GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Oil cooler warping plastic shite

Go down 
+14
novamotorcycles
Spruce Goose
guzziownr
Lazlokovacs
Kiwi_Roy
tvboy
Crazy speed
keenerkeen07
Blue
Bill Hagan
Pete Roper
Grisonut
plantboy
The Saint
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

Oil cooler warping plastic shite Empty
PostSubject: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:23 am

I met Gil (plantboy) in Nimbin last weekend and had a chance to have a look at his GRiSO. I made a number of observations which made me conclude that MG execised better quality control on the earlier GRiSOs. E.g. Better plastics and neater casting. Anyway, I was inspired to attempt to rectify the warpage. If you have a heat gun and 15 min worth of patients it's piss easy. I also removed the bottom locating tabs to reduce the pressure on the plastic.

I imagine that probably no one cares as there are a number of aftermarket options, but mine was pretty mangled so I had nothing to lose. After 5 days riding it remains perfect. Originally it took one day to warp.

Pictures when I get a chance.
Back to top Go down
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
plantboy

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:45 pm

Glad you are solving your plastic warpage problem Alan, and hope your group all made it back to Brissie safely.  It was a hot (37 C) ride home for me behind my new Dart flyscreen, dodging all the pot-hole repair loose gravel on the way.   Always good to meet up with another G12 rider.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:12 pm

Did they change the material of those grilles?

My 07 is still straight after 18K miles so was my 09 (36K miles).
My current Black Devil is also fine (8800 miles).
I live in a hot humid environment too...
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:18 pm

Pascal, I presume that the plastic is different. Gil's seemed like it had a bit of flake through it rather than being just soft black plastic.

Gil, yes all made it safe except that bloke who crashed on the way to. It was stinking hot. Got burned to buggery and all that beer didn't help with hydration. See ya next time.

bikeseamus likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:26 pm

My 1100 suffered from the dreaded 'Grill Droop' my 1200 never has. No idea why.

Pete

Back to top Go down
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
plantboy

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:50 pm

LOL Alan.  But mate, you were looking so cool in your 'Gold Coast leathers'.
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:03 am

plantboy wrote:
LOL Alan.  But mate, you were looking so cool in your 'Gold Coast leathers'.

Ha ha. Luckily I didn't have to depend on them for abrasive protection.
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:04 am

Pete Roper wrote:

Pete

Peculiar

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:28 am

The Saint wrote:
Pete Roper wrote:

Pete

Peculiar

Nor, FWIW, mine, tho I was certifiably peculiar well before that.  jocolor

Bill
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:28 am

Mine has warped on my Tenni 11, so thanks to this thread going to have a go with a hairdryer!!! Looked around a bit at the aftermarket stuff but nothing has made me hit the buy button yet.

Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:53 pm

OK, so had a go at this today.

Grill off, into the house, got some bits of kindling firewood that was the right size and pushed it into the gaps so it all looked straight. Borrowed other halfs hairdryer and just gently heated moving all over the grill
for about 10 mins.

Went to the pub.

Got home some time later and removed the wood. All is now straight again. Will see how long it lasts on the bike.......cheers for the idea Saint!
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:31 pm

No worries mate. I don't know if you noticed, those locating tabs put a bit of pressure on the grill, encouraging warping. I've cut off the bottom ones.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:28 pm

the Grill on my 1100 warped as well , i noticed that it was kinda cheap looking as well so i removed it and threw it in the old parts bin Rolling Eyes
so ....no grill at all and no problems to date..
it seems the cooler itself is not in any direct danger as its to the side and actually pretty robust. 
i like the look of the cooler with out the grill cover, imo it looks cleaner and more purposeful...and i haven't seen a aftermarket cover that i liked yet either..
my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:32 am

The Saint wrote:
No worries mate. I don't know if you noticed, those locating tabs put a bit of pressure on the grill, encouraging warping. I've cut off the bottom ones.

Good idea, will do that too. If it warps again I will buy something else, will see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:39 am

keenerkeen07 wrote:
the Grill on my 1100 warped as well , i noticed that it was kinda cheap looking as well so i removed it and threw it in the old parts bin Rolling Eyes
it seems the cooler itself is not in any direct danger as its to the side and actually pretty robust. 
i like the look of the cooler with out the grill cover, imo it looks cleaner and more purposeful...and i haven't seen a aftermarket cover that i liked yet either..
my 2 cents

I walked around my Tenni with the grill off and scratched my chin a bit thinking the same as you. I just can't get over the fact that they put the grill there so I should have the original or aftermarket something there?

If we go warp factor again, it will be in the bin.

Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:33 am

Bluesun9 wrote:
keenerkeen07 wrote:
my 2 cents

I walked around my Tenni with the grill off and scratched my chin a bit thinking the same as you. I just can't get over the fact that they put the grill there so I should have the original or aftermarket something there?

If we go warp factor again, it will be in the bin.

yeah i had trouble with the fact that they put a grill there as well, was thinking that the cooler its self must need protection,
but ive  had coolers with other bikes sitting straight out in front like on my Bandit 1200,that oil cooler just had a light screen as a grill and it has survived nicely since 1998 .. just don't be hitting it with high pressure water to clean the bugs out you can bend the little fins flat  Shocked  
The GRiSO cooler is made of stouter material and is to the side, also its reset in somewhat  , so no bugs an less chance of crap hitting it eh.  
I am thinking the GRiSO one may be an attempt at keeping us away from the cooler , re possible burns and liability but were smarter than that No
When i removed the grill i put the nice button head fasteners back in the holes provided , it looks to me like nothing is missing from stock that way.
Cheers
Keener
Back to top Go down
Crazy speed
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Crazy speed

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:52 pm

Well thanks much for the tip.
 I found the hairdryer was not hot enough so I used a heat gun and did good....
 about 20 minutes.  looks great again.
  I was gonna buy one of the  nice metal replacements but didn't really see one I especially liked .
    And...I dont want the oilcooler to be a design cue or "feature".
  I feel that it is not easy to improve the styling or design of a car or bike over the factory engineers and trained designers.
 people who have spent a lot of time in education and training for their specific calling.

I really like the styling of the GRiSO as is.  

Also...as I went to reinstall the cover, I noticed upon close inspection that it is not symmetrical !

The horizontal vanes change shape  along the grille.   Probably for air flow extraction? Has anyone noticed it?    
 Instead of trying to analyze and discern the reason, I found a photo of the bike and was able to reinstall the same way without flipping end to end!!??  scratch
Back to top Go down
Crazy speed
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Crazy speed

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:55 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Crazy speed
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Crazy speed

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:12 pm

And here is the before[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
pic showing the warpage
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:55 pm

The subtle shape of those fins is what I like about it. Some thought went into it.
I doubt it effects airflow. Just a cosmetic detail.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:37 am

I was worried about getting a rock in there on the Dempster so I made one from aluminium with a bunch of 1/4" holes drilled in it
the front opening was protected by wire mesh, I should have painted it flat black.

Last time I was back in Auckland Kiwi-Dave gave me one he took off so I incorporated that

Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:34 am

re the hairdryer/heat gun fix.... won't they just warp back again?

Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:40 pm

Tried this today. Clamped a file to the cover and heated until it was too hot to touch. It's cooling off in the photo and is nice and straight.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Spruce Goose
Carlotto
Carlotto
Spruce Goose

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:18 am

I always thought the fin shape was to help create a venturi effect while at speed - i put in one of those metal Stucchi ones that have asymmetric openings that are smaller in front than the rear, which reinforced my original assumption. That model also has an adjustable set of baffles you can slide open or closed for more cooling, I just leave them in the open position. I could be way wrong. Probably. Oh well it’s metal now so no warping.
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:22 am

how are the hairdryer/heat gun repairs holding up? I'm inclined to give it a go but worried that they'll just warp back once in service....

Dilliw likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil cooler warping plastic shite   Oil cooler warping plastic shite Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Oil cooler warping plastic shite
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next