GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jlburgess
Carlotto
Carlotto
jlburgess

BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning Empty
PostSubject: BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning   BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:26 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
So I bought this about 11 years ago and had a bit over 30 K miles but I was very surprised to see this after I removed the Guzzitech retaining ring for a cleaning.  The rubber became gummy.  Back to the paper one...

Last edited by jlburgess on Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning   BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:31 pm

Yet another reason to hate the poxy things.
Back to top Go down
jlburgess
Carlotto
Carlotto
jlburgess

PostSubject: Re: BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning   BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:32 pm

Hi Pete, Long time no see!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning   BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:20 pm

Hi John. As you probably know Labyrinth type air filters like BMC's and K&N's are one of my biggest pet hates. I've seen more damage done by them, especially on V11's and CARC bikes than just about any other 'Performance' modification. The stock airbox and filter flow just fine and the air getting into the motor is actually as clean as it can be. Just say 'NO' to aftermarket air filters!
Back to top Go down
jlburgess
Carlotto
Carlotto
jlburgess

PostSubject: Re: BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning   BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:34 am

How do you feel about the open airbox ring with the paper filter? Good to hear from you again! Your advice is always appreciated and hope to cross paths again someday. Your NGK spark plug ends and Roper reflash have stood the test of time!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning   BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:43 am

There is really no advantage at all to removing the lid. There may be a slight benefit to removing the airbox snorkel, it seems to help boost the bottom end and midrange a tad but it's not earth shattering. You're still running the 68S map I installed way back when? Yes, it was a huge improvement over the original but there are far, far better options available now.

Have you rollerised your bike yet? It really does need to be done. All the flat tappet top ends fail. It's unavoidable.
Back to top Go down
jlburgess
Carlotto
Carlotto
jlburgess

PostSubject: Re: BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning   BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:22 am

Well after great fanfare and vowing never to take my bike to the nearest dealership again 3 years ago I did get rollerized for labor cost only courtesy of O.C. Motorcycles right before the factory stopped providing free retrofit kits.  Nobody but yours truly has touched the bike since then except for fork seals which seems to be the formula for success.  I added an MV Stradale to the herd too for some added entertainment. 👍

Here's ye ol GRiSO as well.  Not telling what map is in it. 😉  I even scored a NOS tail bag after the first one finally died.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Leone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning   BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:36 pm

jlburgess wrote:
. . . 3 years ago I did get rollerised for labour cost only, courtesy of O.C. Motorcycles right before the factory stopped providing free retrofit kits . . .

They did?
I thought they were still doing it, no matter what the age of the bike.

I'm sure I've heard/read of a few in the last year or so, that got the Kit provided for free.
Back to top Go down
jlburgess
Carlotto
Carlotto
jlburgess

PostSubject: Re: BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning   BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:56 pm

I hope I'm wrong. It was about $800 just in labor as I recall. A lot of shops in SoCal charge $180 per hour. Uh, yeah. 🙄

Doc. likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning   BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

BMC Air Filter Failed - Warning
Page 1 of 1