GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Lithium batteries in the US

Go down 
+14
Diablo Loco
GRD
EricS
MrGPz
Papa Lazarou
Steak
DangWangi
charliebigonions
Pete Roper
wardentm
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
klaas123
LBC Tenni
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 23, 2016 10:56 pm

Full frontal, oh yeah.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
DangWangi
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
DangWangi

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue May 24, 2016 10:01 am

LBC Tenni wrote:
Here is a pic DW. The Bikemaster is slightly smaller than the stocker, but the locking bracket still works if you shim the bottom with the included foam. I did have to bend the connectors on the leads a little flatter so they could attach from the front rather than the sides. The stock setup attaching from the sides caused some chafing of paint and plastic. The battery is very strong and no need to charge. If it lasts like it should I'll have no complaint. Go for it. Most brands are made in China or use Chinese components assembled elsewhere to claim another country of origin. The truth is most are Chinese regardless of what the label says. Don't pay a premium for a brand name or country of origin on the label.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks LBC Tenni! I think I'll give it a go. My original Yusa doesn't seem to want to ever start the GRiSO after sitting a night even thought it reads 12.3v off the bike, but I suppose that's not enough to turn over the motor anymore.
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue May 24, 2016 10:15 am

Always replaced with Motobatt with good results-4 terminals, too.
Back to top Go down
DangWangi
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
DangWangi

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat May 28, 2016 8:23 pm

LBC Tenni wrote:
GRiSO says vahruuum! With an authority not heard on lead-acid. cheers Lithium is good.

Mine arrived today as well LBCTenni...install was pretty much a perfect fit...one of the provided mats below, and one between the battery and battery box. Thanks for providing the battery details for purchase.
Back to top Go down
DangWangi
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
DangWangi

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat May 28, 2016 8:46 pm

I am curious..has anyone ever had to replace the cable connectors? Not sure if that's their official name..you know the L shaped part that crimps to the cables which then get attached to the battery? I may have over muscled my negative one a wee bit attaching it and I think it may have gotten a hair-line crack at the 90 degree bend...not sure if it will cause problems down the road but thought I might be pro-active and just crimp a new one on but cant find any on the interwebs.
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi,

Is there any updates on Lithium batteries?

I am in the market for one ASAP

They are selling Shorai here, surfing the net brings up Poweroad and Ultrabatt, has anyone had experience with the Ultrabatt?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:19 am

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Yes but, extra strength is not needed, as a good Lithium will outcrank a Lead/Acid any day - all the battery is doing under normal circumstances is starting your engine. Extra capacity after this is a moot point as the alternator takes over supply of electricity for normal running purposes. At the end of the day, if you have more Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) available than is needed for your engine you are wasting the extra capacity. That's why Todd offers 3 batteries in 16, 12 & 8 capacities - all of these are better than the lead acid specified

So this 14A unit should be good for my 8V?

BikeMaster: Battery Number: DLFP-14-A
Measurements (L X W X H): 134x88x145
Polarity: + -
Weight: 2.9 lbs
Replaces Load Battery: YB10A-A2, YTX14AH-BS, YB14-A2, YB14A-A1, YB14A-A2, YB14-B2
Cold Cranking Amps: 250
Battery Acid: Lithium Ion
Voltage: 12V
Charging Current [A] Std/Max: 2.5/10
Back to top Go down
GRD
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GRD

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:46 pm

MrGPz wrote:
Hi,

Is there any updates on Lithium batteries?

I am in the market for one ASAP

They are selling Shorai here, surfing the net brings up Poweroad and Ultrabatt, has anyone had experience with the Ultrabatt?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is the Lithium battery that was in my bike when I bought it, SSB Powersport.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A small advertising slip that was still with the battery stated that this battery was able to be charged with a normal 12 v Car Charger. Also a number of other plusses, longer life, quicker recharging, 1/3 of the weight of normal leas acid battery.
I've had it for about 4 months now.
Bike always shows 13.2 volts on start up and 14.0 while riding.
Other than that there is not much more I can tell you about it
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Firstly personal recommendation is to NOT use Shorai - not a solid product, nor is support any good over here.

Mine is an SSB LH14BS. Eric the CCA quoted (on the BikeMaster) is 250A, Mine has 425A. Probably will work, as it is equivalent to the Original L/A.

Standard car chargers are good as long as they DO NOT HAVE a de-sulphurising circuit. Always charge at 13.8 volts, and if you can, 14.2. I use a DC power supply where I can crank the numbers a bit.

Hope this helps for all...
Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:16 pm

A bump.  Had my first lithium battery fail.  SSB.  8 months old.  Daily runner.

Went to start the bike with the starter just kicking when everything went dead.  Warm bike mid ride.

Battery failed showing 0.1V...

Now the thing about lead batteries is that they usually start getting tired and when they are out of  CCA, there's enough charge for a bump start.  

This thing? no warning just lights out.  That'd be dandy at Outer Widgiemooltha.

So back to lead for Ned Ludd.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:18 pm

Something is clearly RONG for that to happen.
Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:44 pm

To go from 12V to zero I'm assuming it has an IC controller that's failed. Interesting.

I've one in my Laverda which has been no problems so I have a 50% fail rate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:23 pm

The battery may be recoverable - you will need a 14.2 Volt power source, and put it on overnight. It may recover by the next day, if not, get in touch with SSB and they may actually replace it. It may not be charging properly or the may be a leak on the bike, or it may just be a dud.
Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:45 pm

Bike checks out ok charging circuit fine.  Was initially worried at roadside without the multimeter as everything was checking out ok.  

Interesting reading on lipos (lifos?)  Very Happy

Far more reliable than lead but yes, duds happen.  They also have failsafes to control runaway reactions.
Internal shorts do not necessarily mean BOOM.    A case of better to fade away than burn out.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:51 pm

LiFePO4 (Lithium Ferrous Phosphate) is the correct term, as distinct from Lion (Lithium Ion) - slightly different technologies. Not meaning to be pedantic, but I do work in a scientific environment and the wrong term here will get you scorned for a 100 years or so!
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:11 pm

My Bikemaster battery is still going strong, approaching 3 years service.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:24 pm

I've had an SSB fail - after 12 months on the bike - similar symptoms. After testing it, Batteries Direct sent it back to SSB and a replacement was sent out. They are guaranteed for 12 or 24 months - check. It was merely inconvenient - a - that it failed in the first plane, & b - that it took a while for it to be replaced. Happy with the SSB, don't use anything else. Note that the Lite (merely 290 CCA) appears to work just as well on the V7 as the standard (425 CCA), now that the stand one is twice the price it used to be. The Lite I got recently was $180.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:29 pm

Like anything, there is a mean time before failure (MTBF) that is a best guess based on initial testing. LiFePO4 "should be" good for 10 years of life, but there will always be the runts of the litter (as in anything) that either defies the odds or prove the statistics.

I only know of one 2 other SSB Li batteries (thanks Mal) that "failed to proceed" and that was because in one the bike caught on fire - has a unique stink to it though, after the event. Mal has just explained the other.

If needed, I can create a thread in the technical section where we can discuss the pros and cons of different battery technologies... I have a fair bit on LiFePO4s currently!
Back to top Go down
iansteri
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
iansteri

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:22 pm

Bikemaster DLFP-20CH-BS has been discontinued....according to Chaparral Motorsports here in US. Looking for the right alternative.....
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:39 pm

I did the research on “AntiGravity” batteries sold in the US and at Revzilla.
Seem to have good reviews but wont ship to OZ.

I found a battery to fit the GRiSO as per size dimensions rather than bike model etc

Revzilla Clicky

Antigravity Battery Clicky
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:51 pm

So the Bellagio (936 cc) came with a Yuasa 18 A/h battery, 270 CCA
I initially replaced it with a 12 A/h Yuasa that only had 200CCA. My reasoning, a 1098 Ducati only has a 10 A/h battery with 180 CCA. I never had problems!

When I went fully sic I bought a SHORAI (which Tony hates and duly noted for my own personal future reference) LFX18A1-BS12. It is 18 A/h and 270 CCA. When I bought it the dealer said "no warranty" because their specs stated I should have the next size up.

I bought the highest possible output, in the smallest battery case size, it only weighs 1kg. So far it has lasted me 7 years. I have an Anti-Gravity in my smoker.

The point I wish to make is that Guzzi build bikes with oversized batteries, smaller will suffice if you want to customize for whatever reason.

Last edited by ghezzi on Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:25 am

DangWangi wrote:
I am curious..has anyone ever had to replace the cable connectors?  Not sure if that's their official name..you know the L shaped part that crimps to the cables which then get attached to the battery? I may have over muscled my negative one a wee bit attaching it and I think it may have gotten a hair-line crack at the 90 degree bend...not sure if it will cause problems down the road but thought I might be pro-active and just crimp a new one on but cant find any on the interwebs.

Yes the terminal on mine broke early on, it's not a good design.
I made a new one of some brass I had handy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Lithium batteries in the US
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2