GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

New tank and Carc protector pics

Go down 
+13
Bill Hagan
Bulldog9
Steak
bahamazoo
lcjohnny
Street
bjor
opc
MalG
beetle
Pete Roper
diedel
Daves-i-Know
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:34 pm

bjor wrote:
Steak wrote:
All that was available to us in Seattle was Linie, which is quite nice.  Maybe a half dozen or so of us were sitting around, telling stories and enjoying the Linie, which soon ran out.  Not to worry, Tormod went out to his sidecar rig and came back with a care package he had just picked up.  After digging through it for a bit he came out with an aquavit that was really something special, but I can't remember the name of the distiller.  It was quite good though, and before the night was through, that one laid empty as well.

It was a wonderful night amongst friends!

A good story on why we love what we are doing Smile

Regarding the bottle Tormod fetched, could it be the one showed in the video, Simers Taffel Aquavit?
A good one, but here's a couple of others that in my humble opinion are better. Just in case... Wink
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My grandmother came from Norway (Skudeneshavn, Rogaland) as a teenager, and I grew up eating Norwegian foods, but she was a teatotaler, so we were never exposed to any of the classic Norwegian spirits. I have plenty (ehem) of experience exploring my Irish/Scottish/Italian/German adult beverage heritage, so time to look into this Norwegian spirit.

Steak and LBC Tenni like this post

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:38 pm

bjor wrote:
Steak wrote:
All that was available to us in Seattle was Linie, which is quite nice.  Maybe a half dozen or so of us were sitting around, telling stories and enjoying the Linie, which soon ran out.  Not to worry, Tormod went out to his sidecar rig and came back with a care package he had just picked up.  After digging through it for a bit he came out with an aquavit that was really something special, but I can't remember the name of the distiller.  It was quite good though, and before the night was through, that one laid empty as well.

It was a wonderful night amongst friends!

A good story on why we love what we are doing Smile

Regarding the bottle Tormod fetched, could it be the one showed in the video, Simers Taffel Aquavit?
A good one, but here's a couple of others that in my humble opinion are better. Just in case... Wink

This has taken hijacking a thread to new levels!  Very Happy

I just read this as a primer: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I am now of the opinion that Steak should ban bjor unless the latter recants his Norge-ish affectation for that vile potato stuff for the true elixir of Guzzisti, Grappa.  cheers

Seriously, the odds of being able to sample any of bjor's recommended Norwegian swill ... erm ... I mean ambrosia easily here in Cross Junction are nil.  Maybe Norway's embassy in D.C. can point out a source (or even offer a sample!), but I will take a look in some effete liquor stores next time we are in the metroblob.  

Bill

P.S.  I am off now to read a bit in bed while sipping not Grappa, but a (horizontal) finger of bourbon.   king

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:23 pm

If there is a Total Wine store in your metroblob, they likely have Aalborg Taffel. It’s a very smooth one with nice caraway flavor and a touch of citrus. It’s Danish style, but made in Norway.

Bill Hagan and bjor like this post

Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:33 am

Bulldog9 wrote:

My grandmother came from Norway (Skudeneshavn, Rogaland) as a teenager, and I grew up eating Norwegian foods, but she was a teatotaler, so we were never exposed to any of the classic Norwegian spirits. I have plenty (ehem) of experience exploring my Irish/Scottish/Italian/German adult beverage heritage, so time to look into this Norwegian spirit.

Very interesting! That's a beautiful part of coastal Norway, with lots of lovely GRiSO-roads. You should definately get aquainted with it! Let me know when you're comming! Smile
To make it even more tempting, i give you a link to an overview of the more than 500 different kinds of Aquavit only in Norway Wink
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bulldog9 likes this post

Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:57 am

Bill Hagan wrote:

This has taken hijacking a thread to new levels!  Very Happy

I just read this as a primer: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I am now of the opinion that Steak should ban bjor unless the latter recants his Norge-ish affectation for that vile potato stuff for the true elixir of Guzzisti, Grappa.  cheers

Seriously, the odds of being able to sample any of bjor's recommended Norwegian swill ... erm ... I mean ambrosia easily here in Cross Junction are nil.  Maybe Norway's embassy in D.C. can point out a source (or even offer a sample!), but I will take a look in some effete liquor stores next time we are in the metroblob.  

Bill

P.S.  I am off now to read a bit in bed while sipping not Grappa, but a (horizontal) finger of bourbon.   king

Point taken Bill. God forbid if Steak was to ban me from the Ghetto Shocked

Was never my intention to make this into som sort of common beverage blog, but it's easy to get carried away when you're talking about the really important things in life. And there is a link to Italia as well, Aqua Vita, the water of life!

I'll stop this now before it leads me into Norwegian food as well, such the delcious sheep head that goes well togehter with another dedicated Aquavit,
Smalahove Akevitt. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have a couple of Birra Morettis downstairs. I'll get one now to neutralize it all.
Salute Bill! Wink

Steak, LBC Tenni, Bill Hagan and JohnA like this post

Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:00 am

bjor wrote:
Bulldog9 wrote:

Very interesting! That's a beautiful part of coastal Norway, with lots of lovely GRiSO-roads. You should definately get aquainted with it! Let me know when you're comming! Smile
To make it even more tempting, i give you a link to an overview of the more than 500 different kinds of Aquavit only in Norway Wink

Definitely will do, adding you to the list.

As for the counselors worries about non Grappa thread drift, he will recover.... I've got a decent local vendor of spirits and will go over to see if they have any of this.

But to keep this GRiSO oriented, after say a day of wrenching on the GRiSO, greasing the swing arm bearings, adjusting the valves, balancing the TB's, loading a Beetle map, and applying a coat of only the finest ceramic based wax to the tank and bodywork, how should I kick back to enjoy this beverage? Basketball

Bill Hagan and bjor like this post

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:16 am

Back on topic regarding tank protectors, I remember giving it the big one about not needing tank protectors then a certain exposed zip bomber ripped that part of the tank badly. Even with careful placement of a huge black tastless tank protector was unable to hide all of the damage.
Damage is quite shameful on an otherwise Ok looking bike, my impact on ownership what a c**t.
Pity Moto Guzzi never made a tank bra that looks hideous that most people never want to keep, seen them made for lots of bikes.

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:00 am

Buellbloke wrote:
Back on topic regarding tank protectors, I remember giving it the big one about not needing tank protectors then a certain exposed zip bomber ripped that part of the tank badly. Even with careful placement of a huge black tastless tank protector was unable to hide all of the damage.
Damage is quite shameful on an otherwise Ok looking bike, my impact on ownership what a c**t.
Pity Moto Guzzi never made a tank bra that looks hideous that most people never want to keep, seen them made for lots of bikes.

^^^^^^

Grappa hater.  Wink

BTDT with zippers and belt buckles, so view, as you, tank protectors as a necessary evil.

As for bras -- of the moto (and auto) kind; few object to the more important sort except to occasional griping about difficult fasteners cheers  -- I have seen serious damage to finishes from those on motorcycles and cars.  Yes, all from neglect in the sense that owners failed to remove the bras now and then to check for condesation and other issues that led to expensive fixes of rust, paint, etc.

Not sure that would be much of an issue on the tupperware tanks of Grisos and Norges, but it sure can wreak havoc on painted metal tanks and hoods.

And, WRT CARC protectors, Pete's point is well taken, but I had (and still have) one of the "loop" sort on my GRiSO when I had FLASH BANG right-side dismount rounding a sharp downhill turn some years ago.  

That did grind down the protector some, but did no damage to the mounting points.

I sanded the road abrasion marks down and repainted it.  I think the insurance adjustor was impressed that I did not try to get reimbursed for that and thus was "good" to me on other aspects of the claim.

In fairness, this was a relatively low-speed spill, but the landing -- at least mine! Evil or Very Mad -- was unpleasant and jarring enough!

I still worry about Pete's caution, tho, and now, after seeing his mention (above somewhere) that the part is inexpensive, I might try to source a spare for a rainy day and remove the "protector."

Bill
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:28 am

Bill Hagan wrote:
Buellbloke wrote:

^^^^^^

Grappa hater.  Wink

BTDT with zippers and belt buckles, so view, as you, tank protectors as a necessary evil.

As for bras -- of the moto (and auto) kind; few object to the more important sort except to occasional griping about difficult fasteners cheers  -- I have seen serious damage to finishes from those on motorcycles and cars.  Yes, all from neglect in the sense that owners failed to remove the bras now and then to check for condesation and other issues that led to expensive fixes of rust, paint, etc.

Not sure that would be much of an issue on the tupperware tanks of Grisos and Norges, but it sure can wreak havoc on painted metal tanks and hoods.

And, WRT CARC protectors, Pete's point is well taken, but I had (and still have) one of the "loop" sort on my GRiSO when I had FLASH BANG right-side dismount rounding a sharp downhill turn some years ago.  

That did grind down the protector some, but did no damage to the mounting points.

I sanded the road abrasion marks down and repainted it.  I think the insurance adjustor was impressed that I did not try to get reimbursed for that and thus was "good" to me on other aspects of the claim.

In fairness, this was a relatively low-speed spill, but the landing -- at least mine! Evil or Very Mad -- was unpleasant and jarring enough!

I still worry about Pete's caution, tho, and now, after seeing his mention (above somewhere) that the part is inexpensive, I might try to source a spare for a rainy day and remove the "protector."

Bill

That was a post from 2015 from what I have seen he's backtracked since then having never experienced snapped or broken caliper lugs. Might even have been one of your posts Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:59 pm

It's taking a while but I'm getting on with developing carc and tappet cover protectors that don't endanger the frame or back brake mount.

When I get them sorted I'll either give the moulds to someone who wants to make and market them or make the odd set on request.

These are not finished more clearcoat yet  to fill the carbon weave and brass rub rails to go on the top edge but you can see where I'm going with them. The next set will be vacuum formed on to the mould to try for better definition.

This is what I've got on my GRiSO, carbon twill laid over the plastics.

Bill Hagan, lcjohnny, motor-timothy and Leone like this post

Back to top Go down
http://c-space-solutions.com/
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:51 am

Whaassat! Like that stylish cable hose thing you have around the out side of the barrel Laughing

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:38 am

Solar battery tickle charger

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:08 am

My solar charging system. Cost around US$50 for the panel and controller. Always keeps the battery
topped up.
I've taken a 12 volt feed from the controller to two switches and short white 12volt led strips.
When the bike battery is connected I have the led lights in my workshop regardless of the mains power.

Buellbloke likes this post

Back to top Go down
fotoguzzi
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
fotoguzzi

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 29, 2022 4:32 pm

Claus an Tormod spent a couple days at my house in Mpls doing maintenance and catching up, what a great pair.. I made a video.

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 29, 2022 8:53 pm

Fun video FG. We spent a couple of weeks with Klaus and Tormod in Seattle before sending them in your direction.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive.
When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive.” - Neil Peart

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:39 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Just a word of warning. Those CARC 'Protectors' mount on the brake mounting lugs on the casting. In the event of a heavy blow they will snap them off or at least crack them. You can't buy the cases separately so IMHO they'll actually do more harm than good in the event of an crash. They also add u sprung weight to an already hefty component.

Pete

I seem to recall you mentioning this before, another member chirped in that they had had a spill and the carc protector did its job admirably.
My particular carc protector has a tab and a rubber bung so flexing of the protector and subsequent snapping of the lugs is even less of an issue ...just thought I'd mention it Smile

As for tank protectors a jacket have since gotten rid of massively attacked the rear of my tank causing lots of nasty scratches.
Had to buy an epic protector short of having to respray the tank Sad
Can still see part of a scratch and the end of the red 8V but its better than the mess that exists underneath.

bjor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New tank and Carc protector pics   New tank and Carc protector pics - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New tank and Carc protector pics
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2