GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

This years tire question / opinion request

Go down 
+9
Tehuelche
JohnA
el capitan
Tim Henry
Converted Duc
motografando
kindoy2
JC_Guz89
Jmacs
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Jmacs
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Jmacs

This years tire question / opinion request Empty
PostSubject: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:30 pm

The age old question that can be answered many ways.  Tires.  Which is right for me?  (or least the question that seems to be asked about once a year on this forum.)

I am doing my research on tires.  Looked through the manufacturer’s websites.  Tried to narrow it down to a few choices that seem to be what I am looking for (as much as you can tell from reading the manufacturer’s tag lines).

I would appreciate any experience / opinions on any of these.

I have a 2014 GRiSO 1200SE.  I ride solo most times, occasionally 2 up.  I like the sportier side of touring, but don’t have the places around to go out and drag the foot pegs on the ground like I used to.  Doesn’t mean I won’t try to get there once in a while when the opportunity presents itself.  There is a pretty decent chance I will end up out in the rain.  Gravel / fire roads are always fair game for exploring too.  Grippy any confidence inspiring is more important than high mileage.  I don’t get the opportunities to put the miles on the bike like I want to (life, family, kids, work, house, blah, blah, blah, …).

Here are the tires I have come up with:
  • Pirelli – Angel GT II
  • Michelin – Road 6
  • Dunlop – Mutant
  • Dunlop – GPR-300 – no real reviews that I could find
  • Metzeler – RoadTec 01SE
Back to top Go down
JC_Guz89
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
JC_Guz89

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:40 am

I wouldn't bother with looking at the GPR300, I think it was more of an OE tire that people tend to replace. I don't think it's very popular.
I've recently had Dunlop Roadsmart III's fitted. They give a very neutral turn-in, no sudden tip like a full sport tire such as Pirelli. I really like these so far, but have only covered approx. 350mile so its still a bit early to tell.
You could also consider Bridgestone T32? I came from the old tried and tested Bridgestone Battlax BT023, and these are supposed to be a little more on the sportier side.
I think from your list though, the Mutant might be the best option if you sometimes ride gravel/fire roads!

Last edited by JC_Guz89 on Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kindoy2
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kindoy2

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:41 am

I just did a 7,600 mile round trip on my GRiSO on a new set of Michelin Road 6's and they were really great..and STILL look good like they have a lot left. It was about 50/50 percent on the slab and on back roads..they didnt square off bad by the time I got home and they stick excellent in the corners..some of it in the rain, confidence inspiring in some dirty spots where I got a little loose in the twisties. They cost more but imo are worth every single dime. The best tires I have run in my 50 + years of riding. Usually I can only get 4-5 k miles out of any tires and they are done.

RedMogAndy and mickfinn like this post

Back to top Go down
motografando
Carlotto
Carlotto
motografando

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:54 am

I suggest Bridgestone s22, tested on my previous bike with exceptional feeling
Otherwise contiroad/contisportattack.
Back to top Go down
https://motografando.altervista.org/
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:12 am

I am running the Road 5 in with the harder side wall and love them. Have not used the others on your list
Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:18 am

Shinko Ravens great price and value I get lots of miles (10 k miles rear) and never had a bad expierience with them
Back to top Go down
el capitan
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
el capitan

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:46 am

I bought my GRiSO 1100 with a GPR300 on the rear, just because it was the cheapest tire the previous owner could find. For a reason!
As I had great experience with it on my now sold Triumph Daytona 955i, I also swapped to Dunlop RoadSmart IV on the GRiSO and couldn´t be happier. Where the GPR lost traction at the slightest bit of dampness combined with torque, the RoadSmart sticks reassuringly, is neutral and well-handling in behaviour. At least the latest IV version is a perfect match for my GRiSO and me.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:36 am

I’ve had 2 sets of Angel GT’s - a good choice and now have the Road 6’s recommended by others but not much run time in them. Truthfully, I’m not sure I will tell a difference but I was told they will last longer than the Pirellis that would wear flat in the middle sooner.
Both are on the high end of price if you care. My much more experienced riding buddies told me the Shinko’s that Tim recommended were very good and a super price.
Back to top Go down
Tehuelche
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Tehuelche

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:30 am

I've run Road 5's and now have 6's. Very pleased.
Back to top Go down
http://www.solonmfg.com
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:44 am

Sorry to drag off topic slightly, but I recently got a tiny puncture in my tyre (only 1000Km old). I went to a shop and they plugged it with a rope from the outside. What do people think about this? Should I take the tyre elsewhere and get it removed and patched from inside or will the rope plug last? Any one have any experience with these? I have had flats before but not for a while and cannot remember how they were fixed.
Back to top Go down
Tehuelche
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Tehuelche

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:56 am

I've fixed 2 flats without dismounting, both rear tires. Both lasted until the tires were replaced due to wear. At least 3,000 miles on each patch.

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.solonmfg.com
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:57 am

Tehuelche wrote:
I've fixed 2 flats without dismounting, both rear tires. Both lasted until the tires were replaced due to wear. At least 3,000 miles on each patch.

Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Jmacs
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Jmacs

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:58 pm

Thanks to all who gave their opinion and experience. Looks like if I leave the GPR-300s off the list, I don't think I can go wrong.

Converted Duc, In a previous life, I worked at a service station and put the rope tire patches in car tires. As long as they don't go in where the tread meats the sidewall, they are fine.
Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:37 pm

Try mushroom plugs
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:16 am

I love the Metzler Roadtec01 on other motorcycles - but it was not excellent on my GRiSO and whitelined badly earlier in its life than most tyres.

I enjoyed Maxxis ST tyres 1/2 the mileage of the expensive brands at 1/2 the cost!
Back to top Go down
BowraBoy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BowraBoy

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:16 pm

I regularly get 12 - 15,000km out of Pirelli Angel GTs
Back to top Go down
Jmacs
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Jmacs

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:56 am

I ended up going with a set of the Dunlop Mutants. Something kept drawing me to them. And every review I read, people loved them. Got them on just in time to store the bike for the winter. Turns out, they don't do too well in snow. About 3/4s of the way to where I store the bike, it started snowing. I didn't want to turn back. Didn't go down, but the back end stepped out a couple of times.

We'll have to wait till next spring to see how they perform. Didn't even have enough time to get the chicken strips rubbed off the center of the tires.

JC_Guz89 likes this post

Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:15 am

kindoy2 wrote:
I just did a 7,600 mile round trip on my GRiSO on a new set of Michelin Road 6's and they were really great..and STILL look good like they have a lot left. It was about 50/50 percent on the slab and on back roads..they didnt square off bad by the time I got home and they stick excellent in the corners..some of it in the rain,  confidence inspiring in some dirty spots where I got a little loose in the twisties. They cost more but imo are worth every single dime. The best tires I have run in my 50 + years of riding. Usually I can only get 4-5 k miles out of any tires and they are done.

I think Kindoy's post covers it.

I recently put Road 5's on (couldn't find 6's at the time) Promptly put 2000 aggresive MILES (3200 KM's) on 'em much with gear, and even 20 or so on very loose gravel roads , quite by accident, and found them faultless.

5's above. 6's below. Similar. Just more of what's good on the 6

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This years tire question / opinion request   This years tire question / opinion request Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

This years tire question / opinion request
Page 1 of 1