GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Rear shock access question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Rear shock access question Empty
PostSubject: Rear shock access question   Rear shock access question Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:56 am

I need to play around with spring rates on my Stelvio shock
11 Kg/mm is too low so i want to try 12 Kg/mm and then as the preload adjuster is broken i want to try various spacers under the spring to set ride height.

So what is the easiest way to get the shock in and out??

so far i have used the 'remove: pork chops, wheel, bevel box, suspension links & swing arm route' is there an easier way?

Jon
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock access question   Rear shock access question Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:19 am

I removed the right pork chop to get to the top bolt and the left pork chop to remove the stock unit and insert the Stelvio unit.
Apart from undoing the bottom linkages, that was all I needed to undo/remove.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock access question   Rear shock access question Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:51 am

Defo not from above (I've done both) due to potential to damage wiring & air inlet rubber bits. I remove rear wheel to allow more movement of swing arm, exhaust and probably the LHS porkchop but only loosen it if I remember right. Would never remove bevel box for this job.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock access question   Rear shock access question Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:20 pm

lcjohnny wrote:
then as the preload adjuster is broken

I would remove the pre load adjuster, its a unit. Looks to be mechanical not hydraulic.
Probably an offset cog arrangment maybe. Strip it see if its serviceable. if its doing nothing why not.

Am 107kilos 17stone, I moved my rear shock 2inches total sag and adjusted about just under a centimeter to get it to 1'' 1/2 of sag.
If you bought same spring it is likely as you weigh less it might well be spot on with no adjustments or spacers.

This is one I bought from demon tweaks £37 delivered. (12.5kg/mm)
Exact one I've listed in the picture.
They leave out the last bit but you can verify on faulkners website as I did or check picture below, dont buy from them though as works out much more expensive as their shipping is massive.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Buellbloke on Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock access question   Rear shock access question Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:04 am

The preload adjuster is hydraulic, the oil filler is the sacred behind the adjuster block. Unfortunately mine leaks all the oil straightaway. Haven't found any spare

Buellbloke likes this post

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock access question   Rear shock access question Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:11 am

lcjohnny wrote:
The preload adjuster is hydraulic, the oil filler is the sacred behind the adjuster block. Unfortunately mine leaks all the oil straightaway. Haven't found any spare

Oh well least you tried, no seal you can replace?
Was the shock spring info any use?
Thats how much I loaded it up to get the extra inch of sag off.
In the picture it shows some spring centralisation spacer things, one of them suit me if spring pre load adjuster failed.
No mention of them or listed that I can find.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock access question   Rear shock access question Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:35 am

A bit Smile sadly i got my spring from Faulkners not realising DT was so much cheaper.

Didn't really understand your sag figures, i had fractions of inches 'beaten' out of me in the 1970s when i worked as a motorcycle mechanic (on Triumphs!!)

I am aiming for 10mm bike-only-sag and 35- 40mm with-rider-sag. Starting with a 3mm preload spacer.
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock access question   Rear shock access question Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:58 am

lcjohnny wrote:
A bit Smile sadly i got my spring from Faulkners not realising DT was so much cheaper.

Didn't really understand your sag figures, i had fractions of inches 'beaten' out of me in the 1970s when i worked as a motorcycle mechanic (on Triumphs!!)

I am aiming for 10mm bike-only-sag  and 35- 40mm with-rider-sag. Starting with a 3mm preload spacer.

Yea I hit faulkners as seemed cheaper until seen postage, they is engineers without demon tweaks postal clout.

Paulbrice taught me about the shocks, the rest I scraped together from the ghetto over matris shocks.
Think you mentioned the puny springs on the older non NTX shocks.
35mm - 37.5 if want to be pedantic max sag with rider is what you want thats 1'' 1/2 on the rear.
I wouldnt worry about what the bike is doing when your not on it.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock access question   Rear shock access question Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:19 pm

I am 106Kg in riding gear and a 12 Kg/mm spring on the Stelvio shock is spot on.

The 11 Kg/mm was too soft for my weight but if there are any slim people on GRiSO in UK make me an offer.

@Buellbloke - where did you get those spring centralisation washers

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock access question   Rear shock access question Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:38 am

lcjohnny wrote:
I am 106Kg in riding gear and a 12 Kg/mm spring on the Stelvio shock is spot on.

The 11 Kg/mm was too soft for my weight but if there are any slim people on GRiSO in UK make me an offer.

@Buellbloke - where did you get those spring centralisation washers

You fat bastard just shy of my weight Laughing Actually am tall with a pot belly not really fat just a big c*nt Laughing
Um you lost me what spring centralisation washers?, there's pictures of them on demon tweaks website I thought you could use as spacers for your 11kg spring.
Otherwise spring goes straight on in place of original.
Personally think bike rides like it did, just not that harsh bottoming out ride, still on the firm side.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock access question   Rear shock access question Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Rear shock access question
Page 1 of 1