GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Tank Pin Stripe Removal

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Daves-i-Know
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Daves-i-Know

Tank Pin Stripe Removal Empty
PostSubject: Tank Pin Stripe Removal   Tank Pin Stripe Removal Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:58 am

I've always had kind of a 'take it or leave it' attitude with the tank stripes on my Tenni.
I have had a very brief moment of inspiration for alt tank colours and now am leaning toward the' leave it' option.
Anyone have any experience with either/or/both putting on and taking off factory stripes or decals?
I'm going to do some research on it (what did we do before computers?) but I thought Id see if any forum members had experience with it?
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Tank Pin Stripe Removal   Tank Pin Stripe Removal Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:54 pm

Use a heat gun or your wife's hair dryer if you have one, or both
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Tank Pin Stripe Removal   Tank Pin Stripe Removal Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:32 pm

The stripes on my tank (2014) have a clear coat paint (matte) over them. If you take them off, you will see where they were for sure. I found this out when the ethanol gas has caused bubbles under the stripes and they they pulled away from the tank a little. Maybe yours wasn't painted over, don't know. I like your model bike the way it is.
Back to top Go down
Daves-i-Know
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Daves-i-Know

PostSubject: Re: Tank Pin Stripe Removal   Tank Pin Stripe Removal Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:10 pm

Yeah, JohnA, unfortunately I found that out too late. Luckily I at least had the foresight to

experiment on the rear fender pin stripes first, so I averted any major catastrofuck.

It just leaves kind of a ghost impression where the decal was. The paint underneath is unprotected,

so I'll have to do something about that. Why would you factory clear coat over a pinstripe and

not at least coat underneath it? Sooner or later the stripes will deteriorate due to exposure to the

elements and UVrays. What happens then? Answer me Italy!
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Tank Pin Stripe Removal   Tank Pin Stripe Removal Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:02 pm

Daves-i-Know wrote:
Why would you factory clear coat over a pinstripe and

not at least coat underneath it? Sooner or later the stripes will deteriorate due to exposure to the

elements and UVrays. What happens then? Answer me Italy!

Perhaps the factory clear coat protects the stripes against the elements and UV rays? Do they really deteriorate over time?
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Tank Pin Stripe Removal   Tank Pin Stripe Removal Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:41 am

"Yeah, JohnA, unfortunately I found that out too late. Luckily I at least had the foresight to

experiment on the rear fender pin stripes first, so I averted any major catastrofuck."

I was able to order new stripes for my tank for like $3-4. I believe the tail and side stripes can be purchased separately if you want to "go back". Like I said mine is a 2014 but I would think you could get yours as well.
Back to top Go down
Daves-i-Know
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Daves-i-Know

PostSubject: Re: Tank Pin Stripe Removal   Tank Pin Stripe Removal Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:45 am

Where did you order your stripes from, JohnA? I was going to attempt a repaint but that sounds easier.

And bioman, everything deteriorates over time, my bathroom mirror tells me that every day!

Although I haven't applied any clearcoat, so maybe that's the ticket!
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Tank Pin Stripe Removal   Tank Pin Stripe Removal Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:25 pm

Daves-i-Know wrote:
everything deteriorates over time, my bathroom mirror tells me that every day!

Very Happy  That's why I have stopped looking in the mirror years ago!
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Tank Pin Stripe Removal   Tank Pin Stripe Removal Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:46 pm

"Where did you order your stripes from, JohnA? I was going to attempt a repaint but that sounds easier."

I had them ordered by the dealer here in Houston (MPH Cycles) Mike Haven. He had them in about a week.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tank Pin Stripe Removal   Tank Pin Stripe Removal Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Tank Pin Stripe Removal
Page 1 of 1