GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative

Go down 
+8
Steak
Grisonut
Pete Roper
beetle
Tolle09
Bill Hagan
Enzo the baker
sidrat
12 posters
AuthorMessage
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Empty
PostSubject: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:37 am

I don't like the look of a hugger on the GRiSO, so had installed the rubber solution and today was the first ride since installation, seems to work really well, very pleased Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Enzo the baker
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Enzo the baker

PostSubject: Really?   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:06 am

I edited this post, sorry if I offended anyone. I just think the GRiSO benefits from the hugger. It maybe cultural as huggers in the Western US seem to the norm. Why is there such resistance to a hugger?

Last edited by Enzo the baker on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:51 am

I don't think that the OP's fix is ugly.  Besides, one would have to have a serous up-skirt sort of fetish to contort enough to see it, anyway.   Very Happy

I have huggers on my GRiSO and Norge. I like the looks of the huggers, but am not persuaded that they are especially effective in protecting the shocks.

OTOH, I do think that this product -- which I also have mounted on both GRiSO and Norge -- does keeps road crap off of the shocks.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I take those off and reinstall at rear tire changes.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Hagan on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Tolle09

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:15 am

I have one of those and a hugger on the Sport, the sock was from the GRiSO I sold so had it laid around.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:30 am

hey enzo, you can't offend me, everyone on the planet is entitled to their own point of view :-)

I too thought they were, to quote your earlier post "fucking ugly", but i didn't want a shock sock, might keep the shock too warm and i would worry that things my be deteriorating while i cant see anything.

I don't mind huggers, but i love the look of the single sided swing arm and the whole wheel and tyre on view. I have used the very shorty ones like the one in your piccy and find that the muck still gets over the top and onto the shock, maybe we have more rain here!

Finally i thought it was worth a go, as someone had made the pattern and the rubber was only £5.99 delivered on ebay.

You really cant see it on the bike from a normal viewing angle, so i shall see how it goes this riding season .

Nice hugger though, who's makes it?
Back to top Go down
Enzo the baker
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Enzo the baker

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:29 am

Agostini Mandello Carbon Fiber Rear Fender,  I got it through AF1 Racing out of Texas.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:49 pm

Enzo, I don't mind the hugger look, I simply hated the Skidmarx one I had. Poor design. I wanted one of the Stucchi ones but couldn't get one. Hence the sock.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:01 pm

Two things put me off the Skidmarx. Firstly several stories of breakage and secondly it flapped around and was noisy in a bad way on the goat tracks around here. It also detracted from the looks.

I was dubious about the shock sock at first but it works very well and doesn't seem to have any negative impact of shock function so I'm now happy with this sollution.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:34 pm

I have the Skidmarx on both my bikes and I had one on my 09...
Never had a problem with them but I use extra rubber washers on all mounts and I pull slightly upward on the hugger as I tighten the bolts simultaneously so it's away from the tire as much as it will allow.
I also happen to like the look so I'm golden...
Back to top Go down
Enzo the baker
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Enzo the baker

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:38 pm

After thinking about this for a while and a drinking a few Dos Equis I think that the shock cover makes better sense for those of us that live in damp or normal climates. I live in Arizona and it's pretty dry 99% of the time.  If you look at my picture my shock and underside fender are pretty clean. I put the hugger on about four months ago and I noticed it was pretty clean under there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:05 pm

Personally, I think the swingarm protects the shaft and seal from any direct hits.
Considering suspension units should be serviced every 25,000km, to me that is a good time for a new seal and possible upgrade of internals anyway .................................... so I don't care.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:12 pm

I love my Skidmarx hugger. To each his own...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:24 pm

Unfortunately, I have lots of skid marks, but I wouldn't like to hug them. geek
Back to top Go down
Tod.
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Tod.

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:28 pm

I went with the shock sock a few years ago, but the only ones available at the time were from R&G at £25! Hell! That's ten pints o' beer. So I cut up an old neoprene wetsuit I got too fat for, stitched Velcro on it to make removal easier and couple of zip ties, 10 pints of beer saved. So inconspicuous that no one notices it. Been on there for a of 3 years now. No adverse effects.
Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
NorthernProducer

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:30 am

Bill Hagan wrote:
I don't think that the OP's fix is ugly.  Besides, one would have to have a serous up-skirt sort of fetish to contort enough to see it, anyway.   Very Happy

I have huggers on my GRiSO and Norge. I like the looks of the huggers, but am not persuaded that they are especially effective in protecting the shocks.

OTOH, I do think that this product -- which I also have mounted on both GRiSO and Norge -- does keeps road crap off of the shocks.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I take those off and reinstall at rear tire changes.

Bill
Bill, I went to the Traxxion link you provided and found that shock sock to comes in 4 lengths...6" thru 9". What size did you find fits the Grizo best? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:16 am

Cannot go check exacts on mine quickly, but found an email I sent another GRiSO guy two years ago.

Pretty sure you want the 8" version.  Will measure later today or perhaps someone else will chime in to confirm … or deny!

FWIW, if you are ham-fisted like me, see if you can get your wife to install.  What a PITA.  Could have used Kathi's little fingers.  I finally grabbed a pair of long, bent, needle-nose pliers so I could pull the @#$%^&0(*&^% into position.

BTW, on a (somewhat) related note, I’ve also been pleased with the "fenda extenda,” too.  http://www.fendaextenda.com

Looks fine and, while I am not certain about it really keeping muck off the front of the engine lump — which is why I got it — I have found two deep nicks on the underside of mine.  Given the classic way that front tires “toss” nails to the rear resulting in flats, am wondering if the extender somehow “shortstopped” nails that otherwise might have led to a rear problem?  No claim as to that, but it’s interesting to me.

And, I just used the glue, i.e., not the screws to hold it on.  Looks better that way; besides, it’s still there. :-)

Daffodil “scouts” are peeking out here.  It’s only 3 March, so I think they are stooooopid.  But, whatever, makes me believe winter will one day let go!

Bill
Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
NorthernProducer

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:43 am

Bill Hagan wrote:
Cannot go check exacts on mine quickly, but found an email I sent another GRiSO guy two years ago.

Pretty sure you want the 8" version.  Will measure later today or perhaps someone else will chime in to confirm … or deny!

FWIW, if you are ham-fisted like me, see if you can get your wife to install.  What a PITA.  Could have used Kathi's little fingers.  I finally grabbed a pair of long, bent, needle-nose pliers so I could pull the @#$%^&0(*&^% into position.

BTW, on a (somewhat) related note, I’ve also been pleased with the "fenda extenda,” too.  http://www.fendaextenda.com

Looks fine and, while I am not certain about it really keeping muck off the front of the engine lump — which is why I got it — I have found two deep nicks on the underside of mine.  Given the classic way that front tires “toss” nails to the rear resulting in flats, am wondering if the extender somehow “shortstopped” nails that otherwise might have led to a rear problem?  No claim as to that, but it’s interesting to me.

And, I just used the glue, i.e., not the screws to hold it on.  Looks better that way; besides, it’s still there. :-)

Daffodil “scouts” are peeking out here.  It’s only 3 March, so I think they are stooooopid.  But, whatever, makes me believe winter will one day let go!

Bill
Thanks Bill...I'll hold off ordering until you get a chance to measure yours. BTW...good idea about having the wife do the install. She'll like that and I notice a little chuckle from her when I told her about getting a sock. She mumbled something about her V7 not needing any "foot wear".

Winter is on the way back to Tennessee tomorrow. 4" of new snow predicted and temp's 25 degrees below normal again. The daffodil's we saw in late January are gone!
Back to top Go down
jeremyb
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
jeremyb

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:29 pm

Bill Hagan wrote:

Bill

Yup, Bill is correct. I ordered and fitted an 8inch version of the Traxxion sock shock last fall. Fitted the shock (now a Matris !) exactly.
And I did mine the 'easy' way: dismantled the entire rear end to do the 'Roper Recommended' swingarm / shock linkage regrease as well as install the new shock.
Only took me most of a week........

Incidentally, there was a lot of grease on the swingarm and shock linkage, and none on the driveshaft splines.......
However. I suspect a knowledgeable Guzzi expert has been in there before me: there was a protective layer of silicon goop on the Speedo sensor.
Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
NorthernProducer

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:37 pm

jeremyb wrote:
Bill Hagan wrote:

Bill

Yup, Bill is correct. I ordered and fitted an 8inch version of the Traxxion sock shock last fall. Fitted the shock (now a Matris !) exactly.
And I did mine the 'easy' way: dismantled the entire rear end to do the 'Roper Recommended' swingarm / shock linkage regrease as well as install the new shock.

Incidentally, there was a lot of grease on the swingarm and shock linkage, and none on the driveshaft splines.......
However. I suspect a knowledgeable Guzzi expert has been in there before me: there was a protective layer of silicon goop on the Speedo sensor.
Thanks for chiming in with the confirmation on the sock length...I appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:41 pm

Shock Socks?

Last edited by Street on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:07 pm

Shocked

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:39 pm

NorthernProducer wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
Bill Hagan wrote:

Bill

Thanks for chiming in with the confirmation on the sock length...I appreciate it.

Apologies for not checking sooner.  Just finished flu, have now slid into pneumonia.  Sad

Anyway, yes, wandered down to the garage (helped, actually, as I have been in a fit of feeling sorry for myself), and measured mine. As I had thought and jeremyb confirmed, 8.

You may be getting something similar, but our weather forecast is: "Rain this evening will change to snow and accumulate 6-10 inches before ending tomorrow morning." If the pouring rain were snow now, we'd have 10 feet.  Lordy.

Winter sucks; pneumonia is a pain.  But I've got a wife, whiskey, and fireplace, and all of the proper temps.   Very Happy

Bill

Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
NorthernProducer

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:19 pm

Bill Hagan wrote:
NorthernProducer wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
Bill Hagan wrote:

Bill

Apologies for not checking sooner.  Just finished flu, have now slid into pneumonia.  Sad

Anyway, yes, wandered down to the garage (helped, actually, as I have been in a fit of feeling sorry for myself), and measured mine. As I had thought and jeremyb confirmed, 8.

You may be getting something similar, but our weather forecast is: "Rain this evening will change to snow and accumulate 6-10 inches before ending tomorrow morning." If the pouring rain were snow now, we'd have 10 feet.  Lordy.

Winter sucks; pneumonia is a pain.  But I've got a wife, whiskey, and fireplace, and all of the proper temps.   Very Happy

Bill

Hey Bill...sorry you were under the weather (so to speak), but glad you are getting back on your feet. Also, appreciate you double checking the shock sock measurement.

We are getting rain (all day), it's about to turn to sleet and in about 2 hours it all turns to snow. This just isn't right for southern TN...now about all the talk about global warming...

John
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative   Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Rubber shock cover - hugger alternative
Page 1 of 1