GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO in the hand is worth..

Go down 
+11
BrandX
Nobleswood
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
Steak
sideshowbob
Pete Roper
Dilliw
ratso88
JohnA
SMTCapeCod
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Empty
PostSubject: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:04 pm

Alright, thanks for all the great information hosted on this forum, that helped me to get a handle on what to look for in a GRiSO, as well as make up my mind that it might be a good choice for a next/additional bike.
I started riding just a few years ago, when parking constraints at work made that my only option.  So started riding year-round in the U.S. mid-Atlantic area (where I see the ghetto is closed)..   My fist bike was/is a '06 Victory Vegas 1600cc.  I did quite a bit of work to that, and dealt with the lack of options for proficient, professional work on it- and that was before Polaris scuttled Victory in favor of Indian.
The Vic was/is a bit of a sled, and no ABS/TC which I saw as a commuting advantage, so I got a V7 III based largely on style and value-proposition.  Did a fair bit of work to that too, but it proved to be a gateway back to a larger displacement bike differently configured- hence the GRiSO.  Selected this particular one for a number of reasons- offseason pricing, lots of extras (heated grips, bags, bars, levers, pegs, Matris front and rear, headers/muffler, etc), demonstrated service history.  Just rolled off the West->East transport in between two ice storms.  6K miles. Already swapped the 'custom' seat for a Corbin..yup needs washer for the latch post.  Worst 'pooch' that I've found so far are rounded riser bolts. And so now I probably have another challenge with lack of nearby highly regarded service shops. Luckily some local owners/experts have already piped up. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by SMTCapeCod on Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Oz1200Guzzi and Bill Hagan like this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:32 am

Looking good! Except for the handle bar bolts.....
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:30 am

Nice score !  cheers

GRiSO is an easy bike to work on at home. Looks like you have some minimum amount of garage space too.

Yeah, that riser bolt be screwed. I never understand why people don't use the correct tool. It's always more of a hassle to unfuck something than it is to get the correct tool and do it right, or, take it to someone that can. Says the guy that has learned the hard way time and time again.

You should get plenty of riding for the service required. Happy Trails.
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:22 am

Cool bike! There will be a VA camp/rally at Willville (Meadows of Dan) June 25th to the 27th. They cancelled last year (a few of us showed up anyway) but should be good to go this summer. I live in Texas now but left my GRiSO in Asheville and still planning to be there.

Hagan lives in Winchester and can fix anything Guzzi related Smile Well, maybe not but he has really good hooch...

Come on down!

George

Bill Hagan, SMTCapeCod and Yahu like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:52 am

The stainless bolts Guzzi uses may be pretty but they are, sadly, also not very good. Even with the best tools it's possible to damage/destroy them and the threads in the risers particularly do seem to be very prone to galling up making them both hard to remove and install.

Generally you can remove them by the old trick of getting a slightly over sized for the hex torx bit and hammering it in to the deformed hex and then gradually increase the torque on it with a socket and breaker bar, (Some gentle heat may help as well but be careful of the paint/finish on the risers.

Once you have the old screws out run a tap, with some cutting fluid on it, through the threads and get some decent bolts. If you really want the pretty tapered head bolts I'm sure you could find some in Titanium that would be better and less soap like than the factory stainless items.

Note that the warning about the risers holds true for the bolts that hold them onto the top yoke as well. They too will gall up the moment you look at them given a chance. Once again running a tap through the threads is a really good idea before reinstalling the bolts from underneath the yoke.

Bill Hagan and SMTCapeCod like this post

Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:34 pm

The Torx bit is a great tip, thank you for that and for the other info!
I've been looking at a few offerings at a U.S. vendor 'probolt'. First place I happened to find that had products tagged for GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:06 pm

I have used probolt, they are very good.
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:34 am

other than the bolt issue, it looks like you got yourself a keeper!
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:53 pm

I added you to the Mid Atlantic ghetto, although it's just a bit of a vanity feature. I used to slot everyone into the appropriate sub-ghetto upon registration until that became a bit too tedious. The original idea was to foster a bit of local camaraderie, but it turns out that the sub-ghettos weren't necessary for that...

With that, I congratulate you on your new GRiSO. For those he speaks to, he grabs hold hard.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:47 pm

Steak wrote:
I added you to the Mid Atlantic ghetto, although it's just a bit of a vanity feature.

Thanks!

Steak wrote:
For those he speaks to, he grabs hold hard.
                     Shocked    

Any-way....the turn signal auto-cancel that I ordered back in December finally came in...now, which bike to put it on.
Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:16 pm

So...have this available at the bars. Is there any typical piece of kit that work with this type of connector? Also- if anyone can tell which LSL variant the bars are-- from a web search seems most likely to be 'tour'?
Lastly, the darn immobilizer light is still blinking three days in. The seller said battery was dead when the transporter picked it up...is there a typical failure that causes it to keep blinking instead of discontinuing after a period of time? or is that legend?
Thank you![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:25 pm

That's a GPS connector. It's only active when the engine is running.

The immobiliser light blinks forever and ever...until the battery goes flat. Takes about 2 or 3 months. Ride it or put it on a tender.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:27 pm

Thank you!
GPS is something that's been an impediment, as I never set up NAV support for my other bikes. Opted for one of these though, we'll see how it goes if it gets here by spring:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:47 pm

Oh no. That's done it. I clicked on that link...

The connector is for a TomTom. I snipped mine and attached an SAE connector.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:06 pm

Immobiliser light can be disabled in the dash settings - or is that only on the Sport/Norge/Breva?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:19 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Immobiliser light can be disabled in the dash settings - or is that only on the Sport/Norge/Breva?

What? Shocked Is this true?

....running to check...

Phew! I knew I wasn't crazy.

It's a big fat NO.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:42 pm

Can on mine - I have had it disabled for years!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:11 am

They probably figure nobody is interested in stealing a Sport/Norge/Breva.

Razz

In GRiSO we trust!

lcjohnny and SMTCapeCod like this post

Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:23 am

That's a good catch with the upgraded suspension. Now you have to find ' a suspension man' or some knowledgeable friends to dial it in to your requirements cheers
Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:32 am

True that^^. Know anyone?  haha.   I always always try to start with stock platform and build to suit. But in this case, looking at the $$ that had already been spent for upgrades that were almost all exactly the path I planned to walk...that was part of the impetus for making the leap. The prior owner was taller and leaner so I hear. So some adjustments are due.  Feels a bit too firm right now, I had a shop give it a once over before shipping and they might've calibrated it a bit more for 'twisties' side of things, rather than my current urbanish environment.  
Definitely find myself fishing around to find the shift lever, I'll have to check for some adjustment there asap.  Has the Knight drop pegs.
Back to top Go down
BrandX
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
BrandX

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:51 am

[quote="beetle"]
They probably figure nobody is interested in stealing a Sport/Norge/Breva.

Razz

[/qu

So true, and proves most low level criminals are not very smart.. Very Happy Probably could not even hook up Guzzidawg to a Sport/Norge/Breva. jocolor
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:44 pm

Too cruel.
Back to top Go down
BrandX
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
BrandX

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:00 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Too cruel.

My point was not smart enough to steal those great bikes.. I think my Breva is one nice motorcycle. Same goes for the Sport, and Norge.

bCraig likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:30 pm

All in jest BrandX, all in jest. You will see that on this site and we all take the piss and often. In fact I think it is a Ghetto rule: "Thou shalt take the piss on fellow Ghetto members". Especially if you know them well...
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:35 pm

Welcome to the Ghetto, CapeCod!

Pete (Street)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO in the hand is worth..   GRiSO in the hand is worth.. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO in the hand is worth..
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next