GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Harpers GRiSO Service Stand

Go down 
+3
rick pope
PJPR01
kidsmoke
7 posters
AuthorMessage
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Empty
PostSubject: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Thu May 11, 2023 9:02 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Inherited one of these with my GRiSO. Who's used one? A quick eyeball does't indicate where you actually lift from? That post for a sump support seems...suspect. But I've got a scissor platform lift for the sump, so no matter.

Better to bin it and get the Becker?
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Thu May 11, 2023 9:23 am

You'll need some special spacers that bolt onto each side and then the stand uses those spacers as support to lift.  It's a good lift, I have one, especially useful for getting the rear tire off.  I'll see if I can get a pic of the spacers you'll need to use later today. If they didn't come with the lift, I'm sure Chuck can fab up a set for you easily enough!
Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Thu May 11, 2023 9:31 am

PJPR01 wrote:
You'll need some special spacers that bolt onto each side and then the stand uses those spacers as support to lift.  It's a good lift, I have one, especially useful for getting the rear tire off.  I'll see if I can get a pic of the spacers you'll need to use later today.  If they didn't come with the lift, I'm sure Chuck can fab up a set for you easily enough!

Brilliant! thank you. That explains alot. Simply a 'V' groove at the top of the two supports that didn't make sense for the 'slide' motion that needs to occur during pivot. I'll let Chuck know you referred him! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PJPR01 likes this post

Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Thu May 11, 2023 9:40 am

Excellent! Here's some pics of the spacers...it will be pretty clear where to bolt them onto the side...but if not, there's a video I think on Youtube that shows this pretty clearly. Enjoy the new GRiSO...it's a beauty!

Speedfrog likes this post

Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Thu May 11, 2023 10:15 am

PJPR01 wrote:
Excellent!  Here's some pics of the spacers...it will be pretty clear where to bolt them onto the side...but if not, there's a video I think on Youtube that shows this pretty clearly.  Enjoy the new GRiSO...it's a beauty!

Wow! what service. First I'll shoot this photo to the seller and see if he's got them laying around. He's already put a package together for the mail with the 2nd key and the original pegs, see if these can be added.

Can't thank you enough. Cheers!

she does make the heart race a bit, doesn't she....

beetle and PJPR01 like this post

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Fri May 12, 2023 6:59 am

There are at least two people here who installed those spools in the wrong place and so had issues lifting the bike. Myself being one.....

That stand is my go-to for servicing the bike. I was lucky to have it with me on two occasions when I had to change a tire while on a trip. Luckily, I'd hauled the bike both times so had room in the truck.

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Fri May 12, 2023 10:57 am

rick pope wrote:
There are at least two people here who installed those spools in the wrong place and so had issues lifting the bike. Myself being one.....

That stand is my go-to for servicing the bike.  I was lucky to have it with me on two occasions when I had to change a tire while on a trip.  Luckily, I'd hauled the bike both times so had room in the truck.

well then, I’m glad I raised the issue. Can you take a photo of the foot peg area and point out which hole you used? Looking at it last night I assume I’m going to replace some existing hardware altogether in order to introduce the spool
Back to top Go down
archercc
Carlotto
Carlotto
archercc

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Fri May 12, 2023 1:50 pm

Got you, its currently in use while I await parts to make my sparkplugs

It should also come with this post, which im misusing at the moment but the idea is it lines up with the smooth circle on the oil pan to elevate the front to get the front wheel/forks/etc off.
Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Fri May 12, 2023 1:59 pm

archercc wrote:
Got you

Brilliant. THANK YOU!

So, last question, since these substitute for the cap screws to the frame, do you simple leave them in place, or swap out those bolts for service? If left mounted, then he probably sold them with his previous GRiSO, for which he bought the lift.

Yes, I did recieve the support post.
Back to top Go down
archercc
Carlotto
Carlotto
archercc

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Fri May 12, 2023 2:41 pm

Ive never taken them off. They are basically swingarm spools, Im sure you could find one of those to fit, just gotta get the longer, high quality, hardware

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Fri May 12, 2023 2:52 pm

archercc wrote:
Ive never taken them off.  They are basically swingarm spools, Im sure you could find one of those to fit, just gotta get the longer, high quality, hardware

Right. The photo above appears to have a shoulder matching the cap screw head to fit that recess. Makes perfect sense. From this I can get thread pitch and diameter, and get something made.

I did reach out to Harpers, but haven't heard back, which is shocking, I tell Ya....

PJPR01 likes this post

Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Fri May 12, 2023 7:26 pm

archercc wrote:
Ive never taken them off.  They are basically swingarm spools, Im sure you could find one of those to fit, just gotta get the longer, high quality, hardware

Oh nice find indeed! Lovely red ones would match my Red GRiSO...but do I really need them?
Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:01 am

Following up on this topic.

Ratso and I met up with fellow Grisosti Rick Pope for lunch. Good excusse to get a couple hundred miles in. Rick let me remove his spool and take some measurements. I got those to my machinist buddy who promptly knocked out a few sets.

Good to go. Takes a bit of practice to master the stand solo, but really is a good set up for service. Many thanks Rick! And Harper for making a good GRiSO stand.

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:20 pm

You are welcome. But, you'll find it doesn't take much of an excuse to get me to ride for lunch. Very Happy

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:06 pm

kidsmoke wrote:
Following up on this topic.

Ratso and I met up with fellow Grisosti Rick Pope for lunch. Good excusse to get a couple hundred miles in. Rick let me remove his spool and take some measurements. I got those to my machinist buddy who promptly knocked out a few sets.

It would be interesting if you could post these measurements here in case someone was interested to have some of those made...

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:04 pm

The Harper's stand would seem to be a repro, or very similar to the original 'Factory' stand which I've always thought was superior to the HB alternative. One does have to be careful engaging the stand legs with the bobbins. I managed to put a gouge in the side of my gearbox case by being a bit too, err? 'Casual' when hooking it up. Luckily I have half a dozen poxy gearboxes lying around because they never break so when I built my low ratio box I just used another set of cases and slipped that in so it all looks good as new again.

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:46 am

Speedfrog wrote:
It would be interesting if you could post these measurements here in case someone was interested to have some of those made...

not an unreasonable request.

Worth mentioning that what is 'critical' for the GRiSO application is the protrusion that fills the cavity where the cap screw head currently sits. The surface is not flush/square. This protrusion is essentially what contacts the bike and bears the weight. The overall dimensions of the rest of the spool/bobbin aren't at all critical. Just need enough land for the lift, shoulders to prevent it slipping off during lift/drop, and that both spools on the bike are the same.

Speedfrog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:18 pm

Thanks kidsmoke, that shoulder is definitely critical to a proper fitting to the GRiSO and cannot be found on off-the-shelf spools.
I currently use the Becker Technik stand, it works great and I'm quite happy with it, although it is a little fussy attaching it to the bike and so, not as quick and simple as a spool stand.
I also have a factory MG stand for the V11, it's very similar to that of the GRiSO - if not identical? - and I think it could be made to work with the appropriate spools installed on the GRiSO, although I haven't checked the spacing between the supporting arms yet.
One thing I like with the BT stand is its small footprint when working on the bike, especially on the lift table where there is no long arm jutting out and needing to be supported with a block of wood.
That's the reason why I got another BT stand for the V11 as well; but when you need a quick lift/support off the ground, the spool stand is quite handy.
And if you pair any stand with a front wheel chock, supporting the bike upright and lifting the rear becomes a very easy and safe operation.

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:53 pm

I have this stand and use these spools without issue.  If memory serves I did have to use different bolts.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harpers GRiSO Service Stand   Harpers GRiSO Service Stand Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Harpers GRiSO Service Stand
Page 1 of 1