GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO Head Protectors

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

GRiSO Head Protectors Empty
PostSubject: GRiSO Head Protectors   GRiSO Head Protectors Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:04 pm

I often contemplate the design of the 8V tappet covers which don't allow fitment of the knuckle duster type head protectors often seen on older 2V pushrod engines.
It seems that most 8V tip overs result in tappet cover abrasions or holes, and even some head fin damage.
Crash bars are ugly and as reported on other forums, some suffer from poor fitment and ineffective crash protection.

My theory;
1. Using a damaged cylinder head as a jig, bolt down a tappet cover as per normal to prevent warping.
2. Weld four pre-drilled and tapped lugs around the out edge of the tappet cover.
3. Repaint it.
4. Laser cut or CNC a pair of cylinder head protectors to suit.

Could be done on an exchange basis by any enterprising ghetto member ..............................................

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Or even something like this from a Cali 1400
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Head Protectors   GRiSO Head Protectors Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:42 am

Yes i like the idea of the old head protectors for the 8v, does the picture you have uploaded fit them?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Head Protectors   GRiSO Head Protectors Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:52 am

Pic is just an example of the knuckle duster type for a round fin, will not fit the G.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Head Protectors   GRiSO Head Protectors Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:32 pm

This worked well for the older square fins - of course it was straight when new, but you get the idea - no welding involved, just longer bolts.

Back to top Go down
kmartin
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
kmartin

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Head Protectors   GRiSO Head Protectors Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:57 pm

I think I read about 6 years ago that the 4 valve heads are put together in a manner that makes this kind of guard dangerous. I recall that there is a good chance of inflicting additional damage beyond the cosmetic. Maybe Pete can clarify or call BS on my claim?

Keith
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Head Protectors   GRiSO Head Protectors Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:29 pm

If you're talking about a guard that attaches via the valve cover screws, then yes. You could shear the support pillars right off the cam box. Can you say 'expensive'?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Head Protectors   GRiSO Head Protectors Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:17 pm

I think the best bet is just to get an extra pair or two of the valve covers.  Cheapest way to go in the long run.  I just picked up a lightly used RH cover for $10!

Minor rash can be polished out and repainted, which is a great opportunity to get funky and try a different color scheme.

Here's a little VHT Cast Iron Metallic for ya... Thumbs Up

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Head Protectors   GRiSO Head Protectors Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO Head Protectors
Page 1 of 1