on the oil pick ups and sump spacer. You also need to detach the oil condensate return pipe from the back of the sump.

It's pretty straightforward, just take your time and remember that if either the sump or the spacer are reluctant to come off you have missed something.

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:48 am

Pete,
One more sorry. When I take the condensate return pipe loose, shown here. I presume I loosen the connection on the left and leave the "nipple" coming out of the back of the sump in place? Also, is there some type of seal that  will need to replace in between? I've ordered new gaskets for the headers (at both ends) and new bolts and washers for the header flanges and of course the two sump gaskets. I hate getting into something only to find out I need another part. Many thanks again.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sump spacer gasket swap   Sump spacer gasket swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Sump spacer gasket swap
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next