GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Ride Report - WA, ID, OR, NV, NM, TX, CA etc...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

Ride Report - WA, ID, OR, NV, NM, TX, CA etc... Empty
PostSubject: Ride Report - WA, ID, OR, NV, NM, TX, CA etc...   Ride Report - WA, ID, OR, NV, NM, TX, CA etc... Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm baaaack. I've had good intentions of contributing to the forum, but never seem to get around to it. Sorry.

Esther and I returned two weeks ago from a 5,000 mile trip through nine states where we experienced the brutal heatwave baking the entire Southwest as well as a hail storm in Sedona, Arizona that I'd just as soon not repeat. I had hoped to give you all a full report on the Pilot Road 3's, but never got to really test them in their element. I got a rear flat in Idaho dubbed the "Pocatello Puncture" which I managed to plug successfully until three days later when I ran over an invisible dagger in downtown Albuquerque (no clever name comes to mind) and due to an inch-long gash, had to replace the tire. I sure don't feel like I got my money's worth out of that one, but at least there were no crashes involved. I'm told those Pilot 3's are awesome in the rain, but I only put a couple thousand dry miles on it. Limited choices in Abq. meant replacing it with a Pilot Road 2. Again, no rain riding on it yet, but so far I have no complaints.

A couple of highlight road recommendations if you're ever traveling in the Southwest. There's a great stretch of New Mexico Highway 64 through the Carson National Forest, west of Taos. Nice twisty climb and descent, good pavement and banking and virtually deserted except for the random free-range beef. The ride changes abruptly as you reach the bottom and cross Highway 285. The desert literally starts at that intersection. Suddenly, the cool mountain pass is history and you're traversing the hot, straight, flat desert on your approach to Taos. Another great ride is through the Gila National Forest in southeastern New Mexico. The Silver Fire, just northeast of Silver City had been burning for nearly a month but had recently been brought under control and the road had been reopened. The fire had burned right up to the edge of the road and there were still fire crews throughout the area but the road was clear and well-maintained. Again, a spectacular pass I would love to ride again.

I haven't convinced Esther to get a GRiSO yet, but some of you may be interested to know that she rode her brand new 1400 California Touring bike on this trip and loves it. She's only had it a month and it's already got 6,000 miles on it. She still can't keep up with me in the twisties, but she's usually in view the rest of the time and that makes me feel good. She had a great trip, felt comfortable on the big bike and her confidence has taken a big leap forward.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
GNORTS
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
GNORTS

PostSubject: Re: Ride Report - WA, ID, OR, NV, NM, TX, CA etc...   Ride Report - WA, ID, OR, NV, NM, TX, CA etc... Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:44 am

Pete, sorry to hear about your tire mishaps. I had PR2's on my ST1300, and liked them fine. Glad you and Esther had good times - I've ridden those roads around Taos, and you're right, there's some great riding in that area. Glad you two are home safe! Heather and I are presently in Angels Camp, CA - spent yesterday in Yosemite - on 4 wheels this time, our Sprinter Westfalia, "Ludwig." Thank goodness for air conditioning. It's been HOT!
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Ride Report - WA, ID, OR, NV, NM, TX, CA etc...   Ride Report - WA, ID, OR, NV, NM, TX, CA etc... Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:41 am

Great stuff Pete, I added your photos and moved this over to the ride report section. Plague on those invisible daggers!!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ride Report - WA, ID, OR, NV, NM, TX, CA etc...   Ride Report - WA, ID, OR, NV, NM, TX, CA etc... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Ride Report - WA, ID, OR, NV, NM, TX, CA etc...
Page 1 of 1