GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Muddy
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Muddy

Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Empty
PostSubject: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:58 pm

Hi all,

I am 7 weeks into the GRiSO journey after picking up a low km 2016 SE in mid-June. So far, I have spent most of my time pursuing this and other Guzzi forums to obtain tips on getting the bike set up. Suffice to say the bike and I are still very much getting to know each other. The bike is a one owner Red Devil, running Termignoni (db killer in) with 14,000km when I picked it up. It has service history and had just been serviced at a Gold Coast dealer 2 weeks prior to my purchase. On the ride home from the Gold Coast to Byron, I was surprised how difficult the bike was to ride smoothly, particularly at lower speeds. Like a lot of owners, my first port of call was to install beetle's map (thanks Beetle!) to sort out the woeful factory mapping. This made a big difference and has made the GRiSO much more ride-able. However, the very clunky gear change is really making the bike difficult to enjoy. Based on scouring the forums, this is not a common problem, so I feel this may be a problem with my bike.

Changes from 1st to 2nd are generally OK, but 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th are almost impossible to get smooth. 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th are better and can be smooth if timed well. Downshifts are better, but again timing has to be spot on, or a very unpleasant "clunk" will greet you. I have adjusted throttle cables to ensure a minor amount of freeplay, but no help there. TPS was reset when I installed Beetle's map and bike idles just under 1200rpm. Clutch disengages about a third of the pull in, and shows no signs of dragging, with neutral easy to select at a standstill. Gearbox oil is full. I have done around 2000km on the bike since purchase.

I have been riding for over 30 years, and have owned and/or still own Ducati 900SS bevel, Triumph Thruxton, Tonti Guzzi 1000, Cagiva Raptor 1000, Triumph Thunderbird et al. I took the 30 year old Tonti out on the weekend and revelled in the "smooth and slick" gearbox it has in comparison to the GRiSO! That really tells you something. Wink

I really love the engine and I really want to like this bike, but the enjoyment is being seriously impacted by the gear change. I would appreciate any advice from the fine folks on this forum to help me address this problem. Thanks all in advance!

Svartipants likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:40 am

Could be clutch related but the fact it selects gears easily at a standstill tends to give lie to that. Where are you exactly? I'm going to be going to Taree on Wednesday to pick up the wreck I've just bought. If you're close by I could meet up and have a squizz.
Back to top Go down
Muddy
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Muddy

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:00 am

Hi Pete, such a generous offer! Thanks so much, but I am in Byron Shire, about 4 hours north of Taree. Do you think it could be something stupid like the dealer putting the wrong grade of oil in the gearbox? I was going to try that (gearbox oil change) next.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:24 am

No, in all honesty I don't think it's likely to be the oil. The gearbox only takes 500ml though so drop it out and stick some 75/90 in if you want. It's scarcely a huge expense.

Without seeing it I can't really offer an opinion. Perhaps when it warms up a bit you could bring it down and let us check it out? If it hasn't been done yet it needs the shock linkage and swingarm bearings greasing anyway. We could check the tune at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Muddy
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Muddy

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:24 am

Thanks Pete for your responses. I'll need to work on the logistics of getting down there. Good luck with the pick up tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:24 am

You mentioned that it is idling a bit low? That is concerning. The last place that worked on it hasn't messed about with the throttle stop screw on the LH TB have they? It should be sealed with paint. If the paint has been dug out and you can see the 2.5/3mm allen key hex this probably doesn't bode well.

Sadly there are many shops, including Guzzi dealers, who have no idea of how to tune a W5AM Guzzi.
Back to top Go down
Muddy
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Muddy

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:06 pm

This one Pete?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Assuming this is factory, I'll connect Guzzi Diag to get a more accurate idle rpm in case the tacho is slightly out. It was only a tad under 1200rpm on the tacho.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:44 pm

Welcome to the Ghetto, Muddy!

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Muddy
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Muddy

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:58 pm

Thanks Street!
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:31 am

Welcome to the Ghetto
Muddy
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:27 am

Muddy wrote:
This one Pete?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Assuming this is factory, I'll connect Guzzi Diag to get a more accurate idle rpm in case the tacho is slightly out. It was only a tad under 1200rpm on the tacho.

Thanks

Using Guzzidiag will not allow you to change the target idle in any way. That remains at 1,250 +/- 50RPM. If you are using an open loop map you can use the CO trim adjustment to make small changes by either enrichening or leaning out the mixture but remember that the change in injector pulse width is the same throughout all throttle openings so fuel economy and engine behaviour will be impacted of large changes in trim are applied.

Right now my suggestion would be to check, but not recalibrate, the TPS. If the balance is OK-ish but the TPS value is much higher or lower than 4.8 I'd think it might just be worth winding the adjuster in or out to the point it sits at 4.8 and then doing a proper TB balance with the bell crank screw and an air bleed. The problem is it is very easy to make things worse rather than better so great care has to be taken and notes recorded of what changes are made to the TPS value so they can be *Undone* again if it makes matters worse.

A TB balance after setting the valves is though a vital part of the tune and is, despite what some may say, ridiculously easy and simple. This whole business reeks of a bike that has been *Tuned* by a fuckwit and not knowing what said fuckwit has actually dome makes it very difficult to give definitive advice.

Oh and yes. That is the no-touch throttle stop screw. It's hard to tell if it's been buggered about with or not....
Back to top Go down
Muddy
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Muddy

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:42 pm

Hi Pete, I'll PM you re the logistics and timing to get the bike down to your place. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:24 am

No worries. I'm just hoping the KTM shop hasn't done something stupid
Back to top Go down
BowraBoy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BowraBoy

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:59 pm

Welcome aboard mate!
Back to top Go down
Muddy
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Muddy

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:49 am

Thanks mate! Hopefully I can get my bike sorted and enjoy riding it. Not much fun atm Smile
Back to top Go down
Muddy
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Muddy

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:01 am

Hi All,

I thought I would round out this story for anyone who may be interested. I sent my bike down to Pete and Michael to give it a full check and service. Even though this bike a full service history, including a scheduled service only 9 weeks before I sent it down (from a well-known bike dealer), Pete said it looked as though the bike had never been serviced. I suspect they change the engine oil, stamp the service book and charge the customer the scheduled fee. So, 3 weeks ago after Pete and Michael had finished with it, I rode it back to my home in Bangalow (around 1000kms). It's like I have new bike now. I suspect the main issue with the clunky gear change was the throttle cable adjustment. The bike now instantly drops revs between change-ups allowing me smooth up-shifts. I think there was a slight delay previously meaning the revs were hanging for an extra split-second, making it incredibly difficult to time the changes. Happy camper now with only some pre-ignition under load to sort out, hopefully via a map tweak.

Thanks Pete and Michael!

beetle and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:07 am

Unlikely to be pre-ignition. More likeLy detonation. When does it occur! What throttle opening, load and engine speed?
Back to top Go down
Muddy
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Muddy

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:16 am

Hi Pete, what is the difference between pre-ignition and detonation? It occurs when fully warm at anything over about half throttle. I have had it as high as 4200rpm. If I stop for say 15-20mins, it will be fine until about 15mins running when it rears it head again. This is in daytime temps in the low 20s and running 98 premium. I just dropped a note to Mark on whether this can be solved via a tweaked map. Pretty sure I mentioned this when we spoke a couple of weeks ago. Apart from that, the bike is great.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:48 am

Pre ignition and detonation are two completely different phenomena. It's always a huge screaming red flag when you read something from a so called 'Expert' who uses the term 'Pre-detonation'.

I've got to do supper and move Jude about, (She had leg op last week and is 'Hors de Combat' at the moment.) but I'll explain a bit later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW   Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Hi all.......New GRiSO owner from Northern Rivers, NSW
Page 1 of 1