GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!

Go down 
+4
Evilgarfield
beetle
Pete Roper
PJPR01
8 posters
AuthorMessage
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Empty
PostSubject: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:31 pm

976376 part # is missing from both sides on my 2015 GRiSO...how could that happen??!!

I decided to check a bunch of bolts today, the exhaust manifold bolts were not tight, and even one of the studs spun out when trying to remove the nut instead of staying put.  So...I decided to pull everything off...there are NO gaskets at all...surely this is a major assembly error at the factory, or are these assembled at the dealer typically?

Ordered a couple from MG Cycle this evening, should make I reckon quite a bit of difference in noise and performance not having this minor leak on both sides that I didn't even know had existed...at night with lights off using a flashlight I can see whisps of exhaust curling out right at the header, much more on the left side than the right side...now I think I've got the explanation for why the left pipe had purpled quite a bit and much more than the left side.

Quality Control...MISSING!!  Smile
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:39 pm

Are you sure they aren't there? They compress down fairly tightly and are pretty much invisible. It is highly unlikely that the headers could be fitted without them and not have an obvious leak occur.

Steak and Bill Hagan like this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:53 pm

I've made that mistake. They compress down to virtually nothing. I was convinced I had left the right one it out at some point. I had to scrape it out.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:03 pm

Thanks Pete and Mark...honestly I looked extensively on both the engine side and exhaust side and I don't see them at all, unless they are so so thin that they are invisible, and since I have wisps of exhaust leaking out, it seems they are missing or crushed to the point of being ineffective.

At any rate, when the replacement ones come from MG, I'll know pretty quickly if that solves the issue. Thanks for the speedy replies!
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:57 am

So in the end did the new gaskets deal with the issue?
I realized that I also have a leak on the underside of the exhaust on both sides where the pipe meets the cylinder. It's not a huge leak but enough to make the flame of a candle go crazy.

I had them off when doing my swingarm service and fear that I did not put the headers back in correctly. It's kind of a pain in the ass to wiggle in correctly alone. I'll try to get help to put them back in. It's my understanding that the exhaust system should be completely airtight. Or is it normal to have minor leakage at that location?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:28 am

Airtight is better - however reality means they will probably not be perfect once removed and reinstalled without new gaskets.
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:10 am

I've noticed that my bike bogs down for a split second before revving up when rapidly twisting the throttle from idle. I realized this after remounting the exhaust...I'm not 100% sure it didn't do that before since I had the bike since a month or so but I think it didn't.
Could that be due to the exhaust leak? I checked my intake several time, no leak there.
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:11 pm

In The process of replacing my gaskets. Does this mean that I have a lean mixture? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:42 pm

Exhaust valves run very hot.
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:56 pm

Yes I understand that but never had white e valves on my previous motocycles. Ok so nothing special for a GRiSO and no need to trim my co up a bit?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:27 pm

If it's running fine with no detonation? What map are you running?
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:25 am

Bettle map with Agostini exhaust.
Running fine in general. I sometimes have the high idle issue for 5-10s but this seems to be stepper Related and the short dip in revs before catching up when I quickly open up the throttle in neutral from idle
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:38 am

Maybe check the plug colour? - that should be light tan and not as white as the exhaust valves are.

Valves being that white is possibly a hint that the exhaust valves need regrinding so they get more seat contact and lose more heat to the head.
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:59 am

Haha working on this motorcycle is like opening the pandora box. You better not open it because if you fix 1 thing and you have 10 new things that pop up Smile
It's fine though I learn a lot and I like doing it.

Oz1200Guzzi and daniel_pww like this post

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:52 pm

Modern gasoline burns a lot cleaner than the old crap that left carbon deposits. The art of plug reading has gone away, to be replaced by exhaust gas analyzers.

daniel_pww likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:30 pm

Sorry Rick but no. You can still tell an awful lot by reading the plugs.

Certainly data logging, either on the road or a dyno, will give more precise information but you can still tell an awful lot, and confirm logging results, by reading your plugs.

Gaucho likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:36 am

I agree. Plug reading provides a good indication of an overall combustion condition.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
kubbie
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kubbie

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:11 pm

My GRiSO was missing the gasket where the left header goes into the collector. Nothing in there. Just replaced the exhaust studs (one broke) and the gaskets at the head were paper thin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!   My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

My GRiSO has no Exhaust Gaskets - WTF!!!
Page 1 of 1