GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO Cafe Racer

Go down 
+21
Blue
little750
Andy in NZ
tocino
The Saint
damoru
LBC Tenni
Oz1200Guzzi
Guzzi Cat
beetle
Pete Roper
motomonster
DungeonMaster
keenerkeen07
plantboy
Steak
Street
Grisonut
Enzo the baker
bikesnbones
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
plantboy

GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:07 pm

I quite like the Bella but the Sportster not so much.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:23 pm

AAAHHH! Yikes, that one's been crashed bad! The cylinders got bent ninety degrees!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Street on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
damoru
Carlotto
Carlotto
damoru

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:56 pm

Look for Bellagio Jarama, if you want to see more pics:

A nice bike that can't ride so far... Spanish laws are made to restrict the mods you can do to your vehicles. If you cross the "red line"... You're f*ucked.
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:42 am

Not sure about these modern cafe racers, but originally it had nothing to do with lattes and shite. You can blame the Ton-up Boys and a place called Ace Cafe (more like a truck stop with a jukebox that played American rock n' roll music) in London, I believe. These crazy youngsters, dressed in surplus British military leather, would modify Vincents, Nortons and Triumphs to go over 100mph back in early 50's. The idea was to put a coin in the jukebox, jump on the bike and race up and down the road before the track stopped playing. No lattes and pinkies. Just nutters, the only rock n' roll playing jukebox in town, the best of British engineering (modified) and 'The Ton' (100mph).
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:26 am

With most being working-class and young and low on funds no "respectable" place would have them, but the truck stop restaurants (transport cafes to the non-Yanks) would - although they didn't trust them: one picture I've seen shows the silverware chained to the tables! The fact that these were also situated on newly built roads with no (or almost no) speed limits meant good fun trying to top the ton. Bonus fun: 6V lighting and drum brakes!
Back to top Go down
bikesnbones
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
bikesnbones

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:01 pm

The Saint wrote:
Not sure about these modern cafe racers, but originally it had nothing to do with lattes and shite.

Well there our contradicting theories on this.
I wasn't around back then, but I know a man who was, and he tells me that the term "café racers" was used to describe poseurs, who just rode their bikes to the cafés and sat around looking the part.
If you called the real ton up boys café racers, it would have been the ultimate insult, and you would have got a smack in the mouth.
I guess the hoorah henry's were as much a part of the biking culture then, just as now.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:16 pm

Saint, your dates are out by about a decade. Principle rides for young men in the 1950's in the UK were singles. The most lusted after being the BSA Gold Star. Twins were in very short supply and the majority were destined for the export market. Rationing and strict financial controls meant that only the rich and privileged could afford a 'New' vehicle in the fifties.

Things changed around the turn of the decade and it was the early 1960's when places like the 'Ace' really took off. Twin cylinder machines also became much more available on the home market and wage growth allowed them to become an attainable dream. A Vincent, which by that time were no longer being built, was always a fantasy.

The alloy tanked 'Proddie Racers with lights' were always few and far between. Most young men could hardly afford tyres and petrol. A Lyta tank was out of the question. The reality of post war Britain and the fantasies of those who wish to glamourise a lifestyle that never was are two very different things. For the great majority it was a time of hardship and grinding poverty in a country broken both spiritually and financially by the events of the Second World War. For the vast majority the establishment of universal health care and education and the replenishment of housing stocks destroyed by bombing were of far greater importance than whether you had a shiny tank and clip-ons on your motorbike.

Pete
Back to top Go down
bikesnbones
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
bikesnbones

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:57 pm

A very dismal picture of the UK painted there, most of which is bollox

Mad

The UK economy benefited from a period of rapid global economic growth, in the earlry 50's.
Overall the UK enjoyed a period of rapid growth in trade and economic growth during that time.
Our growth was so rapid, we experienced massive labour shortages – leading to the mass immigration of the 1950s and 60s to fill these shortages
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:08 pm

As for the original "café racers" I cannot speak, must admit though I have always admired their bikes, especially polished alloy tanks on Norvin's and the like. Every generation has its poseurs and wannabe Ronald McRacer (cousin to that other clown in his multi coloured suit). Somebody already mentioned, "Do these leathers match my bike"?

Brisbane's version of the Ace Café is called Maiala Café, at the top of Mt Glorious. Frequented by all things two wheeled. Most of the faces I would recognize up there are frequent flyers and grey beards. Some are on crotch rockets, most are on more conventional or even touring bikes, but follow them down the back and they move smartly. As for the younger set they all look the same, Panigale and Dianese central. But beware the short fat bloke with well worn knee sliders, some are very quick.

On Mt Mee I had two psychedelic clad clowns slowly catch me on the short straights, I saw them coming and gradually upped the pace keeping things smooth so as to not upset my passenger. Finally one guy got past on a longer straight leading into a long fast left sweeper, followed by a very tight right hander. The CBR1000RR rider was doing his best impersonation of Valentino, and I just rode around the outside of him, sitting bolt upright, two up, on a Cali Stone. The next long straight they both went past at 200+. Got to Dayboro and fuelled up at the same servo, the two clowns were discussing how fast they were, I butted in and asked, "Fast, really"?

Louise asked me why I had to pass him in a corner, and not safely in a straight line. She was a good root, but a true blonde.

But hey, we were all young once, gotta start somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:26 pm

bikesnbones wrote:

Mad

The UK economy benefited from a period of rapid global economic growth, in the earlry 50's.
Overall the UK enjoyed a period of rapid growth in trade and economic growth during that time.
Our growth was so rapid, we experienced massive labour shortages – leading to the mass immigration of the 1950s and 60s to fill these shortages

Revisionism is a wonderful thing.

I was born in 1957 and my father was one of the 'Founding Fathers' of the NHS. They were not good times, especially for those in industrial cities that had born the brunt of blitzkrieg.

The economic growth was rapid and monies made went on two things, retiring war debt and paying big dividends to shareholders while starving manufacturing of R&D funding. It's why the United Kingdom no longer has a motor industry or much manufacturing of any kind for that matter.

You may choose to see it differently. It matters not a jot to me. I got out when I could.

Pete
Back to top Go down
bikesnbones
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
bikesnbones

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:13 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
bikesnbones wrote:

Mad

Revisionism is a wonderful thing.

I was born in 1957 and my father was one of the 'Founding Fathers' of the NHS. They were not good times, especially for those in industrial cities that had born the brunt of blitzkrieg.

The economic growth was rapid and monies made went on two things, retiring war debt and paying big dividends to shareholders while starving manufacturing of R&D funding. It's why the United Kingdom no longer Hamas a motor industry or much manufacturing of any kind for that matter.

You may choose to see it differently. It matters not a jot to me. I got out when I could.

Pete

Not being able to afford the latest bikes in this context, has nothing to do with poverty, and everything to do with being young.
Yes, those young lads aspired to owning more exotic tackle, just as most of us did in our late teens, early 20's
I had to make do with a bodged together accident salvaged Honda 250N up till I was 19, that would have sat in shame alongside some of the bikes guys were riding back then when they were my age, and I'm talking about 1982, and I was working in a decent job.
It wasn't till I got into my late 20's early 30's that I could afford more serious bikes, and cars were out of the question.
How many young people do you know today who can afford the latest sports bike, or the BSA Gold Star equivalent.
You may assume young Men had to lash together home builds in their sheds because of the economic climate, whereas in fact, young people now, in terms of what they can actually afford, are no different.

Back to top Go down
bikesnbones
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
bikesnbones

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Check out this great vid
Very Happy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:20 pm

bikesnbones wrote:
Check out this great vid
Very Happy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The answer to the V7 racer. Get a Bellagio and make it a V7 racer replica.
But I can't get a Bellagio in California. Sniff.
Time to channel my inner Dr Frankenstein......... Smile

DM
Back to top Go down
bikesnbones
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
bikesnbones

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:32 pm

DungeonMaster wrote:

Perhaps what Piaggio should have done to begin with,
Back to top Go down
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
plantboy

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:19 pm

bikesnbones wrote:
DungeonMaster wrote:

Perhaps what Piaggio should have done to begin with,
Hooray, looks like somebody has figured it out and/or copied ghezzi's lead here.  But don't know if it has Bella's Matris suspenders, re-mapped engine etc, and it certainly doesn't have her ultra light CF wheels - a good, if expensive start, though.
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:47 am

Sorry Pete. But I'm not a fucking historian. Thumbs Up

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:45 am

Hey, I resemble that remark. Except I didn't want a V7 Racer replica, I built a Guzzi big block, Tonti framed, light weight, quick turning, fast stopping, orgasmic feeling machine with some retro café style.
Complete with "crass and vulgar" chrome, and I love it.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:54 pm

The Saint wrote:

Neither am I but I lived close enough to the bad times of the post war years to have a good understanding of and researched both the 'Motorbike Culture' and the historical causes of my home countries demise from manufacturing giant to manufacturing minnow to not swallow the revisionist line sprouted by post-Thatcher ideologues and jingoistic bullshitters.

There is still a lot in the UK that is very good and admirable, (I love visiting, especially in winter.) but is no longer the 'Country fit for Heroes' people like the post-war labour leaders wished to build.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Andy in NZ
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Andy in NZ

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:35 pm

I agree with Pete.
Watch a great Ken Loach movie "the spirit of 45"
Great doco on the rebuild and what became of it once the neo-liberals cashed in.
Enjoy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:25 pm

Hey, is this a bike forum or a fucken hang out for every political wannabe?
Had enough of that shit over the last 2 weeks with the bloody election tomorrow.

If "Donkey" wins, you can congratulate me for my unyielding support.
Back to top Go down
bikesnbones
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
bikesnbones

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:50 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Neither am I but I lived close enough to the bad times of the post war years to have a good understanding of and researched both the 'Motorbike Culture' and the historical causes of my home countries demise from manufacturing giant to manufacturing minnow to not swallow the revisionist line sprouted by post-Thatcher ideologues and jingoistic bullshitters.

There is still a lot in the UK that is very good and admirable, (I love visiting, especially in winter.) but is no longer the 'Country fit for Heroes' people like the post-war labour leaders wished to build.

Pete

If revisionism is putting right ill informed garbage as has been written on th this thread by people who don't even live in the UK and have picked up all their "facts" from the magazine shelf in the newsagents, , then I'll take it every time
You were born in 1957.
What the fuck do you know about living in the post war years in Britain.
Give me a fucking break from bar stool "experts"

Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:38 pm

Fuck me BnB, you joined this forum 1 week ago and the majority of your 50 posts have been in disagreement about shit that is not even bike related. If you wanna get political, go join the fucking Nazi party or something, this here is about Guzzi's, and predominately one specific model of Guzzi, El GRiSO.

Please, no more Harley shit, and definitely no more political crap!
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:59 pm

Stunning bike Wayne! Love it. Looks like a V7 with balls. Pillage!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:05 am

Sorry Wayne. I promised to pull my neck in but sometimes.... Well, just fuck!

I'll try to ignore this shit from now on.

Pete
Back to top Go down
little750
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
little750

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:08 am

+1 on what Ghezzi says.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   GRiSO Cafe Racer - Page 4 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO Cafe Racer
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next