GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Skyline Drive

Go down 
+9
Grisonut
NorthernProducer
Pete Roper
bioman
Street
wardentm
cbxtc6
b3177h
13 posters
AuthorMessage
b3177h
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
b3177h

Skyline Drive Empty
PostSubject: Skyline Drive   Skyline Drive Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:07 am

On a flight back from Germany last month I sat next to an old greek man who turns out to own a pancake house in Front Royal, Virginia, right at the beginning of skyline drive. (L'Dees pancake house if anyone is interested 10/10 would go back again) About a 2 hour drive from where I live. So hey I had some vacation days to burn before I loose them so I figured I would take a day trip. Packed the bike the night before, early morning wake up and I made a day out of it.

9+ hours on the bike and 400+ miles a great way to spend the day. Butt was sore on the highway ride home. Got 47 MPG too which is not too bad.

Scenery was beautiful and roads were great but did not get to enjoy them to the fullest since I was worried about getting speeding tickets(apparently it was strictly enforced in the park, I didn't see a single cop/park ranger the entire time)

Anyway here's some pictures (I think I uploaded them correct)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
cbxtc6
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
cbxtc6

Skyline Drive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive   Skyline Drive Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:11 am

My GF and I am headed that way next month, on the GRiSO. Do you have a favorite campground in, or out of the Nat'l Park?
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

Skyline Drive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive   Skyline Drive Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:33 pm

Thanks for the pics, I just want to go and get the big G out and go !!!!!!
Regards from Tasmania.
Caoi
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

Skyline Drive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive   Skyline Drive Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:52 pm

Sweet!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“Danger + Survival = Fun.” - Neil Peart

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

Skyline Drive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive   Skyline Drive Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:41 pm

Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Skyline Drive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive   Skyline Drive Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:48 pm

The Shenandoah valley! Beautiful!

Last time I was there I was on this!

That was the year the National Rally was held in VA.

Good times on the BRP.

Pete

Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

Skyline Drive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive   Skyline Drive Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:06 pm

Looks like a great area to ride - thanks for posting!
Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
NorthernProducer

Skyline Drive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive   Skyline Drive Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:24 pm

That's a great ride and have made the run myself. Thanks for the pic's...they brought back some great memories of the Skyline Drive.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Skyline Drive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive   Skyline Drive Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:38 pm

I did the Skyline once but I didn't get to enjoy it all that much that day...
It was 6.30/7.00 in the morning, kinda foggy and there were deers everywhere, unreal!
So we were at a slow pace.
Later on, we had a great time in the Blue Ridge and I was getting 53mpg average that day. It was on my 09 though...
Back to top Go down
Earl of Portchester
Carlotto
Carlotto
Earl of Portchester

Skyline Drive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive   Skyline Drive Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:58 am

Nice pics!
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Skyline Drive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive   Skyline Drive Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:11 pm

b3177h wrote:
On a flight back from Germany last month I sat next to an old greek man who turns out to own a pancake house in Front Royal, Virginia, right at the beginning of skyline drive. (L'Dees pancake house if anyone is interested 10/10 would go back again) About a 2 hour drive from where I live. So hey I had some vacation days to burn before I loose them so I figured I would take a day trip. Packed the bike the night before, early morning wake up and I made a day out of it.

9+ hours on the bike and 400+ miles a great way to spend the day. Butt was sore on the highway ride home. Got 47 MPG too which is not too bad.

Scenery was beautiful and roads were great but did not get to enjoy them to the fullest since I was worried about getting speeding tickets(apparently it was strictly enforced in the park, I didn't see a single cop/park ranger the entire time)

Good for you.  The north end of Skyline Drive is about 30 miles from our home outside of Winchester.

Have not tried that pancake place; will try it with another Grisista here soon. Thanks.

I (as are you in Somewhere, "Central, Pa.") am blessed to live near and ride on so many grand roads, e.g., this one starts ½ mile from my driveway: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

With the exception of I-81 (and, in a cage, even it will do; I'll be on it to Atlanta on Wednesday), it's hard to find a "bad" road inthis part of Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.  If only I had the time to ride 'em; retirement is way too busy.  Shocked

Bill
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Skyline Drive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive   Skyline Drive Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:50 pm

After looking at those pictures, now I've got that damned John Denver song stuck in my head.

Not that this is a bad thing...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
b3177h
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
b3177h

Skyline Drive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive   Skyline Drive Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:30 am

Nope, did not camp. Just rode thru in the day.
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

Skyline Drive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive   Skyline Drive Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:56 am

Riding on the wrong side of the road made me a bit nervous but other than that great.
Thanks
Caoi
Back to top Go down
remgitano
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
remgitano

Skyline Drive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive   Skyline Drive Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:31 pm

Thanks for the pictures! That's beauty! My almost son-in-law was through that area last month on his HD (ok, a v-twin turned the wrong way! Give me time. I'll get him to see the light!). He shared some similar images that were just awe inspiring. It's a haul from Colorado but I'll get there!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Skyline Drive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive   Skyline Drive Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Skyline Drive
Page 1 of 1