GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

oil in air box. leaking breather pipe

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Eire1400
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Eire1400

oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Empty
PostSubject: oil in air box. leaking breather pipe   oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:09 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Removed the tank last weekend just for a nose around.
Had an issue with high idling one day last week so wanted to look into airbox.
Sure enough there is oil in there. Also noticed oil around the breather box.

Is that oil leaking around breather and oil in airbox and stepper issue all related?
I can confirm the correct amount of oil is in bike ( half way up the stupid dip stick, NOT full)
Is this the hose splitting issue I have read about?

Cleaned it all up, shot carb cleaner into tbs and blanked off stepper But didn't inspect hose ends (nor did I do the stepper reset, because I blanked off both ends).

anyone else have these issues?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: oil in air box. leaking breather pipe   oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:54 am

Looks like you need to replace the condom OR fix perished pipes going into the oil catch pot up front as these shouldn't be leaking oil no matter how much oil is going through the inside of the circuit.

Also looks like the throttle bodies could do with removal and cleaning.

Yes, I've had both of these issues Wink

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
evev
Carlotto
Carlotto
evev

PostSubject: Re: oil in air box. leaking breather pipe   oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:05 am

Had it all the time till one day had enough: changed hose clamps on those hoses from oil catch pot you have on the picture ( hoses were fine) and on the cylinders' end too. Thinking of having the one, feeding oil vapours into the air box, taken off there and re-route it outside with filter at the end like most of Harleys do. You can't leave it open ended (environmentaly illegal) as besides splattering oil drops all over bike it will be sucking cold air into the sump once the engine stops creating water condensing in the sump..
There is a a deep theory though that this oil helps to lubricate pistons but on practice it just builds up as carbon deposits around valves.. whole industry of those oil vapours cans modification for cars, wonder it didn't get to the motorbikes ( except for Harleys -they had to as used to breathe those vapours directly outside.
There was a short thread somewhere here just touching this topic, mostly in negative light though
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: oil in air box. leaking breather pipe   oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:16 am

evev wrote:
Had it all the time till one day had enough: changed hose clamps on those hoses from oil catch pot you have on the picture ( hoses were fine) and on the cylinders' end too. Thinking of having the one, feeding oil vapours into the air box, taken off there and re-route it outside with filter at the end like most of Harleys do. You can't leave it open ended (environmentaly illegal) as besides splattering oil drops all over bike it will be sucking cold air into the sump once the engine stops creating water condensing in the sump..
There is a a deep theory though that this oil helps to lubricate pistons but on practice it just builds up as carbon deposits around valves.. whole industry of those oil vapours cans modification for cars, wonder it didn't get to the motorbikes ( except for Harleys -they had to as used to breathe those vapours directly outside.
There was a short thread somewhere here just touching this topic, mostly in negative light though

What on earth are you talking about??????
Back to top Go down
evev
Carlotto
Carlotto
evev

PostSubject: Re: oil in air box. leaking breather pipe   oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:52 am

Two breather pipes going from cylinders to the box he has on the picture at the top. Than there is one pipe drains collected oil back into the sump and another feeds the vapour back into airbox..
Back to top Go down
evev
Carlotto
Carlotto
evev

PostSubject: Re: oil in air box. leaking breather pipe   oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:09 am

Blow by system. Item 12 on diagram.
Back to top Go down
evev
Carlotto
Carlotto
evev

PostSubject: Re: oil in air box. leaking breather pipe   oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:15 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: oil in air box. leaking breather pipe   oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:38 am

The breather system is very simple and also effective. As long as you don't over fill the sump it works and works well.

It isn't some conspiracy by 'Emissions Regulators' to spoil your fun.

If you run the breather vent directly to atmosphere, (Through some sort of filter or directly to the outside world.) you achieve absolutely nothing apart from pollution. No power gain, no reliability or longevity advantage, you just end up adding more crap into the world.

Also can you illuminate me as to this 'Deep Theory' about piston lubrication? What in the name of screaming fuck is that about? Do you have even the faintest idea about how bore lubrication works? Does the author of this 'Deep Theory' have any explanation about the purpose and operation of an inverted taper faced semi scraper ring under the top compression ring that's main purpose is to assist in the prevention of oil from the maelstrom of gasses in the crankcase that have circumvented the oil control ring getting into the upper bore?

This 'Theory' sounds like the Q-anon of internal combustion engine theory! I sincerely hope it doesn't gain any traction!

The bike originally referenced has a leaky breather hose and condom. It would seem that the original oetiker clamp on the breather has been removed and replaced with a screw type hose clamp, this won't of helped. Replacing the hoses and condom and ensuring that the oil is NEVER filled above half way up the stick will make the problem disappear and will ensure that the breather system can continue to do its small and utterly performance neutral part of making the engine run as it should.

Sorry, you're getting into tinfoil hat territory now. Go and do some learning' rather than a few hours reading shit off the Internet.

paulbrice, JohnA and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
evev
Carlotto
Carlotto
evev

PostSubject: Re: oil in air box. leaking breather pipe   oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:47 am

I'll pass on remarks and I know how piston lubrication works, did that study, thank you.

I just do not like oil sipping from the bottom of the air box, quite annoying. the drain in the air box is offset from the bottom low allowing oil to condense and slowly leak through the air box bottom seam. Just making things messy all around. Plus (can't remember exactly if it was your post) in the recent post about K&N filters usage, was mentioned the filter oil making TBs smeared in the sticky gunk - will it not be the same? (Will be Different oil though but anyway)
Will take your advice though re oil quantity  being measured more carefully. I did watch it but probably not very precisely.

As of the environment - filter on the end of the hose is allowed even by California laws which by far the most strict in the world, e.g. on sulfur content in the fuel supersede Australia by 35times. (This is not error) And oil vapour cans are "the most fantasized about things by men" acc to carexpert.com.au..😳 and it's big market there - ready to go kits for most models, I wonder they didn't make their way into motorcycle world. although he also advises "to leave the things like they are", talking about new engines though.
And speaking of really big engines which are burning 20-40tons a day blow by system vents into the air..🙁 being approved by every environmental control body in the world... Pretty sad.
Anyway that is going way sideways from original question, pls remove if not appropriate here
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: oil in air box. leaking breather pipe   oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:42 am

"I wonder they didn't make their way into motorcycle world "

That'll be part #1 in the GRiSO breather system Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
evev
Carlotto
Carlotto
evev

PostSubject: Re: oil in air box. leaking breather pipe   oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:00 am

Nah, you will need a sidecar for it..😆
Back to top Go down
Eire1400
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Eire1400

PostSubject: Re: oil in air box. leaking breather pipe   oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:53 am

Yep a bust condom . ( Still strikes fear in to me)
Cleaned area up nice, all hoses are good. Cheap part to but but 3 times the price to ship. Hate that. Any one a diy version?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: oil in air box. leaking breather pipe   oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:39 am

I just paid the postage to avoid wasting time trying to find DIY replacements....Total price is still only around €20 or £20. It's annoying but trying find the right size and especially oil service quality solution didn't yield anything (that was much cheaper OR where you can just buy one) despite people saying "you can get that kind of generic cap anywhere"

Closest I got[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Eire1400
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Eire1400

PostSubject: Re: oil in air box. leaking breather pipe   oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:57 am

Sorted. Thanks for the help as always folks.
Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: oil in air box. leaking breather pipe   oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:47 am

It's so thin you could just about cut a finger off of an exam glove and use that.
Not really, but it is a rather lame ass piece of kit. I thought of trying to use something on the exterior to better protect against abrasion, but wanted to get it reassembled.
Back to top Go down
Eire1400
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Eire1400

PostSubject: Re: oil in air box. leaking breather pipe   oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:26 pm

Ya it's not substantial at all. Limited space there to bodge something up. I had a look around work for something that would do the job. But for 18 euro got the original and can forget about it for another 12 years!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oil in air box. leaking breather pipe   oil in air box. leaking breather pipe Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

oil in air box. leaking breather pipe
Page 1 of 1