GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Thoughts and pondering

Go down 
+3
SMTCapeCod
lcjohnny
bhattman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bhattman
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
bhattman

Thoughts and pondering  Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts and pondering    Thoughts and pondering  Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:34 pm

Got my ‘14 GRiSO on Thursday and immediately did a 150 km city ride. First thoughts? Whoa, loved the bike. The long wheelbase felt weird after coming off a Ducati Streetfighter, but I felt sporty and cruiser like all at the same time. I felt powerful!!! Love. Still so much more to explore.

In my weekend YouTube gorging, I was reminded of another bike I was leaning to get, but had not ridden - the Indian FTR1200. For so many, it’s considered the perfect bike. So much coverage on the bike! It looks great.

I did a side by side comparison of the two. Holy moly do they look the same spec wise. So so many similarities!!!

Has anyone ridden the Indian FTR and compared to the GRiSO? What are your thoughts? Is GRiSO, in effect, the perfect bike as well ;-)?

Bobcat Sig likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and pondering    Thoughts and pondering  Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:24 am

The FTR1200 i test rode was more like a softer version of my Monster than a GRiSO.

It had much less flywheel than the GRiSO so less smooth push but more responsive and sweeter gearchanges. Not a bad bike at all
Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and pondering    Thoughts and pondering  Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:46 am

Check the end of this thread:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

bhattman and Charles like this post

Back to top Go down
Bobcat Sig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bobcat Sig

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and pondering    Thoughts and pondering  Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:58 am

I have ridden neither bike. While the GRiSO and other Guzzis tend to be well regarded, two people whom I trust very much - both of which are high-level riders - do not have good things to say about the FTR. In short; harshly suspended, weird ergos, and puzzling and poorly executed throttle map.

The GRiSO, for all its foibles, seems to be a better executed and sorted bike. That said, motorcycles are entirely an emotional decision. Get the one that blows your hair bike.

I am curious about the comparisons of the GRiSO to your Streetfighter. I'm adding to my collection, and as you can see in my signature, most bikes are pretty focused either on dirt or sport. I'd love to hear more about the SF vs. GRiSO.

bhattman likes this post

Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and pondering    Thoughts and pondering  Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:44 pm

I own both.  Purchased an FTR1200S immediately after Covid-19 lockdown was lifted in NZ.  (I then bought a Chief Classic, but that's another story).

I experienced lots of problems with the FTR.  Took up to 15 times to get her to turn over the motor when trying to start.  Could not convince the local agent to replace the battery, even after they relunctantly replaced the solenoid.  A voltmeter would have told them the (new) battery was sulphated, but they knew better.

But the main problem was the fueling.  It ran like an absolute pig, so I fitted a Dynajet PV3.  Still lots of issues, until it was clear the PV3 was faulty, and Ryan sent a replacement which cured the problem.

My GRiSO 1200SE gave far less issues, but I still have a soft spot for the pair of Indians I own.

Bobcat Sig and bhattman like this post

Back to top Go down
bhattman
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
bhattman

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and pondering    Thoughts and pondering  Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:25 pm

Bobcat Sig wrote:
I have ridden neither bike. While the GRiSO and other Guzzis tend to be well regarded, two people whom I trust very much - both of which are high-level riders - do not have good things to say about the FTR. In short; harshly suspended, weird ergos, and puzzling and poorly executed throttle map.

The GRiSO, for all its foibles, seems to be a better executed and sorted bike. That said, motorcycles are entirely an emotional decision. Get the one that blows your hair bike.

I am curious about the comparisons of the GRiSO to your Streetfighter. I'm adding to my collection, and as you can see in my signature, most bikes are pretty focused either on dirt or sport. I'd love to hear more about the SF vs. GRiSO.

I had a 2014 SF848. Nice bike but felt light to me and not refined. I came back to riding after 14 years and my last bike before ending motorcycling was a Ducati Multistrada. I thought I was going down the Ducati brand hole but then realized performance and speed is not what I was chasing. I valued quality, style, reliability and uniqueness the most. So based on those values, the GRiSO made me super happy, the SF did not. But that was way more flickable, very sport, sexy and light. Going at 100 kph, I felt the wind truly hitting me. The GRiSO without a fairing doesn’t feel the same but I think I am leaned a bit more forward on the GRiSO. The GRiSO feels like a sport cruiser to me which I am digging and fits the style I was trying to get. The SF would be a great canyon carver.

Hope that helps. Btw, I bought the SF unridden. It’s sold now, and maybe I didn’t give it a fair chance, but am super happy going down the Guzzi rabbit hole.

Bobcat Sig likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bobcat Sig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bobcat Sig

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and pondering    Thoughts and pondering  Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:50 pm

bhattman wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:

I had a 2014 SF848. Nice bike but felt light to me and not refined. I came back to riding after 14 years and my last bike before ending motorcycling was a Ducati Multistrada. I thought I was going down the Ducati brand hole but then realized performance and speed is not what I was chasing. I valued quality, style, reliability and uniqueness the most. So based on those values, the GRiSO made me super happy, the SF did not. But that was way more flickable, very sport, sexy and light. Going at 100 kph, I felt the wind truly hitting me. The GRiSO without a fairing doesn’t feel the same but I think I am leaned a bit more forward on the GRiSO. The GRiSO feels like a sport cruiser to me which I am digging and fits the style I was trying to get. The SF would be a great canyon carver.

Hope that helps. Btw, I bought the SF unridden. It’s sold now, and maybe I didn’t give it a fair chance, but am super happy going down the Guzzi rabbit hole.

All good. I too had a Streetfighter 848, a MTS 1100 S, and currently own a MTS 1200 Pikes Peak and Hypermotard 1100 S. A GRiSO would add to my stable.

That comparison makes sense and it adds to my lust for a GRiSO. Something a bit different in my stable sounds fun.

bhattman likes this post

Back to top Go down
kubbie
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kubbie

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and pondering    Thoughts and pondering  Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:20 pm

I WANT an FTR (and a Speed Triple and a Goldwing). Did a demo ride at Bike Week in Daytona last month.
Rode a Scout and the FTR. I always liked the Scout. It was fun BUT as a single seater my tailbone was jammed up against the rear of the seat. And MY KNEES... they were higher than the gas cap. Not very comfortable.
The FTR? Was a definite blast. Turn on the full power map and its a wheelie machine. My big problem was every time I would blip the throttle it would stall. 4 times one my little loop. When I brought it back and told the tech he instantly went digging in the dash/computer to see what was going on. Good for him. But the guy in charge just blamed me. I promptly told him to f*%k him self.
The Scout is off my list (comfort issues) BUT I STILL WANT THE FTR>
Back to top Go down
Bobcat Sig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bobcat Sig

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and pondering    Thoughts and pondering  Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:49 am

kubbie wrote:
I WANT an FTR (and a Speed Triple and a Goldwing). Did a demo ride at Bike Week in Daytona last month.
Rode a Scout and the FTR. I always liked the Scout. It was fun BUT as a single seater my tailbone was jammed up against the rear of the seat. And MY KNEES... they were higher than the gas cap. Not very comfortable.
The FTR? Was a definite blast. Turn on the full power map and its a wheelie machine. My big problem was every time I would blip the throttle it would stall. 4 times one my little loop. When I brought it back and told the tech he instantly went digging in the dash/computer to see what was going on. Good for him. But the guy in charge just blamed me. I promptly told him to f*%k him self.
The Scout is off my list (comfort issues) BUT I STILL WANT THE FTR>
Your experience about the throttle and fuel mapping is what I've heard more often than not about the FTR. It's a handsome bike to be sure but proceed with caution. Polaris didn't seem interested in bringing up the final fit and finish of the bike to that of its European rivals.
Back to top Go down
rothbard
Carlotto
Carlotto
rothbard

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and pondering    Thoughts and pondering  Icon_minitime1Sun May 30, 2021 7:37 am

I test rode both the FTR 1200 and the GRiSO (and also rode an R Nine T a few times) and bought the GRiSO. The FTR felt like the acceleration was faster and it wasn't as front heavy. So it felt like you could wheelie it if you weren't careful.

The GRiSO has more presence. It's throatier and feels bigger. It may not be, but the transverse twin makes it feel bigger.

I love my GRiSO. Best bike I've ridden, and I've had the fortune of riding about 20 different bikes in the last three years.
Back to top Go down
https://www.twistedroad.com
bhattman
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
bhattman

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and pondering    Thoughts and pondering  Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:31 pm

Great validation rothbard
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and pondering    Thoughts and pondering  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Thoughts and pondering
Page 1 of 1