GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

First HARD Ride Report

Go down 
+7
rick pope
Bill Hagan
Steak
usedtobefast
Pete Roper
Dilliw
Groovitz
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Groovitz
Carlotto
Carlotto
Groovitz

First HARD Ride Report Empty
PostSubject: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:06 am

Finally passed the break-in sessions and let the girl LOOSE in the mountains of upstate NY. I have discovered the 3K RPM stumble mumble and spit. I have removed all the emissions stuff and installed a Leo Vince V-10 slip on muffler. Saved 17 lbs and gave the girl a growl. I have NOT done any Beetle remap yet. I really wanted to get a baseline performance feel before I made any changes. I can see where there will be benefits now, and I know where I want them. I've run the bike HARD for these 2000 miles that I've piled on in upstate NY. The pandemic thingy has made the roads EMPTY and the police nowhere to be seen. Kind of like a 'Free-For-All' if you ride within your limits and don't draw outrageous attention (44 years experience sport riding). I've run the bike into the rev-limiter in top gear (an indicated 142 mph). I seriously DO NOT recommend doing this. It's violent, and I can only imagine the universals and gears were torchered for that instant!!! I'll never let that happen again. I'm running RedLine Shockproof in the trans & diff. The brakes feel & feedback are SPECTACULAR! The handling is well balanced and very inspiring. The stock tires are surprisingly sticky and durable (3000 HARD miles on them now). The forks & rear suspension are VERY adequate. And now the WTF moment: The dreaded 'Hung Throttle' has appeared. What's the 'Hung Throttle'??? My 2009 Aprilia DD750 has on a few occasions refused to return to idle. Engine rpm hanging at about 2000 rpm!!! When this occurred, while downshifting and braking hard prior to corner entry, it is VERY unnerving!!! You're expecting engine braking and what you get feels like acceleration!!! I thought I had lost my mind and didn't shut the throttle down completely. Then it did it again, and again. Very sporadically, but when it happens, you BETTER be ready for it. I had to stand it straight up and brake to the max front & rear to avoid running off the road. I've discussed this issue with Aprilia peeps and it seems to be a 'Fly by Wire' thing. No fix available that I know of. So, it happen just once so far on my GRiSO. Luckily I wasn't full honk into a corner. I pulled the clutch in and observed the engine rpm hanging at about 2000 rpm. I revved it a few times and it slow returned to idle. Not happy about this development! Anyone else experience this? Any ideas what this could be? Other than that issue, I'm in LOVE with the girl. Sorry for the length of this post. But you asked for my GRiSO Experience. So there it is. Feedback encouraged. Thumbs Up[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Groovitz on Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:49 am; edited 2 times in total

Bill Hagan and dlpannebakker like this post

Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:22 am

Tracy Road? Loved that area when I lived in Schenectady

Groovitz likes this post

Back to top Go down
Groovitz
Carlotto
Carlotto
Groovitz

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:37 am

Dilliw wrote:
Tracy Road?  Loved that area when I lived in Schenectady

Mostly from Orange County up into the Catskills, Big Indian Wilderness, Ashokan, Pepacton, ect...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:37 pm

The GRiSO is not a RBW machine. Hanging throttle will most likely be either a gummy stepper motor or more likely simply that the bike is incorrectly tuned. Check the air bleeds. Are they both open?

Groovitz likes this post

Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:28 pm

Could the oil level be a bit high? Sending extra oil into the airbox and then fouling up the stepper? (causing hanging idle)
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:05 pm

That's the first thing to check. Don't fill more that halfway between the 'Add' and 'Full' marks on the stick.

As for the gears and universals taking a pounding? Not a concern. Certainly riding a GRiSO that fast, especially with stock suspension, is hard work for the rider but the mechanicals should be fine.

Groovitz likes this post

Back to top Go down
Groovitz
Carlotto
Carlotto
Groovitz

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:56 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
The GRiSO is not a RBW machine. Hanging throttle will most likely be either a gummy stepper motor or more likely simply that the bike is incorrectly tuned. Check the air bleeds. Are they both open?

I will check both. The stepping motor controls exactly what???
Back to top Go down
Groovitz
Carlotto
Carlotto
Groovitz

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:00 pm

usedtobefast wrote:
Could the oil level be a bit high?  Sending extra oil into the airbox and then fouling up the stepper?  (causing hanging idle)  

Having read the problems with oil on this forum, I added exactly 3150ml on the oil & filter change (filled the filter first also).
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:23 pm

Groovitz wrote:
Pete Roper wrote:

The stepper motor controls the idle speed. You haven't felt the need to play with the throttle stop screw on the LH throttlebody have you?
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:59 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Groovitz wrote:
Pete Roper wrote:

The stepper motor controls the idle speed. You haven't felt the need to play with the throttle stop screw on the LH throttlebody have you?

Sacré Bleu... or should I say Sacré Screw? Ooh La La

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:50 pm

This is what I fear.
Back to top Go down
Groovitz
Carlotto
Carlotto
Groovitz

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:05 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Groovitz wrote:
Pete Roper wrote:

I have not touched any adjustments on the throttle side of things at all. And I have not had time to fiddle with it either coz I'm 600 miles from home and "Murphy" has this Law I don't care to get involved with right now. I plan on buying the TB Balance tool when I get back home and see how that works out. The 'Hung Throttle' is a little annoying. Comes back down to idle with a few revs. NOT like the Aprilia that REALLY hangs up there and makes for some SCARY shyte!!! 2500 miles in ten days on the girl! Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:11 pm

To balance the TB's you need a manometer and Guzzidiag or equivalent. You have to have the means to re-set the TPS after the TB's are balanced. There are several write ups here on the procedure but be aware you must NOT under any circumstances move the throttle stop screws for any reason. Ensure that they are bot still sealed with yellow paint, (It's usually the left hand one that gets messed with. The right is much harder to get to.). Likewise the linkage rod ball joints should have their locknuts sealed with paint and should never be touched. The only things on the TB's that should be touched are the air bleed screws and the high speed balance screw on the bell crank mechanism.

If you find that someone at the place you bought it off has messed with the throttle stop screw by digging the paint out and moving it do NOT move it again until you have access to Guzzidiag or another diagnostic tool and then it may be possible to salvage the situation. It depends what's been done to it.

If you're lucky it will be a simple, easily rectified, tuning issue. Let's hope.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:18 pm

Groovitz wrote:

... I'm 600 miles from home .... 2500 miles in ten days on the girl! Thumbs Up

Where are you just now?

If anywhere near Cross Junction (Winchester), Virginia, I have the TB balancing gizmo, GuzziDiag, lift, and many other tools.

That is not to say that I really know how to use any those, but if you are close enough to stop in, we can likely figure it out.   cheers

1921!

Bill

Last edited by Bill Hagan on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PJPR01 likes this post

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:36 pm

My GRiSO used to do the same thing, back when it was newer. The issue gradually happened less often, and now at 11,000 miles, it hasn't happened for a long time.

Groovitz likes this post

Back to top Go down
tgriff5747
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
tgriff5747

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:20 am

Groovitz, I'm in CT and cruise the Catskills all the time. We should hook up one of these days for a ride.

Groovitz likes this post

Back to top Go down
DH8a
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:37 pm

My 2013 1200 Sport does this intermittently also. It's not the sacred screw as that had never been touched. The TBs are balanced and I've followed the tutorials closely. 2,500km ago I had the stepper motor out to clean it. There was some oil mist in the orifices. I've just recently had the bike off the road for about 6 weeks and the problem started again - probably the most consistently that it has done so. I gave the bike a good thrashing for a couple hundred kilometres and now it is happy. This problem doesn't seem to be consistent at all when it's happening. I can only think of the stepper being a bit grubby and causing the issue. I'm very careful with my oil levels and found the right quantity to fill to. It is an annoying trait. I believe the stepper vacuum can be cut off and it fixes the problem.

Groovitz likes this post

Back to top Go down
Groovitz
Carlotto
Carlotto
Groovitz

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:14 am

tgriff5747 wrote:
Groovitz, I'm in CT and cruise the Catskills all the time. We should hook up one of these days for a ride.

I'm back in the barron, tourcherously flat & square landscape of South Florida ☹ But I'll be back in the North East in early October for some more speedy antics. Will get in touch on here. Thanks 👍
Back to top Go down
Groovitz
Carlotto
Carlotto
Groovitz

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:17 am

Bill Hagan wrote:

Groovitz wrote:

... I'm 600 miles from home .... 2500 miles in ten days on the girl! Thumbs Up

Where are you just now?

If anywhere near Cross Junction (Winchester), Virginia, I have the TB balancing gizmo, GuzziDiag, lift, and many other tools.

That is not to say that I really know how to use any those, but if you are close enough to stop in, we can likely figure it out.   cheers

1921!

Bill

Thanks for the offer Bill. I'm back in South Florida, I appreciate your helpfulness. 👍
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:51 pm

I would definitely recommend doing the Beetle map upload and do another hard ride. It's like getting a new bike! There is probably no reason it would fix the high idle problem, but it did in my case. You'll want to do it anyway, so give it a shot!
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:19 pm

It may also be mechanical, with the motorcycle off, does the throttle body return fast and hard or does it stick? Could be 2 causes...one a too tight bar end, impinging on the throttle, or you have to adjust the position of the whole throttle a bit by loosing the 2 hex screws and moving it a bit so the wires aren't "pinched". Throttle should return with a proper snap, which will also make acceleration smooth and enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First HARD Ride Report   First HARD Ride Report Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

First HARD Ride Report
Page 1 of 1