GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Shaft 'Howl'

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wildhenry
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Wildhenry

Shaft 'Howl' Empty
PostSubject: Shaft 'Howl'   Shaft 'Howl' Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:48 am

Hi All,

Just got back from another great ride on the GRiSO!
In the few weeks I've had the bike I've clocked up nearly 1,000 miles and am now getting used to some of the quirks that gives this bike the character I love!
Today I noticed that when I decelerate I can hear a 'howling' from the shaft...is this normal or something that needs attention?
Also a more minor question .....how do you get rid of the 'misting' on the inside of the clocks?

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Wildhenry
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Shaft 'Howl' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft 'Howl'   Shaft 'Howl' Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:15 am

Wildhenry wrote:
Hi All,

Also a more minor question .....how do you get rid of the 'misting' on the inside of the clocks?

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Wildhenry

Easy................... get the hell out of the UK!!!!
I hear Spain is nice this time of year. Razz Razz
I'm joking of course.

The instrument fogging will happen in cold and rainy climate which creates condensation so geographically you're prone to that.
Some folks have been drilling small holes in the lower cluster housing but I'm not sure if this cured the problem...
I'd try some defog solution like the stuff used for the inside of a helmet visor but it's a temp fix I guess.

For your howling experience, it shouldn't make any noise.
If on decel only, it's usually the sign of bearings going tits up.
The early CARC bikes had a few problems with the end drive but it's been bullet proof since 07. See if there was a recall for your bike.
Check your fluid and see if it's not too low or/and if water got in the unit. It happens and if left alone, it will ruin your CARC.
Also, some tires are noisy but it's usually for the nobby style ones which have no business being on a GRiSO.lol
Typically though, by the time you can hear the end drive it's already too late so I hope you can dodge that bullet.
Back to top Go down
Wildhenry
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Wildhenry

Shaft 'Howl' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft 'Howl'   Shaft 'Howl' Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:53 am

Too late!!! what do you mean?
Is the CARC shaft drive F***d?
HELP!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Shaft 'Howl' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft 'Howl'   Shaft 'Howl' Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:33 am

The final drive should be effectively silent.

First, drain the oil. If its cloudy? You have a problem. Some CARC boxes seem to be more prone to water intrusion than others, it gets in through the shitty 'top hat' vent in the top of the case. If you've run for any length of time with water in the box the gears will be fucked. Nothing kills spiral bevels quicker than water.

Secondly, if the oil is clear, remove the box and make sure there is no oil leaking into the swingarm. If there is it may be that the pinion nut has loosened and stripped. One of the annoying things boat the design of the CARC bevelbox is that in the interest of cheapness they no longer use a solid spacer to set preload on the pinion bearings. If the nut loosens it will cause catastrophic damage. It is rare but it does happen.

Stop riding immediately until you find out what the problem is.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Shaft 'Howl' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft 'Howl'   Shaft 'Howl' Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:34 am

Oh, and what year is your 1100? If its a 2005/6 is it within the recal range and has the recall been carried out?
Back to top Go down
Wildhenry
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Wildhenry

Shaft 'Howl' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft 'Howl'   Shaft 'Howl' Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi Pete,
It's a 2006 and as I've only had it about 6 weeks I have no idea if the recall has been done!
I will check with the previous owner.
What is the wost case scenario?
Cheers,
Wildhenry
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Shaft 'Howl' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft 'Howl'   Shaft 'Howl' Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:04 pm

If it is eligible for the recall they were still honouring it the last time I caught one which was probably over a year ago now, (How can people own a motorbike for eight or nine years and put less than 3,000 Km on it???) but I can't see this being the case forever. If it is eligible they replace the entire bevelbox.

Usually when the big bearing starts to go you get oil leaks as the seal will fail. The problem was that the factory initially used an inferior bearing with only 17 balls and a poorly riveted cage manufactured in some country where people have bones through their noses. The balls tended to skid causing galling of the races and then the cage broke up. Usually when this occurs its obvious as bits of the cage get poked through the seal and the oil loss is immediate and huge. I haven't actually heard of one failing to the point the box seized or the wheel collapsed but once the crownwheel alignment is lost it will trash the gears in short order. If you can get your back end off the ground check for play the same way you would if you were checking the wheel bearings on a conventional bike. Any play and the bearing is fucked. To replace it you have to disassemble the box and you can examine the gears for damage when its apart.

If the problem is that the nut has come loose on the pinion you may be lucky if it is caught early enough. If the gears are undamaged, the pinion thread is still OK and the pinion bearings are still serviceable you can simply replace the nut and its lock-washer and re-torque it, use some blue Loctite and make sure the locking tab is bent up properly! Guzzi don't sell any parts for the CARC box separately except for the bearings, boots and seals but the nut and lockwasher are identical to those used to hold the crank sprocket on to the crank on an old Tonti like a T3/SP1000/MkI-V LeMans etc.

If there is damage to the gears? Sorry, you're buggered. You'll need a new crownwheel and pinion assembly which aren't cheap. I have a few spares though and could probably do one cheaper than a new one even including postage to the UK.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Wildhenry
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Wildhenry

Shaft 'Howl' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft 'Howl'   Shaft 'Howl' Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:36 pm

Thanks Pete,
This is really worrying as I was having such a great time on the GRiSO!
How much do you think it will cost me given the worst situation?

Cheers,
Wildhenry
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Shaft 'Howl' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft 'Howl'   Shaft 'Howl' Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:55 pm

As far as I know a new box, complete, is a couple of grand US. Over here they are half as much again. I have no idea of cost in the UK.

Thing is don't panic. There may be nothing wrong with the final drive box. You don't know yet. If you don't feel confident in your own abilities to tackle the problem and analyse it then take it to someone who can but if the noise is coming from the final drive it is imperative you a.) stop riding immediately and b.) address the issue ASAP as the longer you leave it the more damage is going to occur.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Wildhenry
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Wildhenry

Shaft 'Howl' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft 'Howl'   Shaft 'Howl' Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:39 pm

Just noticed today there is a slight oil leak from the shaft!
Does that indicate a buggered bearing and seal?

Cheers
W.
Back to top Go down
Wildhenry
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Wildhenry

Shaft 'Howl' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft 'Howl'   Shaft 'Howl' Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:37 am

Left the bike for 24 hours and there is no sign of any leaks at all!
Is it possible that there is no oil left to leak....surely not,the drive mech would have seized surely or am I now being paranoid?
Anyhow as suggested I will not ride the bike until I have it checked over.

Wildhenry
Back to top Go down

Shaft 'Howl' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft 'Howl'   Shaft 'Howl' Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:14 pm

The Dingo diff .......................
Pour 250ml of water under your diff and you'll get the picture of the mess your looking for.
Checking your CARC oil level is even better.

But still, don't ride it if it's been howling.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Shaft 'Howl' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft 'Howl'   Shaft 'Howl' Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Just drain the oil. Drain plug at bottom (funnily enough). It's the only way to be sure.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

Shaft 'Howl' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft 'Howl'   Shaft 'Howl' Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:48 pm

Save the oil for lab testing, just in case there are metal contaminates.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shaft 'Howl' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft 'Howl'   Shaft 'Howl' Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Shaft 'Howl'
Page 1 of 1