GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Alternator belt replacement

Go down 
+14
GuzziSteve
BigTime
Matias
Buellbloke
Gouldy1411
lcjohnny
gerrit
Kiwi_Roy
JohnA
eeyore
paulbrice
BrianD
Pete Roper
Dave R
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

Alternator belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Sun May 24, 2020 5:45 am

My bikes in for its annual service and MOT next week.  It's a 2015 with (approx) 12000 miles (20000 km).  I don't get in as many miles as I'd like due to work and family commitments, but I do like to make sure that it's serviced annually.  The schedule says the alternator belt should be adjusted at 20000 km and replaced at 50000, but I've also read on another thread to change it every 3 -4 years.  

So do I work on the basis that it's only done 20000 km and needs adjusting, or do I work on the basis of it's five years old and should be replaced?  

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Sun May 24, 2020 6:00 am

Have a look at it. If it looks fine and isn't cracked or loose? Leave it alone.

lcjohnny and Bill Dee like this post

Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Sun May 24, 2020 11:36 am

Cheers Pete - I'd thought of doing that, but wanted reassurance it wasn't a cop-out
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Tue May 26, 2020 4:13 am

I am thinking about replacing mine, believe to be orignal from 2011 which now has 46,000 + miles, I gather there are quite a few alter native belts which are pretty much same lenght + or - a little. Is there sufficient adjustment to accomodate these?

thanks
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Tue May 26, 2020 4:21 am

Yup. Gimme a prod if I forget but I can give you the Gates # if you wish. The factory belts aren't particularly spendy but few shops will have them on the shelf. The Gates option is available pretty much anywhere.
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Tue May 26, 2020 4:38 am

OK thanks, I do have some cross references
Gates 4PK738 = 738mm
Gates 4PK740 = 740mm
Cadna 290K4 = 29" whic hI think is 736mm
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Tue May 26, 2020 4:43 am

Gutsi Bits have 1 in stock at £19.90 + £3.50 postage..... I bought one ages ago and keeping it until the old one starts looking rough.... Main related problem I've already had was one of the plastic cover bolt was completely rusted in and had to be drilled/tapped out after it sheared (even 'special extractors' wouldn't touch it......funny enough (not) had identical problem at same position on guzzi V50 front cover - guess it's where the water spends most time.
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Tue May 26, 2020 5:37 am

Cheers, I was thinking about being a cheapskate Smile

I replaced the front cover bolts with stainless - so hopefully will come apart OK.

I haev wondered about the belt as a couple months ago I spent a log of time riding through floodwater about foot, foot and half deep.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Wed May 27, 2020 12:39 pm

BrianD wrote:
Cheers, I was thinking about being a cheapskate Smile

I replaced the front cover bolts with stainless - so hopefully will come apart OK.

I haev wondered about the belt as a couple months ago I spent a log of time riding through floodwater about foot, foot and half deep.

If not already done it could be beneficial to grease the suspension bearings.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Wed May 27, 2020 1:24 pm

Can someone tell me how much has to be removed to get at the top two bolts and get the cover off? Or the best way to go about this.
Thank you.

John
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Wed May 27, 2020 2:52 pm

I've been a bit busy over the last few days but I'll try and answer this and a few other questions by the weekend if I can.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Wed May 27, 2020 3:57 pm

Here is a post I did earlier 2007 2V/cylinder
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Thu May 28, 2020 5:31 am

Thanks Roy. Very helpful. That’s swimming in the deep end for me......
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:28 am

Fitted new alternator belt yesterday, believe it's original so about 10 years old and 50K plus miles. slight cracking on ribs.

Belt fitted - 4PK730
Original belt length - 740 (outside measurement)

May be useful to someone
Back to top Go down
gerrit
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
gerrit

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:29 am

I bought a GRiSO 850 2007 with approx. 30,000 km. Suddenly my battery was empty. Cause: Alternator belt was completely gone. I only found some tiny pieces when replacing it. So it was obviously that the old timing belt was the original one. Not only km's count also the age of the belt is a reason to replace the belt.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:18 am

Just replacing my alternator belt this afternoon.
There is corrosion and semi-seizure on: one screw holding the ecu, some screws holding the outer cover, the breather stand-off boss, the alternator lock screw and the adjuster screw.
I have removed both exhaust down pipes and both 'wings'. Doesn't make it 'easy' - but it is letting me get all of these screws out with the minimum of collateral damage.

Any metallurgists out there? If i use coppaslip on stainless bolts in aluminium will that lead to more or less electrochemical corrosion?

specky1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gouldy1411
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Gouldy1411

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:08 am

Has anyone checked their alternator bearings when changing the belt? My G11 is coming up to 40K and I have this strange noise from the front of the bike. Sounds like dry bearing noise. I have removed the cover and checked the belt - looks like new- but have not removed it yet, so have not spun the alternator to check for any roughness
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:13 pm

Dave R wrote:
My bikes in for its annual service and MOT next week.  It's a 2015 with (approx) 12000 miles (20000 km).  I don't get in as many miles as I'd like due to work and family commitments, but I do like to make sure that it's serviced annually.  The schedule says the alternator belt should be adjusted at 20000 km and replaced at 50000, but I've also read on another thread to change it every 3 -4 years.  

So do I work on the basis that it's only done 20000 km and needs adjusting, or do I work on the basis of it's five years old and should be replaced?  

Cheers

If it aint broke dont fix it. Cost a pretty penny for removal and replacement from a shop.
Total ballache for the home mechanic
Have never seen mine, bike has 15k and is 12 years old.
You'll know if it snaps the battery will stop charging.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:27 pm

4PK-730, 735 or 740 will do a 725 is just a smidge too short.

Changing the belt is hardly a difficult job. Yes you need to drop the ECU off, (On a GRiSO.) to get to the top bolts on the belt cover but that and the left 'Wing' are about it. There is a special tool for setting the belt tension but it's completely unnecessary as long as you have some grasp of how to set a belt.

Thing with belts is that they will either tend to fail early, (Due to being too tight or too loose, usually the latter.) or last a very long time. We've had 150,000 km bikes in that have never had the belt changed. I changed mine recently on the yellow bike at about 80,000km and it basically looked brand new. No cracking or discernible wear. I thought it was time though.

kindoy2 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Matias
Biondino
Biondino
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:43 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Have a look at it. If it looks fine and isn't cracked or loose? Leave it alone.

Hi Pete,

To do a visual check on the belt it is really necessary to take all the steps on the manual (remove the control unit, exhaust headers,....)? Just checking ir there would be a short cut 🙄....

Thanks....
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:28 am

That's about it. You need to get to the bolts to get the belt cover off. Those bits are in the way. No need to disconnect the ECU from memory, just hang it away to the side a bit.
Back to top Go down
Matias
Biondino
Biondino
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:40 am

👍
Back to top Go down
BigTime
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BigTime

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:46 am

I have changed the alternator belt this year.

Here are some fotos from the original Guzzi and the Dayco 4PK 730.

The Dayco belt fits nicely.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
Matias
Biondino
Biondino
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:53 am

Hi
Did you use the special tool to measure the belt tension, or did you tensioned it by feeling?.....
Back to top Go down
BigTime
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BigTime

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:19 am

Hi,

in fact i used the tool 020677Y (50 Nm) - bought it from Stein Dinse years ago.

I have done the job alone by myself and it worked fine for me.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alternator belt replacement   Alternator belt replacement Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Alternator belt replacement
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next