GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rolf Halvorsen
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Rolf Halvorsen

New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine Empty
PostSubject: New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine   New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:53 am

Pete has a long time informed us about a potential internal loss of oil pressure - due to blown paper gaskets on the top side of the intermediate ring above the bottom basket.

The original gasket is made of standard gasket paper quality.

Due to a wrong conical entrance on the bottom part of the engine block - the area were the gasket should rest is drasticly reduced.

In about 2016, the factory precented a reinforced new gaskets for the 1400 models. On the labels for these gaskets it is aso printed that they will work for the 1200 8V engines.

And you know what: After stydying the drawings for the 1400 engines - they even do not need these reinforced gaskets. A simple paper gasket is enough due to no sealing against oil pressure.

So my guess is that the factory has hidden this crutial information that the 1200 8V engines all should have this new gasket, but they have not to my knowlegde informed our comunity of this.

The new reinforced gasket has article No: B063861

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rolf Halvorsen
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Rolf Halvorsen

PostSubject: Re: New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine   New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:58 am

I think comments is not needed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][

This is in my oppinion the wrong conical design.

Bill Hagan and Speedfrog like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine   New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:58 pm

I can't see any reason the later gasket wouldn't work. It would no doubt be fitted to 2015 and on Grisos as they used the 1400 sump. It's one of the coated metal gaskets of the same construction as that used for the timing chest and the like so it certainly won't rip like the original.

The only thing I thought might be of concern, although I'd have to be being exceptionally paranoid to allow me to use it as an excuse to prevent me using the gasket, is the possibility of reeding around the delivery gallery due to insufficient clamping force from the two miserable little 6mm bolts. I really think it's a non issue though.

So it's another option for preventing damage when the original crappy gasket blows out. As I've said before we always use the thicker aftermarket gaskets with no problems and it certainly cures the issue but the 1400 gasket is certainly a tempting option.

Bill Hagan and kindoy2 like this post

Back to top Go down
Rolf Halvorsen
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Rolf Halvorsen

PostSubject: Re: New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine   New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:38 am

Ref my statement: And you know what: After stydying the drawings for the 1400 engines - they even do not need these reinforced gaskets. A simple paper gasket is enough due to no sealing against oil pressure.

This is wrong!!!!!!!!

All 1400 engines use this new gasket between the engine and oil pump gallery. I did not see that at first glance.

Another information is that the latest 1200 8V engines (from about 2015) has the same engine block as the 1400 engines - so they are probably delivered with - will also need this new strenghtened gasket.

Sorry about my mistake.

Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine   New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:18 pm

I have decided to use this gasket now (thanks for this info Rolf).
For me this makes total sense.
The gasket has thin paper on both sides, the inner part is metal.

The inner mounting of the sumpspacer with flange (8798724) of the early models or the complete flange (B063274) of the later models is similar (4 screws M6), so I cannot imagine that there is a problem with clamping force.
I mounted the gasket with the sump spacer (with those four M6 bolts) with a very thin smear of grease, waited 24 hours and then tightened the four screws with 10 Nm. The same procedure with the sump and its 18 screws afterwards. So I needed 4 days for this ... ;-)

Bill Hagan and Speedfrog like this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.janguzzi.de/
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine   New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:47 am

circling back to this thread, I am confused just enough to have some doubts... scratch
Is there agreement that the sump gasket on 8v's from 2015 on are metal and are not subject to the same gasket failure as earlier models with sump spacers and paper gaskets?

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine   New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:43 am

Yes, the final run of GRiSO motors used the Cali 1400 sump, gaskets and oil filter/PRV mounting system and is immune from the gasket blow-out issue.

Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine   New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:40 am

thanks for the clarification Pete!
Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine   New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:10 am

I drove the first 260 Km now with that gasket in my 2011 A8 GRiSO - works fine, no leaks

Back to top Go down
Rolf Halvorsen
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Rolf Halvorsen

PostSubject: Re: New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine   New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:58 am

Jan

That is great.

I would love to get a picture up under the 1400 engine skirt. (Ha ha.)

The GRiSO 1200 8V showed a very small area for the gasket to rest on. I hope the 1400 engine has a larger area.

Rolf

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine   New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:17 am

Nah, it doesn't. It's basically the same casting. The reason it doesn't do it on the 1400's is 1.) because of the gasket type and 2.) because of the apparatus that the oil filter, OPRV, etc hang off in the sump.

Mainly I think it's the gasket.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine   New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:31 am

Great info; thanks.

I think, however, that I may have ordered too many.   Shocked

Not sure how that happened, but I better call Cadre!  Wink

Bill
Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine   New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:11 am

Bill Hagan wrote:

I think, however, that I may have ordered too many.   Shocked

Bill

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy  ... now Piaggio will have more money to develop what we really want Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine   New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New oil pressure gaskets for the 8v engine
Page 1 of 1