GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Thoughts on Luggage

Go down 
+19
theTURN
Spruce Goose
gr1zo
Pisano
Robinson_Spike
odder
Omnis
wyno
beetle
MalG
Street
tvboy
Pete Roper
Bill Hagan
groundhog105
sideshowbob
freewaystreak
kiwi dave
Bulldog9
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

Thoughts on Luggage Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:40 pm

For whatever reason, I've never thought of putting bags on the GRiSO, and have kept it as naked and un'farkled or heehawed' as possible, and used as a day tripper romp on it bike. More and more however, especially after my back to back re-indoctrination days this weekend I am thinking it is a shame I am not taking it on multi day trips. Not talking coast to coast week long touring, but 3-4 day trips that require clothes, gear, etc.

The C-Bow racks and bags would keep the GRiSO looking right, but the bags are small and fairly expensive.

Are there other functional strap/throw over options? I really don't want to spoil it's brilliant design the way I have mauled the Stornello.  I dont regret ANY of the many additions and modifications to the Stornello TT (my moniker instead of getting a V85), but I would never dream of cluttering up the GRiSO that way.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:09 pm

I have fitted Hepco & Becker C-bow mounts to my GRiSO.  The good thing is that they can be easily removed and restored, just two allen bolts on each side.

With the GRiSO, I usually run Givi E21 bags, but the full range of Hepco bags fit straight on, or Givi ones with a Givi adapter.

The world is your oyster.

Edit:  Added a photo

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

jknight611 likes this post

Back to top Go down
freewaystreak
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
freewaystreak

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:24 pm

I use Cortech bags easy adjustable have 2 sidebars, tail pack and a tank bag. On and off in a couple of minutes. Done a few 3000 mile trips with them
Back to top Go down
freewaystreak
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
freewaystreak

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:24 pm

*bags
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:14 pm

Just strap a small bag on the pillion.

Weißgerät likes this post

Back to top Go down
groundhog105
Carlotto
Carlotto
groundhog105

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:42 pm

I just did 4700 mile two week tour with this set up. 30 ltr hepco bags. The racks come off with three bolts on each side.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:09 pm

Come take a day trip with mine. I have the soft and hard bags.
Both will handle your wallet with room to spare.
You’ll need your wallet to buy the things you’ll need to wear on the trip. ;-)
Seriously, though that was not entirely in jest, I like them for short trips and have gotten better at not trying to bring the kitchen sink. The Norge spoiled me, tho.
If you are disciplined and can travel light, they will work just fine; if not better have your wife following in a support vehicle!
Bill
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:52 pm

3 day trip? Socks, shorts, jeans, t shirts, shave kit. What more could you possibly need. Small bag.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:08 pm

I took a tux once. :-)
Bill
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:48 pm

I did a month long run from LA up through Oregon and Washington way back when on the GRiSO Pinko with the 'Big' factory tank bag and a tail bag. I didn't get too smelly. I wasn't camping though.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:01 pm

Bill Hagan wrote:

Bill
Wow!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:28 am

Take a look at Viking Bags. They have a lot of options and I chose the Mini Sport bike bags. They are a soft bag style that can be expanded with a zipper. Very similar to the SW Motech Blaze but not $400
They fit almost perfectly on a GRiSO and only cost about $60. As with any "universal fit" soft bag they try to swing inward toward the tire so I made a simple bracket that bolts up under the rear fender using the four T studs.
The bracket's sole purpose is to keep the bags from swinging inward and keep them from touching the bike's purdy green paint . I travel light on my trips so I can get what I need into them. I'm inept at attaching photos to this forum but I can send a few pics to you directly if you're curious. Here's the link to Viking.    https://www.vikingbags.com/street-bike-saddlebags Edit: Forgot to add that Viking has a large selection of nice tail bags so that could augment your saddle bags for additional storage.

Last edited by tvboy on Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:54 am

Unless camping, I use one bag (right) for tool and plug kit, rain gear, water/food, one bag (left) for change of socks, shorts/pants and shirts with light shoes and shave kit.  I usually use the topcase for tent/tarp/hammock, light sleeping bag, stove/utensils & such. I pack pretty light. Those throw over Viking bags look like a good option. I used to have a set of CORTECH throw overs that were similar.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:18 am

Here's that link:

Clicky

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:07 pm

sideshowbob wrote:
Bill Hagan wrote:

Bill
Wow!

Actually, I did that twice.   cheers

First for a military ceremonial dinner in Williamsburg;  the second, for daughter's wedding in Maryland.  We then lived in Georgia.

OBTW, BD9, I just ordered once of these tankbags to use on Stornello, V7 III, and EV.  

Cheap Tank Bag

The Stornello, as you only too well know, is a bit luggage-challenged, so I suspect it will get most use.  The III also only has the C-Bow itty-bitties, so, I suppose it'll go with it on longer trips.  The EV already has capacious H-B side-cases and a top case, but if two-up with Kathi, the kitchen sink takes up the whole tail trunk.  queen Shocked

As it attaches with magnets -- tho suction-cup version is available -- can't use with GRiSO or Norge, but the little Givis with Onur's quick-lock system are just fine.

Bill
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:40 pm

I just looked up Cortech and they do look very similar.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:04 pm

I'm a fan of banana bags, although they don't seem to be as common as they used to be. They have the advantage of not requiring a superstructure - they sit on the pillion seat, and hang over each side about 6 inches, tie to the pillion footpegs and strap to the rear rack. The heavy stuff goes in each side, helps keep weight low, and there's plenty of room in the middle. Otherwise, Andy Strapz has 2 contenders in the rack-less luggage stakes - seat bags for the pillion seat. I've found them to be very useful - I like the handy pockets each side & a top flap that can house loads of the bags' overflow.

Weißgerät likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:19 pm

Yes. I have a thought. Don’t do this.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:22 pm

So is the kitchen sink a single or one of those doubles?
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:04 pm

beetle wrote:

Yes. I have a thought. Don’t do this.

I burn my dead bodies, not strap to the back of my bike Laughing Cool Shocked

Bad Karma likes this post

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:03 pm

Saves wear on your front tyre though!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:17 pm

I've posted my setup before and I know it's not what you prefer, but it works for me. Some of you guys have objected to the look of the racks when not in use, but to me it just says, "this bike is ready to go".  I can't be bothered to put them on and take them off and put them on and take them off ad infinitum. Besides, I can't see them when I'm riding anyway. Just put the bags on and ride the fuckin' thing!

stimpetta, groundhog105, Bad Karma and Tarrega like this post

Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:20 am

^^^^
That's how I think too Pete.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:16 am

tvboy wrote:
So is the kitchen sink a single or one of those doubles?

Ha! Depends on her mood. queen cheers Shocked

Bill

Back to top Go down
Omnis
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Omnis

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:38 am

Fully loaded for a 3 weeks ride to western Canada (and back)

Yahu likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Luggage   Thoughts on Luggage Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Luggage
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next