GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Checking Oil

Go down 
+3
jretanacr
Pete Roper
Jhtjon
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Jhtjon
Carlotto
Carlotto
Jhtjon

Checking Oil Empty
PostSubject: Checking Oil   Checking Oil Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:30 am

let me preface by stating that I have been riding for most of my life.

Having read the manual many time I just don't understand the method for checking the oil level on my 2016 GRiSO. Once the engine is warm you burn the shit out of your hand trying to get the dip stick out then once it is out, its black and you cant see any oil on the stick. Am I missing something? I know that there is oil in the bike, and the light always goes out almost instantly when cranking. Does anyone have a easier to read stick or a better method to checking.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Checking Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Oil   Checking Oil Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:49 am

Rough the edge of one of the ribs on the stick up with a file, it makes it a lot easier to read.

Check the level with the bike upright and the stick just resting on the threads. It should be half way between the 'Add' and 'Full' marks. Once you know it's right measure it again with the bike on its side stand. Note where it is on the stick and that is your top up mark for future refference.

Back to top Go down
jretanacr
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
jretanacr

Checking Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Oil   Checking Oil Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:21 pm

How much time should the engine run for addecuate oil level to be checked? Is 1 minute enough?
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Checking Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Oil   Checking Oil Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:35 pm

Jhtjon wrote:
let me preface by stating that I have been riding for most of my life.

Having read the manual many time I just don't understand the method for checking the oil level on my 2016 GRiSO. Once the engine is warm you burn the shit out of your hand trying to get the dip stick out then once it is out, its black and you cant see any oil on the stick. Am I missing something? I know that there is oil in the bike, and the light always goes out almost instantly when cranking. Does anyone have a easier to read stick or a better method to checking.

Laughing

For sure the GRiSO dipstick is atrocious, I've considered spray-painting mine white except that the paint will probably dissolve in the oil. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Checking Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Oil   Checking Oil Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:44 pm

jretanacr wrote:
How much time should the engine run for addecuate oil level to be checked? Is 1 minute enough?

No need to run it at all. Half way between the 'Add' and 'Full' marks with the bike upright and then check it on the sidestand and note where the level is.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Checking Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Oil   Checking Oil Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:23 pm

Someone needs to come up with a stick that you can remove without a wrench, one of my other Guzzis had one that plugged into an "O" ring fitted into the filler plug.

Another option would be to have a level switch at the tip.

I always have a bit of shop rag, lay the stick on that, you get a darker stain up to the oil level, usually dry it off first then dip it back in.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Checking Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Oil   Checking Oil Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:35 pm

Kiwi_Roy wrote:
Someone needs to come up with a stick that you can remove without a wrench, one of my other Guzzis had one that plugged into an "O" ring fitted into the filler plug.

Another option would be to have a level switch at the tip.

That's a Stelvio dipstick, same sump... I much preferred the dipstick in my Stelvio to the one in my GRiSO - So a Good Samaritan sourced one for me and I was thankful.

Part Number: 883144

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

Checking Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Oil   Checking Oil Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:10 pm

Probably won't apply to the earlier GRiSO 1100; that has a different sump, I recall.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Checking Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Oil   Checking Oil Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:47 pm

Nope. Same sump.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Checking Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Oil   Checking Oil Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Checking Oil
Page 1 of 1