GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Empty
PostSubject: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:57 pm

I'm looking at ways to monitor the oil temperature.
I like the look of these, they're flush mount so not too "in your face"
and they work off a fin mounted sensor so no breaking into the oil lines required.
Anyone fitted one ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Easy to read LCD display and an ultra-thin design.
The LCD display lets you to easily view all gauge readings regardless of the angle or lighting conditions.
Panel mount for easy install in a dash or instrument panel
Customizable warnings and maintenance reminders with flash alert service alarms
Functions on key switch for external power if internal battery dies
-40°-300°C/575°F
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:32 pm

No, not seen before Evans. Some here use a dipstick mounted gauge, they will probably chime in eventually.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:45 pm

I had one for a while. The fin or cylinder head temperature isn't equivalent to the oil temperature. The front and rear fin temperature can be quite different as well, so be mindful of where you install the sensor. I used the CHT sensor attached to the M6 screw on the tank of the right cylinder head.

I now use a Koso gauge with an oil sensor in the cooler line, but that was quite easy after I installed the thermostat.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:39 pm

Do you have a picture of where you installed the screw in sensor.

Temperature Sensor: 1 8th x 28 BSPP Probe Sensor, 900mm Long

I was aware that it was an option but not that there was somewhere I could use it
without drilling and tapping into an oilway.  Thanks  Evans
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:41 pm

Not the screw in sensor. This one.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:55 pm

Thanks for that.

As I'm digging further into these I've found that they have screw in sensors with metric threads
and adaptors to screw them into the sump drain plug.

Since the GRiSO drain plug is horizontal and at the back of the sump this is a possibility.
Having the sensor in the oil in the sump would be good.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:16 pm

That’s a sensible location.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:20 pm

I have the dipstick temp gauge. Can’t read it when riding (obviously) unless you’re some bizarre contortionist with a death wish, but at standstill you can read it if you lean down far enough. I’ve found it really doesn’t vary a massive amount once the bike is warmed up. City riding or spirited sprints through the hills will have it around 120 degrees Celsius. Have had it around 130C a few times. Highway cruising in cooler conditions will drop it a bit to around 100C. That said, I rarely ride in wet and cold conditions voluntarily at least, so I’d imagine winter riding would affect those figures a bit.

Personally, I wouldn’t go to great lengths to fashion a temp monitoring feature, as it’s really a bit academic. You’ll be mesmerised by it for the first half an hour, and probably crash into the back of a truck because you weren’t watching the road. After that, you’ll quickly get an accurate idea of where the temp tends to settle for most conditions, and then you’ll never look at it again. Bit like an oil pressure gauge in a car. Engine goes bang first, then people look at the gauge wondering why it’s reading zero. Never the other way around!
Back to top Go down
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:48 am

Pete has suggested that a baffle is one way to regulate the temperature.

Looking at the bike an adjustable baffle on the intake side, that works in the same way as a venetian blind seems to be the way to go to be able to open it fully when no restriction is needed.

As you write, normally you wouldn't look at the gauge but riding in the wet in Winter you could see if it was getting too cool and use the baffle to control the oil temperature.

We've got another 4 months of good riding weather here. I'm just doing homework for tasks I'll tackle
during the Winter.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:23 am

Guzzi-diag shows an engine temperature.. where is that read from? .... and can it be displayed?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:46 pm

Engine temperature sensor is on the right cylinder, under the tank. It’s not very accurate, as it suffers from air cooling as well.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:49 pm

In its use, it's not really a temperature sensor per se. What it tells the ECU is that the head is sufficiently hot enough to forego the warm up processes i.e. the engine is up to temperature, no more "choke" or manipulations due to being cold. After that, the ECU doesn't care.

The actual mounting of this sensor is pretty ordinary anyway, with the sensor screwed into the head but not contacting it properly. So the temperature is an "about" reading, not at all meant to be accurate.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:18 pm

Thanks guys -It was just a thought
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:17 pm

I’ve also got one of those MG Cycle adjustable oil cooler covers. The standard plastic cover had warped terribly, and I was attracted by the idea of the sliding vent arrangement wherein the theory is that it can be opened and closed depending on conditions. Does it work? Err, umm, I’m not entirely sure.

The problem, in my mind, with the adjustable cover is that the venting adjusters are on the exit side of the cooler (the bit you see from the side). There’s nothing stopping the air ram effect from the front. Also, even with the vents fully closed, the moulding of the cover means that it isn’t flush with the oil cooler itself, so air can pass through in between the cover and the cooler fins. I think this was done on purpose, as if it allowed airflow to be cut entirely, it would be a certainty that folks would shut the vents, forget about it, and ride off into the backblocks of Arizona or wherever then cry about why their engine is a melted puddle of liquid metal on the ground.

To the above point, I would be very careful indeed in fashioning anything that can cut off the air supply to the cooler entirely, unless you live in the Arctic circle. The Guzzi V-twin is a big engine, with no water cooling to fall back on. If you block the cooler and neglect to monitor it very closely indeed, one hot day stuck in peak hour traffic and that expensive synthetic oil will smell like the local fish & chip shop deep fryer. Just be careful, that’s all I’m saying.

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:34 pm

Tony, the ECU never ignores the ETS. There is, within the plethora of correction table’s infesting the map, the “Fuel-Engine-Temperature” correction table. It plays a rather important role in fuel control. You may have espied it while perusing the innards of your map.

The best and proper solution to the 8V cooling dilemma, is a thermostatically controlled oil feed to the cooler.

Cool

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:30 pm

Mark, I might be wrong, but isn't that temperature the air temperature as sits on the airbox? Yes I have looked at this map often.

My understanding is that when the warmup is done (and the engine - aka the R/H head in my case), it reverts to the air temperature for the Fuel-Engine-Temperature mapping corrections. But then again, I was wrong once - ever since I was born - at least it's only once in my life!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:03 pm

No, the intake air temperature (sensor) is used by the Pressure-Air-Temperature correction table. The Fuel-Engine-Temperature correction table uses the ETS, as does the Warmup table.

In GRiSO we trust!

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:17 pm

Learn something new every day. Thanks Mark.
Back to top Go down
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:52 am

There is no question in my mind that Marks solution of fitting a thermostatically controlled oil feed
is the best solution. Unfortunately it's not cheap and requires an amount of modification to achieve.

A dash mounted oil temperature gauge and adjustable vent in the intake side of the oil cooler seems to me the next best option.
As mentioned above you would need to keep your eye on it when you were restricting the flow.
By using adjustable vanes working the same way as venetian blinds when fully
open there would be no more restriction than with the standard version

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:19 pm

I considered a similar system with a thermostatically controlled motor. I decided after several months of brain-wracking and fiddling with vents that the thermostat in the cooler lines, while more expensive, was simpler to implement and could be tastefully hidden.

The oil cooler is so efficient that I've witnessed a 10 degree drop in engine temperature within a minute of removing the thing blocking the vent. In my case, it was typically a piece of cardboard.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:38 pm

Yes I'm coming round to the realization that the thermostat in the cooler lines is the way I'll go.

Being a 70 year old, old fart it takes a while for me to get my head around a problem.

If I didn't have the funds I'd look at the trailtech temperature meter with the screw in sensor in a modified sump plug. I'd make a venetian blind style vent on the inlet side but with some vanes fixed so that the air flow was never completely cut off.

What has tipped the balance for me is the realization that I won't need the temperature gauge with the thermostatically controlled unit. Since it is automatically controlled I don't need to monitor it.

Many thanks to Mark for working out the thermostatically controlled solution in the first place.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:34 pm

My thermostat solution was so expensive because I kept changing stuff as I went along. It was a bit haphazard. However, depending on which particular thermostat you choose, it's still going to cost in the range of $500, I reckon.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:54 am

Mark -
was there a post where you described the engineering required for the bypass thermostat?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:44 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?   Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Trailtech temperature meter any one fitted one ?
Page 1 of 1