GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Dead GRiSO

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Dead GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Dead GRiSO   Dead GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:18 pm

It just scraped into life this afternoon, but the voltmeter was just dropping all the time, it got to 5 volts with the instruments flashing before i managed to get back to where i started, only a couple of miles. I waited 5 mins and the battery had recovered to 11.5 volts nit not enough to start it. Nothing on the instruments to say its not charging but clearly its not.

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Dead GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead GRiSO   Dead GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:27 pm

Could be a dead battery, but I would imagine one of the fuses that comes from the alternator is kaput. Either that or the alternator is on holidays.

Recharge you battery and start it - don't go for a ride - measure the voltage at the battery and it should be north of 13 volts while running. If not, start looking for the fuse(s). Download the circuit diagram and if stuck, we can assist (albeit remotely) from there.

Otherwise take it to your dealer (especially if it's under warranty)
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Dead GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead GRiSO   Dead GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:55 pm

Could also of snapped or otherwise destroyed its alternator belt. How old is it? How many miles/Km?

Pete
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Dead GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead GRiSO   Dead GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:21 pm

Pete, its only 3500 miles old. OZ1200guzzi, i will check the fuses in the morning, thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Dead GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead GRiSO   Dead GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:31 pm

Let us know what you find, or if you have more questions, ask here. We are all busting to assist in any way we can.
Back to top Go down
frypan
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
frypan

Dead GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead GRiSO   Dead GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:32 pm

Check battery connections.
I have had two similar incidents with results you are having.
On G11 Bike wouldn't start. Leave it 5 minutes voltage would go back up, dash would cycle fine then as soon as I hit starter, dead. It turned out to be corrosion on battery connector lug, between the plating and the copper. The plating lifted off to reveal a highly corroded copper lug. Cleaned the corrosion off and all was fine.
On G12 bike would not start while parked in front of coffee shop with lots of onlookers. Why not. With key on, dash cycled up fine, hit starter, dash would black out, small click at starter. Removed seat and went to check battery connection (G11 experience) when a light tug on the positive cable yielded a cable in my hand and connector still on battery. The factory crimp was done by Luigi Limpwrist.  Rolling Eyes  Both connectors got a soft solder job on them.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Dead GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead GRiSO   Dead GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Just for the record, crimping (if done right) is better as solder wicks up the cable and vibration "can" fracture the cable. Not that mine vibrates much anymore - Throttle body balance and a BeetleTech map make it the best it can be
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Dead GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead GRiSO   Dead GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:04 am

Ok so I had the leave the bike at work and come home in the car. So i have bought in some tools this morning and a charger. Took the battery off and the connections were corroded, cleaned them up and have just charged the battery for three hours. Put it all back together and the bike starts fine, but the volts continue to drop Crying or Very sad

No blown fuses either Crying or Very sad 

Thinking back to yesterday, the bike wouldn't initially start and would blank off the instruments but would at the second push, i guess i have now solved that bit but i have no charging at all, just called the dealer Crying or Very sad

Bike has now gone back three times since i have owned it, that's 2 weeks in the dealer in the first month of ownership, do i have a lemon? is that the reason it had only done 2500 in 5 years? should i cut my losses and buy something else? miserable at the moment
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

Dead GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead GRiSO   Dead GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:58 am

No. Not for a GRiSO. You will regret NOT having it more than your current irritations bother you.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Dead GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead GRiSO   Dead GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:25 am

Yes you are so right. It stopped on Thursday evening a week ago, I tried the stuff recommended and then came into work on Saturday so that the bike shop could collect. I was early and they were late, so i gave the GRiSO a clean and decided that there was no way i could get rid of it, its managed to get under my skin. This is even though i had discussed a great deal with the bike shop for a new old stock speed triple.

As i write this the bike has been taken apart, all the cabling tested, battery and alternator tested, fuse block etc. Sometimes it charges and sometimes it doesn't. Alternator has gone off to an auto electrician who have said its at 110%. The Wiring loom has also been tested as have all solenoids. They don't want to give it back until they have found the problem. They have just changed the battery and it started charging, swopped back to the original battery and it still charges!

I will check again tomorrow. But love the bike :-)
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

Dead GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead GRiSO   Dead GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:06 am

did you say "cleaning"?

That is the one thing my GRiSO is allergic too - water.
Speedo goes "Zero" and I think the water is the problem with my oil light going on.

DM
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Dead GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead GRiSO   Dead GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:30 am

I don't clean the instruments, just a polish!

As an update the shop have found nothing other than they have cleaned the battery terminals and leads, they look like new now and are taking it for a longer ride later today, with all the original bits still attached. I wonder if they have dislodged and then plugged back in the poor connection somewhere, we shall wait and see......
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Dead GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead GRiSO   Dead GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:32 pm

wooooohooooo bike is back home, lets see how it goes :-)
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

Dead GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead GRiSO   Dead GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:35 pm

"I wanna ROCK!" (yeah - Twisted Sister)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dead GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead GRiSO   Dead GRiSO Icon_minitime1