GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Brake and clutch upgrade

Go down 
+9
Pete Roper
wardest
beetle
odder
Josh.C
FreshEgg
Steak
mark111
Charlie J
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:55 pm

I think you need one of this adapter if you are reusing the stock brake lines.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:11 am

Yep, Phang is correct.

The stock brake lines are really only suitable for stock bars. If you have risers or taller bars you'll need longer lines. Since I have Mana bars I am going to get some new brake lines made. I think in that case I will get a straight banjo on the master cylinder end so I can do away with the adapter.

On the bike:

With it set at 18 ('feel'), the performance is astonishing. I gave it a handful at 140km/h through a sweeper and it pulled up pretty bloody quick as well provide a lot of feedback. I won't be riding up into the mountains until we get some warm weather. I'll give it a workout then.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:19 am

hey Mark, I've got a question.

Is the throttle cables/housing interferes with the radial master cylinder and needs to be re-positioned?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:17 am

Yes it does.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Ad B
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ad B

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:58 pm

Hi all,

quite some time ago I was here.
I'm a bit less active on fora these days, sorry...
I rebuild my G12 to radial controls a few years back, winter 2011/2012.
The much to heavy to engage clutch was my reason for this rebuild.

As I'm not someone who just buys from the shelves...
I bought used brake and clutch controls from a Aprillia RSV 1000, which are also used on several Ducati's and the brake master on the big KTM's.
At the forum from "Guzzitech", I wrote a topic about that.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
After the first attempt, the clutch was lighter, but still a bit too much...
So I bought a used clutch master from a KTM RC8, rebuild it so it could use DOT oil instead of the mineral oil from KTM.
(Yes, strange, but KTM use DOT oil for the brake side and mineral oil for the clutch side...)
And I changed my Chinese reservoirs to the original Rizoma reservoirs... looks really better.
The Brembo radial brake master cylinder.
With me there's no interference with the throttle cables.
The KTM radial clutch master cylinder.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Foto 3 by Ad v.d. Biggelaar, on Flickr
Pritty face, isn't it?? You can see the Magura clutch control from KTM looks nearly as the Brembo brake control
I used 2 adapters like Beettle did, to use my original brake lines.
This set-up works perfectly for my, allready for some 3,5 years.

Ad B
Back to top Go down
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Josh.C

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:03 pm

Would used radial master cylinders off a Tuono go on the GRiSO ok?
Back to top Go down
Ad B
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ad B

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:35 am

Hi,

as far as I can discover, there are no Tuono's with radial master cylinder setup.
A RSV 1000 2004-2008 do have the Brembo radials.
The later RSV 1000 V4 R doesn't have hydraulic clutch.
Have you read that piece I wrote on Guzzitech?
At the brake side I have the radial master of a Aprillia RSV,
at the clutch side I started with one radial master of also a Aprillia RSV.
But later I went for a radial Magura from a KTM, it engaged my clutch even lighter.

Ad B

PS several younger Ducati's also use the same Brembo radials.
Back to top Go down
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Josh.C

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:44 am

You're right, Ad B. The Tuono's don't have radial master cylinders. I was wrong.

I haven't ready your piece on Guzzitech but I'll try and find it.

Thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:02 am

I used a Brembo radial brake m/c off a Yamaha R1 on the Bellagio. I did need new braided lines, but the brake light switch has identical connectors.
Back to top Go down
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Josh.C

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:12 pm

ghezzi wrote:
I used a Brembo radial brake m/c off a Yamaha R1 on the Bellagio. I did need new braided lines, but the brake light switch has identical connectors.

Did you do your own brake lines? I think mine were faulty from the start, as they've gone a dark brown/black burnt colour in places. I've never replaced brake lines before so not sure what the go is, but I figure if I'm going to upgrade the master cylinders I may as well replace the lines too.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:27 pm

I replaced my brake lines when I installed the radial m/c on mine. Custom lines from HEL in Queensland cost me $118.00 plus postage.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:36 pm

Josh.C wrote:
ghezzi wrote:

Did you do your own brake lines? I think mine were faulty from the start, as they've gone a dark brown/black burnt colour in places. I've never replaced brake lines before so not sure what the go is, but I figure if I'm going to upgrade the master cylinders I may as well replace the lines too.

I had custom lines made by HEL here in Brisbane as I also changed calipers so I needed Banjos with different angles both top and bottom.
The brown stain or burnt look I think is from UV, my OEM clutch line has the same appearance.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Last edited by ghezzi on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Josh.C

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:58 pm

ghezzi wrote:
I had custom lines made by HEL here in Brisbane as I also changed calipers so I needed Banjos with different angles both top and bottom.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately they don't seem to have a kit for the GRiSO but I'll contact them and find out what details they need.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:59 pm

Hot tip Josh, they don't fit lines to your bike or encourage ride in ride out customer service, but if you ask nicely they will make up a custom set of hoses to suit your needs while you wait.
I trucked my bike in.
Back to top Go down
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Josh.C

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:35 pm

ghezzi wrote:
Hot tip Josh, they don't fit lines to your bike or encourage ride in ride out customer service, but if you ask nicely they will make up a custom set of hoses to suit your needs while you wait.
I trucked my bike in.

Good stuff. So did they measure your bike up for you or did you give them the exact lengths and they just cut them to size?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:22 pm

They measured my bike and cut to size then attached the banjos so there would be no twists in the lines when fitted.
In the photo above you can see I have changed the layout from standard.
Back to top Go down
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Josh.C

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:47 pm

Cool. Thanks Wayne. New lines has been on my To Do list for a while now.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:03 am

Got my 16 RCS. Reservoir and switch coming from different sellers too. I couldn't find a dealer who had all three items in stock who would ship to Australia (who wasn't charging an arm and a leg). Grr.

Why does Brembo force you to buy all three separately? scratch

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:16 am

Oooooh. Puuurty! And with the folding lever Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:43 am

It's on and works a treat. It makes the clutch feel light as a feather. Seriously. My first thought was the clutch wasn't functional. Laughing

I highly recommend this upgrade.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Ad B
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ad B

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:43 am

Hi Beetle,

looks good.
Can you measure the force, needed to engage your clutch?
I did it with this:
I pull 8 à 9 kg now to engage my clutch.
(started with original setup: 12 kg engaging my clutch...)

Ad B
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:02 am

8.5 kg

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Ad B
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ad B

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:58 am

That's Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
cheers
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 5:28 pm

Thread bump.
I was looking over a Duc Diavel yesterday.  I noticed they have Brembo radial master cylinders with switch-ware, mirror mounts as per factory requirements .
Aftermarket reservoir covers available to hide the Duc brand and plenty MC on Ebay at a reasonable price.
EBAY Clicky

Ebay Clicky

What I am useless at finding out,  What are the specs of these master cylinders fitted to the Diavel.

Mick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 8:13 pm

Hey Mick, I looked at those pictures, brake has stop light wires, but clutch doesn't appear to have starter lock-out switch.

Brake M/C will be pumping fluid to power calipers similar to yours.
Checking piston sizes of calipers and slave cylinders will confirm.

I used a Brembo radial M/C off an R1 Yamaha, with calipers (axial mount) off a 998R Ducati.  Very Happy

Beetles set up is the ducks nuts!

I just imported a front end off a 2004 Multistrada from Sun Coast Cycle Sports, forgot all about my need (or want) of a radial clutch m/c.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Brake and clutch upgrade
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next