GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Thanks BMW...I guess we'll see if it holds

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JonB85
Carlotto
Carlotto
JonB85

Thanks BMW...I guess we'll see if it holds Empty
PostSubject: Thanks BMW...I guess we'll see if it holds   Thanks BMW...I guess we'll see if it holds Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:08 pm

I have a 15L SW Motech Sysbag I used on my last bike. It's the perfect size to carry my laptop to work and I really wanted to keep it and find a way to mount it to the GRiSO. We all know the only other side case option is Hepco Becker but I'm not fond of the way the C-Bow racks look and the only bags they have that will fit my work laptop are huge. I didn't want to spend the money for a new set of bags nor do I want big ass cases hanging off the side of the bike especially when I don't need that much space.

So, because I'm stubborn as hell, I became determined to find some SLC carriers that could fit the Guzzi with some modification. I first tried the first gen XSR900 carriers since they mount from the bottom but the mounting plate was about an inch too short to work and also would have put the bag at a funny angle. After more scouring of the internet looking at pics of carriers, I found that the ones from the F900R also mount from the bottom. I asked a few owners on ADV rider to measure the bolt hole distance and got answers ranging from 8.5" to 8.25". I figured that was close enough and could have a welder friend modify the carrier if I couldn't bend the arm to close the gap (I couldn't).

8.25" is correct because the carrier was just every so slightly off from a perfect fit. The mounting points of the carrier also aren't quite level as one is titled every so slightly. However, I was still able to barely catch the bolt threads since the bolts have the slightest amount of play when slid through the mounting points of the carrier. The bolts that come with the kit are too long though so I found some that work in my trusty spare hardware drawer along with some spacers that allowed me to thread them. Once started, I could tighten them down without stripping out the threads!

My bag barely fit between the turn signal (which I'll be swapping anyway) and the passenger rearset. I did have to fold the peg down though to get the bag to latch securely. It seems like I have good clearance of the rear tire and hugger so I guess we'll see if this holds.

I ordered one for the left side and will get their smaller 5L bag since there's no way a larger one will clear that exhaust. Then that should give me a nice platform to throw my duffel bag across the passenger seat and lash it to the SW Motech bags and carriers

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

beetle, okuraner and Transplant like this post

Back to top Go down
okuraner
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
okuraner

PostSubject: Re: Thanks BMW...I guess we'll see if it holds   Thanks BMW...I guess we'll see if it holds Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:50 am

Nice work. Don't you think you need third attachment point?

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
JonB85
Carlotto
Carlotto
JonB85

PostSubject: Re: Thanks BMW...I guess we'll see if it holds   Thanks BMW...I guess we'll see if it holds Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:42 am

okuraner wrote:
Nice work. Don't you think you need third attachment point?

Hence the "we'll see if it holds part" Very Happy But most of the SLC carriers only use two mounting point so SW Motech seems to think it's ok. Granted, the weight limit is only like 10 pounds which I don't see myself exceeding...

okuraner likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thanks BMW...I guess we'll see if it holds   Thanks BMW...I guess we'll see if it holds Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Thanks BMW...I guess we'll see if it holds
Page 1 of 1