GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Roller vs flat tappets on a 2013

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Xcountry41
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Xcountry41

Roller vs flat tappets on a 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Roller vs flat tappets on a 2013   Roller vs flat tappets on a 2013 Icon_minitime1Tue May 12, 2020 6:19 pm

Hi all,
Well I’m feeling a little embarrassed and looking to fix that. I purchased my 2013 SE last week and am realizing I made a huge assumption regarding rollers without actually verifying. A noise change in the top end on re- start of the hot engine got me wondering. It gets clacky when restarted after running/ riding for a while then sitting off for 5-10 min. Seems to be running well otherwise.
I looked through some of the threads on the subject but still have questions. VIN:ZGULSU028DM200085
- where do I find the engine # and engine build date?
- how do I tell the difference between rollers and flats visually once I pull the VC’s? (Silly question maybe?)
As always, any assistance is much appreciated.
Best regards,
Gary
PS. The date on the headstock plate is 4-2013
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Xcountry41 on Wed May 13, 2020 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Roller vs flat tappets on a 2013   Roller vs flat tappets on a 2013 Icon_minitime1Tue May 12, 2020 7:00 pm

Engine number is on the left hand side of the block just below the cylinder base. The number is dot-matrix stamped into the only bit of visible bare metal near the dipstick.

As a 2013 plate I would be very surprised if it is a flat tappet machine but it's worth checking. Lots of pics here of the difference in appearance between flats and rollers, do a quick search.

If it's noisy when hot the most likely issue is going to be the blown out spacer gasket issue as covered in this thread.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Problem manifests itself by the gasket blowing out around the biggest of the holes in the spacer at the front where the three galleries are. I was looking for a pic but didn't find one easily. Clancy recently posted one up in another thread.

I did find these though that show the difference in tappet types.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Xcountry41
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Xcountry41

PostSubject: Re: Roller vs flat tappets on a 2013   Roller vs flat tappets on a 2013 Icon_minitime1Tue May 12, 2020 8:17 pm

Thanks Pete,
Now that you mention it that’s what it sounds like, but I’m not getting any low oil pressure indication on the inst. cluster so didn’t think that was it at first. Funny enough I am in the middle of replacing the spacer gasket on my Stelvio as we speak (so to speak!). Gaskets arrived in the mail yesterday and I even ordered an extra, I should be gold. Funny, the P.O. answered a text I sent and confirmed the bike has rollers. Once again your insight and reassurance are so very much appreciated. Should get a visual on the Stelvio gasket condition tonight and back together tomorrow. My best Regards,
Gary
UPDATE:
Gasket was blown at the typical spot.working on uploading a photo but no joy yet.
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roller vs flat tappets on a 2013   Roller vs flat tappets on a 2013 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Roller vs flat tappets on a 2013
Page 1 of 1