GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Sump Leaking

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

Sump Leaking Empty
PostSubject: Sump Leaking   Sump Leaking Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:46 am

Hi All,

Noticed last night a very small puddle of oil under the sump and upon further inspection, I saw a slight drip from on and around the oil filter, see picture below. The second picture shows the amount of oil I wiped from the sumo.

To give some background, April last year, I threaded the sump plug, resulting in having to take the bottom part of the sump pan off in order to Helicoil a new plug. In the process I replaced the gasket, however, I was sent the gasket for the upper part of the sump, which had not been removed, rather than the lower. Because of an arranged European trip a few days later, and seeing that the gasket fits with some minor modifications, I went ahead a used. Because the upper gasket which I used, doesn't have a section for the oil filter, I actually used the part from the old gasket. I am now wondering whether that has failed, or has moved ever-so slightly causing this small leak. I guess its time to fir the proper gasket.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Sump Leaking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sump Leaking   Sump Leaking Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:18 pm

I’ll always be a student here but it feels like you answered your own question. Additionally, I’d make sure you don’t have two oil filter gaskets up in there, i.e. left the old one on by mistake when doing an oil filter change. Learned about that mistake from someone here and Pete.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

Sump Leaking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sump Leaking   Sump Leaking Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:31 pm

JohnA wrote:
i.e. left the old one on by mistake when doing an oil filter change.

Yep. Guilty as charged. Rectified quickly when I noticed the used one was sans gasket.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

Sump Leaking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sump Leaking   Sump Leaking Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:30 am

I guess I lead a charmed life, as I've yet to leave the old gasket. But someday.....

Just a couple days ago, I was supervising son-in-law changing the oil in his new truck. He asked why he couldn't get the new filter to engage the threads........... Yup., old filter had no gasket. Where could it be?
Back to top Go down
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

Sump Leaking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sump Leaking   Sump Leaking Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:40 am

HEY Kiwi Dave, I claim to be  guy unwise enough to leave the old gasket in..  and will never do that twice let me tell you!
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

Sump Leaking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sump Leaking   Sump Leaking Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:23 am

Removed the lower sump, and low and behold, the section I recycled a year ago that goes round the filter housing had split. I assume this is what was causing a leak. Sump off, new gasket installed and just waiting for a new filter (may as well carry out mini service) and fill up with new clean oil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sump Leaking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sump Leaking   Sump Leaking Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Sump Leaking
Page 1 of 1