GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

ok to reuse head gasket?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jg213
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jg213

ok to reuse head gasket? Empty
PostSubject: ok to reuse head gasket?   ok to reuse head gasket? Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:16 pm

I'm reassembling right side cylinder with a used head.

Reading online that you should never reuse cylinder head gasket (except maybe if it's copper type).
However my original one measures .041" thick, and that is the same spec as replacement one.
Guessing I shouldn't skimp here...

On an unrelated note engine didn't have exhaust gaskets mounted. Should I get a set of these for better seal?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: ok to reuse head gasket?   ok to reuse head gasket? Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:48 pm

Being metal they can be reused with a coating of coppaslip or similar on both sides. Being metal, they don't compress either - well not enough to be noticeable in our applications. If in doubt replace it but keep the old one as a spare. Make sure it is squeaky clean before spraying...

You might find the exhaust gaskets are so compressed to be nearly undetectable. A scriber may loosen them and you can put in a new pair.
Back to top Go down
jg213
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jg213

PostSubject: Re: ok to reuse head gasket?   ok to reuse head gasket? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:29 pm

Looks like it's the coating that's key to head gasket seal. And good flat mating surfaces.

This gasket looks like new. No coating stuck to mating surfaces. Maybe would work better without copper spray? Or just spray it for insurance?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: ok to reuse head gasket?   ok to reuse head gasket? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:07 pm

Use Coppercote but make sure the gasket is wiped really clean and also be prepared to have to repeat the whole procedure if it doesn't work. Remember the real problem won't be oil leaks but gas leaks from the cylinder/combustion chamber into the crankcase and while at first these will probably be close to unnoticeable as the gasket erodes around the heat path it can fail suddenly. The result of that can be sudden loss of enough oil to destroy the motor.

Is that likely? No. Is it a possibility? Yes. I have done it on one of my engines once with no problems but it isn't something I would recommend.
Back to top Go down
jg213
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jg213

PostSubject: Re: ok to reuse head gasket?   ok to reuse head gasket? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:29 pm

I'll play it safe and just replace gasket. Now, in this case no copper spray, right?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: ok to reuse head gasket?   ok to reuse head gasket? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:45 pm

We usually coppercote them.
Back to top Go down
erclig
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
erclig

PostSubject: Re: ok to reuse head gasket?   ok to reuse head gasket? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:18 am

Hey Pete. Stupid question, do you mean coppercote anti sieze or copper coat gasket spray?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: ok to reuse head gasket?   ok to reuse head gasket? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:45 am

Gasket spray- Coppacote.

Anti seize- Coppaslip.

cheers

erclig likes this post

Back to top Go down
jg213
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jg213

PostSubject: Re: ok to reuse head gasket?   ok to reuse head gasket? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:40 am

Thanks for info guys
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ok to reuse head gasket?   ok to reuse head gasket? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

ok to reuse head gasket?
Page 1 of 1