GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

New tank and Carc protector pics

Go down 
+13
Bill Hagan
Bulldog9
Steak
bahamazoo
lcjohnny
Street
bjor
opc
MalG
beetle
Pete Roper
diedel
Daves-i-Know
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Daves-i-Know
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Daves-i-Know

New tank and Carc protector pics Empty
PostSubject: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:28 am

Nothing earth shattering here, but thought I'd post a couple of pics of

my new Carc cover  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

and my new tank protector [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  

I had another similar tank pad that was black,

but I never really liked the look. I much prefer the see-through variety to

provide some protection from my locking tank bag.
Back to top Go down
diedel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
diedel

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:02 pm

Never had a clue what this tank protector thingy is all about. Outbreak of iron dicks, stone cold eggs or what else … Smile

Leone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:08 pm

Just a word of warning. Those CARC 'Protectors' mount on the brake mounting lugs on the casting. In the event of a heavy blow they will snap them off or at least crack them. You can't buy the cases separately so IMHO they'll actually do more harm than good in the event of an crash. They also add u sprung weight to an already hefty component.

Pete

Bulldog9 and BobW981 like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:17 pm

Pete, was about to send your CARC housing back but have another contact who can potentially make a stick on sacrificial carbon fibre housing protector. Only negative I can see so far is carbon is not a good conductor for heat, so the question to you is, "What temp does our diff run at and how much higher can we safely go before oil breaks down prematurely"?

If this all works out then we could try for a 1200 8V head protector.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:20 pm

Even if you thrash the bejasus out of an 8V the bevelbox shouldn't get hot enough to damage CF.
Back to top Go down
Daves-i-Know
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Daves-i-Know

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:36 pm

diedel said;'Never had a clue what this tank protector thingy is all about. Outbreak of iron dicks, stone cold eggs or what else ....'

Zippers, belt buckles and tank bags, diedel, zippers, belt buckles and tank bags.......and the fact that I have throbbing razor sharp foreskin.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:26 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Even if you thrash the bejasus out of an 8V the bevelbox shouldn't get hot enough to damage CF.

The "HOT" carbon fibre is not a problem, the fact it doesn't dissipate heat means the CARC housing (if partially covered with carbon fibre) will not be able to dissipate heat as efficiently.
Therefore the oil temp inside would increase. My guestimation is the diff gets up to about 70-75*C.

I have already noticed with c/f wheels fitted, the rim retains heat and the tyres run slightly warmer, a good thing on cold wet days.
Also, because of my 4340 axle, and alloy hubs attached to the centre of the c/f wheel, these bits retain heat and the diff is quite warm to the touch.
The spokes of the carbon wheel remain cool, hence my observation that c/f is not a good conductor of heat, like alloy.

These are the extra metal bits that are currently attached to my crownwheel. The disc is the only real means of dissipating heat.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:48 pm

Should I be worried that I find that a bit sexy?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Nah! You were a gonner the minute you bought the GRiSO, possibly even before. Just revel in it.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
opc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
opc

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:01 am

Daves-i-Know wrote:

I have been debating whether to get one of these as a nervous-nelly preventative measure in keeping the GRiSO logo from peeling...

Looks good!
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:15 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Just a word of warning. Those CARC 'Protectors' mount on the brake mounting lugs on the casting. In the event of a heavy blow they will snap them off or at least crack them. You can't buy the cases separately so IMHO they'll actually do more harm than good in the event of an crash.

Hi Pete,

I'm in process of buying my first GRiSO and am wondering about all sorts of things. The bike has left it's previous owner in Ireland and will be stored with a friend in Holland until i can drive it home to Norway in spring. I have -and have had- several Guzzis, but intend to grow old with this one. That's why I look at ways of protecting it, in case...
I see you warn against CARC protectors, and what you write sounds logic.
First question, how exposed to damage is the CARC in case of a tip over or a minor crash, is a protector needed?
If needed, I found through another link one with some kind of a rubber buffer in front to protect the CARC if the protector should be pressed in. Could this be enough to avoid the lugs from beeing damaged? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pete Roper wrote:
They also add u sprung weight to an already hefty component.

I see bikes with both protector and numberplate holder fixed to the brake mounting. Other than looking a bit clumsy and obviously endanger the brake mounting lugs, what would this extra weight do to the bike? Would it effect how the shock works?

Cheers,
Bjørn
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:25 pm

Anything that adds mass to the rear wheel and swingarm increases the unsprung weight and should be avoided. In reality there is so much mass in the wheel, brake and bevelbox that the addition of a loop of mild steel tubing will probably be of little consequence.

I'm not a fan of any of these devices. If you are worried the Stucchi type plastic protectors or something similar to Evans cover is probably the best. If the worst women to the worst it probably wouldn't be too hard to find an undamaged case, I have several, if cosmetic perfection is important for you.
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:29 pm

Thanks Pete. No it's a thing to be used, and it doesn't matter if it shows, - a little at least...Wink
If it's only there to prevent cosmetical damage and not to prevent the case from being destroyed, I'll probably skip it.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:21 pm

Pete wrote:

If the worst women to the worst

Freudian slip, Pete?  Very Happy

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:04 pm

Which came first, the women, or...?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:26 pm

😂 I really should proofread before hitting send….

Bill Hagan and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:02 pm

Bjor has really good manners
and really good english

He translated round "the worst women" and did not mention it lol
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:19 am

if only had you had just typed "poofread"... What a Face
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:40 am

You can get fucked!🙄
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:32 am

lcjohnny wrote:
and really good english

It's risky business to make jokes on others in a foreign language, easy to be misinterpreted...
Better leave it to the natives... Wink
But thanks for good words Smile

Bill Hagan, lcjohnny, SMTCapeCod, Roth and gnome like this post

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:53 pm

bjor wrote:
lcjohnny wrote:
and really good english

It's risky business to make jokes on others in a foreign language, easy to be misinterpreted...
Better leave it to the natives... Wink
But thanks for good words Smile

I don't know about that.  We met two spectacular Norwegians traveling through Seattle on their round the world Nimbus tour, King Croesus Contempt for Death Tour.  Laughed an awful lot that weekend, those were a couple of funny dudes.  Klaus and Torvald...  A little bit of Akavit really got us going!    Pillage!

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

LBC Tenni and Bill Hagan like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:25 pm

It was Klaus and Tormod, but no matter. We did have a lot of laughs with those guys, didn't we?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

Steak, LBC Tenni and Bill Hagan like this post

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:17 am

Steak wrote:

I don't know about that.  We met two spectacular Norwegians traveling through Seattle on their round the world Nimbus tour, King Croesus Contempt for Death Tour.  Laughed an awful lot that weekend, those were a couple of funny dudes.  Klaus and Torvald...  A little bit of Akavit really got us going!    Pillage!

That's a fantastic story! I've heard about the two, but never met them. What a trip, and on 70 years old Nimbus with open valves and all! Smile Nimbus was the pride of Denmark, used to distribute mail across the country.
What surprises me the most though is not that they came alive back home or that the bikes made it, but that they still had some aquavit left after having been on the road for so long...
Strange...

LBC Tenni and Bill Hagan like this post

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:06 pm

All that was available to us in Seattle was Linie, which is quite nice.  Maybe a half dozen or so of us were sitting around, telling stories and enjoying the Linie, which soon ran out.  Not to worry, Tormod went out to his sidecar rig and came back with a care package he had just picked up.  After digging through it for a bit he came out with an aquavit that was really something special, but I can't remember the name of the distiller.  It was quite good though, and before the night was through, that one laid empty as well.

It was a wonderful night amongst friends!

Here is a link to the chronicle of the entire trip:  https://kingcroesus.blogspot.com

They passed through Seattle at the end of November in 2009 if I remember correctly.  Street saw them off over Snoqualmie Pass as the first snow of the season was falling.

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

LBC Tenni likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:12 pm

Steak wrote:
All that was available to us in Seattle was Linie, which is quite nice.  Maybe a half dozen or so of us were sitting around, telling stories and enjoying the Linie, which soon ran out.  Not to worry, Tormod went out to his sidecar rig and came back with a care package he had just picked up.  After digging through it for a bit he came out with an aquavit that was really something special, but I can't remember the name of the distiller.  It was quite good though, and before the night was through, that one laid empty as well.

It was a wonderful night amongst friends!

A good story on why we love what we are doing Smile

Regarding the bottle Tormod fetched, could it be the one showed in the video, Simers Taffel Aquavit?
A good one, but here's a couple of others that in my humble opinion are better. Just in case... Wink

LBC Tenni likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New tank and Carc protector pics
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next